Your Thoughts: Fraggle Rock The Animated Series DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now Available on DVD: Fraggle Rock The Animated Series!

Lionsgate says that... "Fraggle Rock: The Complete Animated Series is on DVD for the first time! This 2 disc set includes all 13 episodes from the animated series, plus all-new never before released special features fans and collectors will love."

Since most of us will be getting this long-awaited Fraggle release, we'd like to mention that if you order Fraggle Rock: The Animated Series that a small portion of your order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on these DVDs with a low-price guarantee. Meaning, you can pre-order now and save off the regular price (and if Amazon lowers the price even more you're guaranteed the lowest price by pre-ordering). We appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through the site.

After you get your copy of the DVD set, post here and share your thoughts.

zns

Reaction score
Definately going up to Barnes & Noble after class to see if it is in today or not. Thank goodness for gift cards. :excited:

Voiceroy

Reaction score
Hadn't kept up w/ DVD release news in the past few months due to a lack of fundage, but I saw the placeholder for this at Target last week and planned to add it to my Netflix queue.

I'm hoping some kind soul here who buys this today could please share what exactly is included in those "never before released special features" which we "fans and collectors" are told we'll "love."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm hoping some kind soul here who buys this today could please share what exactly is included in those "never before released special features" which we "fans and collectors" are told we'll "love."
to quote Muppet Wikia:

The set will include the show's 13 episodes, and additional extras, including "Fraggle Rock Character Galleries" and "Original Opening Storyboard Sequence" [1], plus a featurette with co-producer Michael Frith.[2]
Seems pretty good to me.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Bonus Features Rundown

There are several great bonus feratures on this set.

There is a short 8-minute behind-the-scenes featurette with co-producer, technical designer and Fraggle Rock co-creator Michael Frith. Frith talks about translating the world of Fraggle Rock into a new format. The piece also features a few early conceptual sketches and drawings interspersed thoughout Frith's interview.

The set features the original storyboard reel for the opening theme song. The storyboard sketches are quite detailed and remarkable faithful to what is seen in the finished opening sequence.

Finally there is a collection of character galleries, which include detailed notes about Gobo, Mokey, Boober, Wembley, Red, Traveling Matt, and the Gorgs. These short bios are taken from the show's "Writer's Bible", which was created by the original Fraggle team and given to the writers of the animated series.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I wouldn't even have cared that much if there were extras or not really- but the line-up here certainly sounds pretty good. I'm excited to get this DVD when I can. And then I can really count my Fraggle Rock collection complete (as far as TV shows go... maybe one day there really will be a movie to add to that...):excited::smirk::coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
To me, Bonus features say "HEY! We actually care about putting this on DVD!" instead of "It's on a DVD already! Stop hounding us!" And frankly, it's more likely to see future volumes (or even a completed series) if they take that time and care with it. Again, I'm glad Disney actually bothered releasing their cartoons on incomplete sets, but how hard would it have been to get Jim Cummings to take a break from his Pooh recording sessions to talk about Darkwing Duck for 2 minutes?

zns

Reaction score
Despite the fact that everything seemed rushed when this version of Fraggle Rock was made in 1987, everything about this show seems pretty unique in its own way. Most fans, including myself of course, will definately prefer the live-action version of the show. But overall, the one true thing that both versions have in common is that they both convey the same messages about global outreach and relating to those are different from us. It is truly a fine DVD set for those of us faithful to Jim's legacy and the Muppets. :smirk::excited::coy:

beaker

Reaction score
Just got it for $15 at Best Buy. Sadly I have to report there's no real bonus features cept' the new Frith interview(which is rather short) but who would have ever thought something so obscure would have a full proper dvd release?

The transfer is not very good, but its just amazing to have all the episodes; as FR animated was my only real exposure to FR in the 80's.