Your Thoughts: "Jim Henson: The Biography" by Brian Jay Jones

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
I picked up a copy yesterday so hoping to start reading this weekend! Always used to watch Jim whenever he was interviewed on TV when I was a kid and have watched lots of behind the scenes documentaries over the years but still feel I know very little about him as a person so it will be great to get to know him better.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
My copy came last night; and I just finished "The Mucking Fuppets" chapter. I can't wait to get into the "Muppetmania" chapter next. The book's been very enjoyable so far. The book's really hit on how dedicated Jim was to his work, and how he never gave up on the dreams he wanted to accomplish - no matter how many times he hit roadblocks.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't gotten this book yet. I think I'll wait and ask for this for Christmas (though if I see it in the store I'll probably look through it in the store, chances are I'll look in the index, if there is an index, and read about certain productions or characters I want to know more about).

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Finished the book Saturday night. I was very impressed with it. While I knew about a lot that was talked about in the book already, it was nice to read things in more detail and with quotes from those close to Jim. This is definitely a book I will be recommending to my friends and family who may not even be huge Henson/Muppet fans. I think the casual fan will find it very interesting.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Got the book last Monday as a (day early) birthday present. It was a great read, a nice addition to my library as well. Jones' elaboration on Jim's career, especially his early start on Sam and Friends, while also doing more experimental film and animation work, really interested me. For the most part, I had been used to getting my information on Jim scattered though sites like MC, Muppet Wiki, and the like, but having a comprehensive narrative like this is just so great. I'm surprised how much focus Jones gave to Jim's personal/relationship life, but not in a bad way. Again, learning new things is always a treat when it comes to people I am interested in. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn a bit more about the creative mind of Mr. Jim Henson.

Shawn

Reaction score
I cannot wait to read this book! I will love to read more about this remarkable man's life. I have always put Jim on this huge pedestal, but also realize he was a human being with flaws and mistakes in judgement just like everyone else. I'm sure I will see him in a new light after reading this. Not a particularly bad light, but not the saint I always make him out to be. So glad a book like this is coming into existence. Every other Henson book I have goes into depth about his works, but don't really let you see the people that made this happen in their private lives. The closest book I have that did this was Street Gang.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I've got to admit, rather lazily I opted to listen to the audiobook. Whilst I own the book also, due to work commitments, I have very little in the way of spare time. My thoughts? Please forgive the excessive dramatics but I feel like I've lost Jim Henson all over again. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing piece of literature and I have loved every single second. It's just that there was soooo much I didn't know that, by the time the end came, I felt like I had gotten to know Jim inside and out and, as what happened back in 1990, I wasn't ready to have him taken away again. His warmth, generosity and humanity all come through in this book and it truly shows what an exceptional human being he was and humble to a fault. There is an abundance of truly incredible anecdotes that every Muppet fan must hear. I just feel so moved by the whole book and have spent the last day or so in a state of shock, almost like Jim's passing happened in the last week. I would whole heartedly recommend this book to anyone, regardless of their status as a Muppet fan, purely for the insight of one of the twentieth centuries true greats. It really was a reminder of just how much this one individual made my life a little better for him being here!

MANY Thanks Mr Jay-Jones!!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I found a copy at Books-A-Million yesterday and glanced in it a little. I mainly looked in the index, looking for a few particular productions, and it looks like most of the ones I was hoping would be talked about don't appear in the book (according to the index).

Glancing in there, it was interesting reading the part about licensing the Sesame Street characters, with Joan Ganz Cooney initially saying no to Jim's request to be in control of the Sesame Street merchandise. And I read a little of the part about The Jim Henson Hour where it said that Jim was undecided on the shows format even when he made his pitch for the show.

I plan to hold off on getting this until Christmas. I can still look at bits of it in the store (though I can't just be in the store for several hours reading it), and maybe my local library has a copy, but it's going to be a long wait until Christmas.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I didn't know what to expect when I picked up the book, but I gotta say-it was definitely worth the week-long search to track the book down. Finding a copy of it in Australia is like finding a stick after its been burned to ashes.

The first thing I loved about it was the input from Jim's friends and collogues. I learned about things I never knew, but when I read it, it seemed quite obvious of Jim to do so. The whole scenario with Richard Hunt bad mouthing a guest-star and David Lazer tearing through him was my favourite anecdote. Jim really was a loving person of both people and nature. Don't even get me started on the women!

I felt like I was really getting to know this guy and it was almost like he sitting by my side as I read. Even when I put the book down (a tremendous effort was needed to do so), I could've sworn that Jim's presence was following me around the house. As the ending of the book came closer, I started to dread it and sure enough I burst into tears. Jim had disappeared right in front of my eyes.

It really did feel like I was intruding on something special and I was honoured to be apart of this secret little world that existed between the words. The praise for Jim was deserving and yet his flaws were still shown in earnest. His faults just seemed to emphasise his brilliance even more because Jim never let them slow him down.

Congratulations to Brian Jay Jones for a spectacularly written and portioned book. Brilliant-Simply Brilliant.

Muppetto

Reaction score
I'm really excited to read the bio! My sister works at this library in New York City and asked me to help put the word out for this upcoming book signing with Brian Jay Jones in a few weeks. I would love to be there, but live several states away, so if you live in or near the city, please be sure to attend this event!

https://www.nysoclib.org/events/brian-jay-jones-jim-henson-biography

Sadly, I just learned that this event has been cancelled since Brian Jay Jones will be making an appearance on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart", which typically films in the late afternoon/early evening of the day each episode airs. I guess there wasn't a big enough response and an opportunity to be on a popular TV news program was a better opportunity to get the word out about the biography.