Your Thoughts: Muppet Central Forum Upgrade March 24

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I have been on a certain forum that used first names and the result was certainly not more polite and was, in fact, more creepy. It imposed a sort of false friendliness that was belied by the behavior of those in charge and was used, I felt, to foster the ability to manipulate and subtly control people.

People here at MC reveal themselves through their words and actions--that should be sufficient. My screen name and what I say here are as important to me as my birth name, and I am as protective of my reputation here as I would be if my birth name were being used. I don't think it's appropriate to demand someone's parent-given name unless they want to share it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Listing a first name doesn't compromise privacy. :smile: First names help facilitate free, honest and open discussion. People are less likely to toss barbs at others if they are required to sign each post. Hiding seems kind of creepy. :scary: Actually very creepy to me. :embarrassed:

None of us pay for membership so changes are up to the webmaster, not us. It is an unlikely change, but it has really improved the quality of other forums.

I think a "Real First Names" club for MC would be good idea.
I don't agree. As much as I like you guys, I'm not giving out all my info, there are some WEIRDOS out there. :attitude:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. As much as I like you guys, I'm not giving out all my info, there are some WEIRDOS out there. :attitude:
Hahaha! Yeah, there are a lot of weirdos out there. I guess it doesn't make sense to me because people give their first names out to people they don't know every day without any level of paranoia.

Nonetheless, this policy has been discussed before and is unlikely to change. However, I'm thinking of changing my account after 12 or so years here. Weighing my options.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I think the whole name thing is optional, but yes, I don't think info is a neccesary thing, because Gonzo's not the only wierdo out there...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well I've decided to change my account. Frogboy will be archived and I'll open up a different, more accurately named account and introduce it in the new members thread immediately after the moderators green-light the idea. I've been here since 2000 so I've probably earned the change. :smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well I've decided to change my account. Frogboy will be archived and I'll open up a different, more accurately named account and introduce it in the new members thread immediately after the moderators green-light the idea. I've been here since 2000 so I've probably earned the change. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Maybe this is just me, but I noticed that the site has been kinda laggy after the upgrade. Like the home page takes a lot longer to load