Your Thoughts: It's Hard Out Here for a Shrimp

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was in Barnes and Noble tonight. I couldn't find Pepe's book. I didn't bother asking cuz I think I'm getting it for Christmas so I wouldn't be buying it. Just curious, what section would the book be in? I dig that Kermit's is in the Self Improvement section!
I'm not sure about Barns but as for books a million it was in the Humor section.

Wiseman

Reaction score
Got it read it liked it

I got it, read it and liked it. I especially liked the political chapter wher he tells what he would do as president. He has my vote.

Davina

Reaction score
hehe
yes, i did get it read too, was wonderfully fun. just the break i needed with everything else going on.. come to think of it.. Piggy's book will be out at a good time for that too... hrm.. :smile:
hope he keeps these up!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I know i can't wait for for the Pig's book myself. This is just a great time to be a Muppet fan.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
(don't hurt me)

First off I do have to admit this is a well written book...

Pepe's probably my second favorite Muppet behind Gonzo so I have been looking forward to this book. It hasn't been on store shelves so I finally just ordered it off Amazon. Well, I got it and have to admit that - I just don't get it.

I find Jim Lewis to be a phenomenal talent for the Muppets and he is here too, yet there's little context for his writings in this book. The Muppets have a symbiotic relationship with the writers. The performers need the writer's words and the writers need the Muppet's delivery of them. There aren't even photographs inside the book and that's where it doesn't work well for me. Half the personality and attitude of Pepe is missing.

The writing is definitely good, but the book is mostly comprised of one-liners framed in an unattractive page layout. InDesign has made book composition so easy these days that I don't understand the middling visuals here. The Pepe drawings are mediocre tracing of existing style sheets. The Muppets used to have such great illustrators. I suppose that was before the world of Photoshoppers relaxed artistic requirements. I feel the art director and publisher failed both Jim Lewis and Pepe in this book. It isn't bad in the least, it just should be much better.

I think this would have worked better as some sort of Fozzie Bear joke book, but the art still would need to be better. I hope the pig’s book will have some pictures – hopefully a few new ones too.

I am glad to have this book and will be much happier when I see his words spoken by our felt, fleece and feathered friends - the Muppets. :smile: