Your Thoughts: Emmet Otter Musical

juskris54

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a CD of the musical out yet. I heard one song on sirius radio and wanted to hear more.:smile:

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
Emmett Otter second season

Hey all,

Just checking in. Last Wednesday I went to the second season of the Emmett Otter musical at the Goodspeed Operahouse in East Haddam, CT.

A few changes: first off the play is now simply "Jim Henson's Emmett Otter". This was explained to us later as the Goodspeed now retaining rights to the show rather than Henson Associates.

The show was pretty much the same EXCEPT Jan is now a bookend character rather than being dropped into the story. The actress who played Jane looked like she was 12 or so and was actually more believable as someone of the age she portrays. The story of is now much more cut from the mold of the special we all know and love.

The Goodspeed apparently invested in some lifting mechanisms for the front of the stage. This allowe the puppety work to be done higher, allowing row further back to enjoy it as well. Last year I was in the back, this year i was in row 5... and got squirted in the eye by Catfish of the Nightmare Band! (My night was complete!)

ONLY downside of the whole show was that the place was not sold out. I am hoping it was due to the mid-week show and a rather crappy morning weather-wise across the Northeast. It is something that the show couldn't control obviously.

Once again 2 MAJOR thumbs up and this show only got better!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Good to hear you enjoyed the show, Matt. That's interesting that Henson sold the rights, I wonder why? Though I didn't get to see the show in person, I've heard the show audio in its entirety and it seems like it would be a good time.

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
Steve,

As you noted on your show, the people from the Operahouse were a bit off in their description of why the name change occurred.

In all actuality, the name was shortened to allow for the show to have longer runs without "Christmas" in the title.