Your Thoughts: Muppet Central's 19th Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy birthday! Muppet Central is now 19 years old. The site debuted 19 years ago on January 28, 1998.

Back when the site first started The Jim Henson Company still owned all of their original properties including the Muppets and Sesame Street. Two new feature films were in development simultaneously, Muppets From Space and Elmo in Grouchland. The Children's Television Workshop was gearing up for their upcoming 30th anniversary and The Jim Henson Company was developing an ambitious sci-fi series that would eventually become Farscape. Even though many changes have occurred throughout the EM.TV and Disney years, we’ve been honored to be a small part of it and to provide a place for fan discussion and interaction.

We want to thank all of the staff, past and present who have given so much of their time and giftings to make Muppet Central a great place. Every member here is a vital part of what makes Muppet Central special. Thanks for doing your part in keeping Jim Henson’s vision of the Muppets alive. We believe great days are ahead.

While we’re celebrating 19 years, we are also looking towards the future. Answer the below questions and let us know your predictions for 2017:

(1) What do you think the future holds for the Muppets especially with the Electric Mayhem's rise in 2016 and the cancellation of the Muppets ABC series? On February 17, it will have been 13 years since Disney bought the Muppet characters so they aren't the new property anymore, especially with money makers like Star Wars and Marvel now in the family.

(2) What would you like to see Sesame Street produce or release in 2017? What do you think of the HBO deal so far? Sesame Street continues to rebound with the departures of beloved veterans. The good news of the HBO deal is that we are guaranteed a 50th season which might not have happened if the show stayed solely on PBS.

(3) What are your hopes for new productions from The Jim Henson Company in 2017? With a new Labyrinth project in the works, the debut of Splash and Bubbles on PBS and the return of Fraggle Rock in HD, the Henson Company appears poised for a breakthrough in the years to come. Will it happen? We're still waiting for the Fraggle Rock movie that's been in development for years.

(4) What's one area that you'd like to see Muppet Central focus on or debut in the year to come? Let us know what you'd like to see from us in 2017.

Happy birthday everyone!

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Happy birthday! Man, nineteen years is a long time to be around on the internet, especially in this day and age where people slowly start to disappear and lack of interest causes a site to close down. Glad it hasn't happened here yet! :smile:

(As to the questions... I honestly have no idea, I'd have to re-watch some stuff first. :stick_out_tongue: )

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy birthday to this wonderful forum and website, it's where I first really got involved as a forum member, learning the do's and dont's of interacting with such a crowd of fans as well as forming friendships with most of the gang that came in as new members back in 2002.

As for the questions...

1 I'd love and hope a third feature film gets produced to complete the trifecta. We're going to get two new Star Wars movies to complete the three trilogies what with Episode VIII: The Last Jedi :smile:rolleyes:smile: and Episode IX, why can't we get the same treatment for the Muppets?

Original Jim Trilogy: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Intermediary Transition Trilogy: The Muppet Christmas Carroll, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets From Space.

Modern Disney/Muppet Studios Trilogy: The Muppets (2011), Muppets Most Wanted, and hopefully a ninth cinematic release.

2 As for Sesame Street... I'd have to say a DVD release for Old School Volume 4 with the premieres of Seasons 16-20, that'd get us to the Sesame Street Unpaved era, and maybe a special Old School DVD with the five episode arc of the Hawaii vacation, Camp Echo Rock, but mostly the wedding of Luis and Maria.

3 For other JHC productions... Not sure, but it looks like Archaea is doing good work with its ongoing StorytTeller series.

4 Something that MC could debut as a new feature in 2017 is custom user titles. I've mentioned it in the past, but it could be set up as a privilege option that members can access in their profiles if they have

a. 1000 posts,
b. 500 likes,
c. 113 trophy points, the maximum allocated based on the combination of the two previous points, and
d. 0 warning points.

Obviously, if a member's requirements change in the negative, the custom title option would be disabled and revert back to the "New/Active/Well-Known Member" title. This would also help give the warning point system actually worth at the same time.

Hope this helps. :excited: :batty: :insatiable: :jim:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Happy Birthday MC! Been a member for about a year and a half, been reading the forum for almost 10 years now, and I still love this place.

While we’re celebrating 19 years, we are also looking towards the future. Answer the below questions and let us know your predictions for 2017:

(1) What do you think the future holds for the Muppets especially with the Electric Mayhem's rise in 2016 and the cancellation of the Muppets ABC series? On February 17, it will have been 13 years since Disney bought the Muppet characters so they aren't the new property anymore, especially with money makers like Star Wars and Marvel now in the family.

(2) What would you like to see Sesame Street produce or release in 2017? What do you think of the HBO deal so far? Sesame Street continues to rebound with the departures of beloved veterans. The good news of the HBO deal is that we are guaranteed a 50th season which might not have happened if the show stayed solely on PBS.

(3) What are your hopes for new productions from The Jim Henson Company in 2017? With a new Labyrinth project in the works, the debut of Splash and Bubbles on PBS and the return of Fraggle Rock in HD, the Henson Company appears poised for a breakthrough in the years to come. Will it happen? We're still waiting for the Fraggle Rock movie that's been in development for years.

(4) What's one area that you'd like to see Muppet Central focus on or debut in the year to come? Let us know what you'd like to see from us in 2017.
Well, for the first one, i'd really love to see a special about The Electric Mayhem. Maybe their origins, that'd be cool. It would be fantastic to finally see the band in the limelight, and hopefully they'll do more concerts this year as well.

(2) Well, besides new episodes, I don't really have any preference. I just really hope we get a great anniversary special in 2019 (along with that rumored movie).

(3)Hmm, not really sure what to say about the JHC. I'd certainly love for them to make a comeback and finally come through with some major projects, but I don't see that happening any time soon. But you never know!

(4) Can't think of anything in particular that needs changing.

Modern Disney/Muppet Studios Trilogy: The Muppets (2011), Muppets Most Wanted, and hopefully a ninth cinematic release.
Luckily, despite it's past failures, the Muppets are still loved by many people, for some reason I get the feeling we may see another Muppet movie sometime around the year 2020, seems like a good time.

2 As for Sesame Street... I'd have to say a DVD release for Old School Volume 4 with the premieres of Seasons 16-20, that'd get us to the Sesame Street Unpaved era, and maybe a special Old School DVD with the five episode arc of the Hawaii vacation, Camp Echo Rock, but mostly the wedding of Luis and Maria.
I'd love for them to finally release the 16th season premiere, since it's the only season premiere that hasn't been released in recent years. Other than that, there are hundreds of episodes still waiting to be re-released, hopefully we see some more rare ones soon.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Another useful update for the forums would be if all the known spambots could be purged from the system. If you check the "Today's Birthdays" section there's about a full score of them listed.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Muppet Central!!!

I am so glad I found this place. I would have never have gotten to meet so many Muppet fans just by going to functions. (which I never do see anyone I know from the forums but also I'm not angry I'll sooner or later meet some one from here) but I'm am so glad. It made me feel cool and wanted.

Also another thing would have been that I like it here so much is that I would have never so many people who do trades. I would have never thought in my whole life I would ever get to see Classic Sesame Street Shows, Appearances and clips from just about anything.

So Thanks to You Muppet Central for helping with my Collection but to really thank Phil for coming up with this web site for so many Muppet Fans from just any where in the world. Thank You Very Much Phil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.