Your Thoughts: Muppets Live at the Hollywood Bowl September 8-10, 2017

cjd874

Reaction score
What I'm taking away from these clips is how much a disaster the recent Muppet Show was. These clips are great and what people want. Why they ever decided to go the route they went with the show is baffling.
Do you mean the ABC series? If so, I'm with you on that. I watched one or two episodes and then called it quits.

But that was then. This is now. Kermit and the gang have moved on to bigger and better things like performing at the Hollywood Bowl. Why dwell on the previous failures when their HB shows have earned rave reviews? They even led to a trending Twitter topic called #MuppetsTakeTheBowl!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I will never fault the ABC series for trying something different.

Yes, crowd love the Muppets singing "Mahna Mahna" and "Rainbow Connection," it's an easy sell. They gotta try new things, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why they ever decided to go the route they went with the show is baffling.
Not really, this is how modern entertainment works. ABC wanted the show to have mainstream appeal, so they brought in writers from other mainstream sitcoms to try and apply formulas their other sitcoms to the show so it will fit in with the zeitgeist of today's modern television landscape, which isn't what the Muppets are about at all.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Not really, this is how modern entertainment works. ABC wanted the show to have mainstream appeal, so they brought in writers from other mainstream sitcoms to try and apply formulas their other sitcoms to the show so it will fit in with the zeitgeist of today's modern television landscape, which isn't what the Muppets are about at all.
Which makes it baffling.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Oh yes. Because the Muppets never go after the zeitgeist. That's why their first national TV show wasn't based on a popular format of the time or featured popular celebrities of the time or popular songs of the time.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Facebook friend was livestreaming the show - until they got to that Pigs in Space sketch where they literally said "no streaming!"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
And that my dear friends is something Disney and the Muppets have been having issues with since the very beginning. Copyright infringement and paying for royalties and such.