Your Thoughts: "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story"

beaker

Reaction score
Only a few posts? To me this is one of the biggest Muppet events of the year, next to The Muppets returning to tv. Just saw the film with my family on Amazon stream for $7, and man...what a remarkable achievement. I'm a massive fan of documentaries, particularly human interest related docs. But this was truly something special.

I think a lot of fans here might be surprised how 'real' this thing is. They definitely pull no punches, yet often Sesame documentaries do not shy away from very uncomfortable or disturbing material. (The World According To Sesame Street contained a number of graphic scenes of modern conflicts) I had no idea that Carroll Spinney and his Big Bird character was suppose to be on the ill fated Space Shuttle Challenger...that the size of big bird's suit saved his life. I found myself tearing up throughout, as it's quite an emotional roller coaster. I maybe would have rated it PG-13, but Im glad they didnt hold back on exploring things warts and all, including behind the scenes politics. It was so amazing to get to see Jerry Nelson and Frank Oz in new appearances(Im assuming this was Nelson's last known interview?) I was actually surprised Oz was in it as I know he's shied away from these type of things before. I felt emotionally exhausted by the end of it, but that's often what the best sort of documentaries do. It was amazing meeting Spinney and his wife(and Oscar!) in 2003 at a book signing, and now the whole world can see how genuinely kind they are. I also really identified with how Spinney was kind of the odd one out even when he was the main star on Sesame Street. And the footage, my goodness the footage. I was floored by the insane amount of archival footage. I can see why this project took years to make. Endless never before or rare archival footage of Big Bird...it's almost a side story within the film of the character Big Bird's kind of lonely existential journey in life. Scenes of him wandering by himself in a countryside or China evokes a stirring feeling, really powerful.
I'm not the best at reviewing things, other that I felt I Am Big Bird(especially for Muppet fans) transcends a mere docu-drama and becomes an roller coaster experience all its own. And without spoiling anything, that ending...powerful!

My only complaint is I wish it had mentioned the passing of Nelson/Hunt/Joe/Love/etc and had more Muppet performer interviews, but otherwise fantastic. And those animated segments were perfect. Ok one more thing: I have a theory the Muppets keep ya young, as I was surprised how good so many of the principle people involved at the beginning of Sesame looked.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Only a few posts? To me this is one of the biggest Muppet events of the year, next to The Muppets returning to tv.
I know right! There should be hundreds of posts by now!
And the footage, my goodness the footage. I was floored by the insane amount of archival footage. I can see why this project took years to make. Endless never before or rare archival footage of Big Bird.
I was one of the Kickstarters, so in July I'll be getting a two disc Blu-Ray, signed by Caroll Spinney! The second disc should have lots more archival footage. I'm really looking forward to it.
So, pretty much get ready to cry when you read this story Carroll posted from his personal Reddit account.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._caroll_spinney_the_puppeteer_who_has/cr1iv2a
Oh may, that's so sad, but somehow lovely at the same time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When this is only being shown through a limited number of outlets, I doubt that hundreds of posts would be in this thread.

beaker

Reaction score
For some reason it's only $7 in HD on Amazon(you do need a credit card) and you can watch it up to a month. Im not sure why its $13 on itunes.
But Im pretty sure most people on here could spare $7 for such an amazing film? Plus the way the Amazon pricing works, a lot of it goes to the filmmakers.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, but internet transactions are sketchy, it's always a big risk purchasing something over the internet. Yeah, I know there's a lot of secure sites out there, and internet shopping is "the future" (the ghosttown-esque malls and other countless business shutting down physical locations can be a testament to that), but there's still the lingering possibility of identity and credit theft should your account be compromised and your information fall into the wrong hands.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
For some reason it's only $7 in HD on Amazon(you do need a credit card) and you can watch it up to a month. Im not sure why its $13 on itunes.
But Im pretty sure most people on here could spare $7 for such an amazing film? Plus the way the Amazon pricing works, a lot of it goes to the filmmakers.
I'm assuming that since the Amazon version only lasts for so long, it's cheaper than the iTunes version, which you'll always have.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can catch a screening this weekend. I owe a lot to Big Bird! :wisdom:

ThePuppeteer

Reaction score
Does anybody know when the Netflix release will take place? Can't exactly buy it at the moment :/