Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 44

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
If there's one thing I'm sick of saying, myself, is that certain fans whine when a character isn't used because the performer is no longer with them (for various reasons) and then when they bring them back they say "[so and so] doesn't sound the same." The wonderful Catch 22 of "I hate the new characters and want the old ones back, but I want them to sound exactly the same."
Yeah. Like we said before it's better to keep the character alive with a recast than to retire the character altogether:

:smile::embarrassed::concern:: Then to retire the character!

Like they did with Mrs. Krebbapple on "The Simpsons" when Marcia Wallace passed on. When we think about it, it's a good thing that they didn't do that with the Muppets. Can you imagine a world without Kermit after Jim Henson's passing? It's best to have these characters live on even if they do sound a little different.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm all in favor of recasting characters. I mean, look at how big Cookie Monster came back when David took over the character. Heck, look at the 2 segments this year with Guy Smiley! Frazzle even popped up. Then you look at The Muppets... we had an advertising campaign with Rowlf, Scooter, Dr. Teeth. Characters we didn't think we'd see again other than a background cameo. We're getting to the really weird stage in The Muppets where the old characters are replacing the newer characters made to replace them.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said today's street story felt a tad uneven. It could've just been about Telly being nervous and quitting in the middle after seeing the others failures and make it about self-pride and whatnot. But then they added the coach who I don't think did anything constructive to the plot.

But hey, that's just me. That Pentatonix medley was wonderful though; half of those songs coming straight from the old "Numbers!" album. I also love how they keep bringing back Fran's Fat Blue lady for crowd scenes and whatnot.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
That Pentatonix medley was wonderful though; half of those songs coming straight from the old "Numbers!" album.
Not to mention that all of the number songs sampled (sans Pinball Number Count) were written by Jeff Moss. Kinda makes me wonder if that was a conscious decision, or if they were just chosen at random.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said today's street story felt a tad uneven. It could've just been about Telly being nervous and quitting in the middle after seeing the others failures and make it about self-pride and whatnot. But then they added the coach who I don't think did anything constructive to the plot.
You have a point there. It felt like 2 street stories crushed into one, and it seems like something that would either work better as a 2 part episode or something that would have worked better when they broke the street plot into segments. But overall, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Much more so than the last 3 episodes.

That Pentatonix medley was wonderful though; half of those songs coming straight from the old "Numbers!" album.
I'm going to say something blasphemous right now... I think they did Pinball Number Count better than the Pointer Sisters. Definitely much better than the Hebrew dub for sure. It really was nice to hear some classic songs covered, if briefly. Especially since they used Little Jerry's "Four" in the middle.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was very good. Tyler gave a great performance as Bela. The best part was when Telly won and Bela admits that he never went on a pogo stick. I loved when he didn't know what fun is, that explains a lot. The WOTD was very good. It's the first one with Stinky. The Number Medley by Pentatonix was amazing! Still, I wanna see Elmo and Big Bird's version of One and One Make Two and their and Abby's version of Three. I've only seen those once. Also, it was nice to see the Elmo Slide again.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, Bela's attitude was disturbing especially considering he's never been on a pogo stick and didn't know what fun was, so who's he to tell Telly that he's doing it wrong. Heck, even Oscar would have made a better coach than that. It seems like Bela's one of those characters who really doesn't seem to have a life and just spends his time meddling in other people's affairs. Just my thoughts on that.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Not a fan of Pentatonix, but the girl did great on One and One Make Two.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Bela's attitude was disturbing especially considering he's never been on a pogo stick and didn't know what fun was, so who's he to tell Telly that he's doing it wrong.

That was the joke. You know the saying, "those who can't, teach." I get what they were trying to do with the character. The whole, it's not about winning, it's having fun and taking the fun out of something for competition sake makes it hard, unrewarding work. But it seems that either they needed less time with the game and more training or ignore the training completely and spend more time on the games.