Your Thoughts: Emmet Otter DVD

Bill Cairns

Reaction score
Differences between original broadcast & VHS/DVD

Hi Everyone---I don't know if anyone still checks this thread, but I wanted to post quickly about differences between the original cable-TV broadcast of Emmet Otter & the subsequent VHS/DVD releases. I have a VHS of Emmet that I taped off HBO probably back in 1985 or so, and I'm sorry if this has ben discussed already, but there are alot more differences then just the editing out of Kermit.
I havent checked in a while, but I know that "Aint No Whole in the Washtub" on DVD contains a whole different verse, and the part near the beginning in the original after Emmet & his Mom stop off at the dock, Emmet's mom wishes Mrs. Fox would "fall off the dock" and Emmet laughs, has been edited out of the DVD also. I know that the "passing the hat to a fish" segment was definitely in the original broadcast. I also recall the ending being very edited, noy withstanding Kermits disappearance.
If theres any interest I can compare the original to the DVD this weekend to be more detailed.
THANKS!
Bill in Levittown NY

Bill Cairns

Reaction score
Hi Phillip, thanks for replying to my first Muppet Forum post! Sorry I posted about edits that had already been written about---I guess I should've thouroghly checked the site before posting, I do apologize~~
I'm glad to see that people have catalogued the differences between the broadcast version and the edited versions. I have a version of Emmet Otter on DVD that I purchased semi-recently, but I don't believe I have the "special edition" version, I'll have to pick it up.
One thing I'd like to mention, in the review that you linked of the Special Edition Emmet Otter DVD, its stated that ABC first aired Emmet in 1980, and then HBO did afterwards. I'm almost *positive* its the other way around. I remember watching Emmet Otter for at least 2 years on HBO before it aired on ABC. I was 10 years old in 1980, and I remember thinking it was a big deal it would be on "free" TV and wondering where they would put commercials in.
I've been "lurking" without posting for a few months now, and I have to say this is a tremendously fun website! I look forward to posting more in the future :smile:
Bill

superboober

Reaction score
With all this discussion on which network had it first, I'd like to go the other way and ask:

-what was the last year HBO ran it?, and
-who if anyone holds the current broadcast rights?

anathema

Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this for ages now...

This is the complete and (hopefully) definitive list of differences between the original 1977 edit ("Edit1") and the later re-edit of the show ("Edit2").

After the opening titles:
Edit1:
Underscored
Kermit (v/o): "Our story begins on a chilly day in late autumn. Emmet Otter and his ma were headed up the river, rowing and singing."
(song starts)

Edit2:
Just the underscore

After "Bathing Suit":
Edit1:
Emmet: "Say Ma, that sounded pretty nice!"
Ma: "Nice? I should say it did, Emmet. Why, you can hear the fish applaudin'!"
Emmet: "Oh...I think you're right! Maybe I should pass the hat!"
Ma: "Pa used to say, 'If you pass the hat to fish, all you get is a wet hat!'"
(both laugh)
Ma: "Still...I suppose the fish have just about as much money as any of us this year..."
Emmet: "Couldn't have much less. Ma?"
Ma: "Mmm?"
Emmet: "What are we gonna do about Christmas this year?"
Ma: "Ohh...better lean into that starboard oar - there's old Gretchen Fox on her dock waitin' for her laundry. Ooh, she looks friendly as a pole-cat today!"
Gretchen: "Well, it's about time you got here!"
Ma: "Same time we always get here."
Gretchen: "Yes. You're late every week. And last week when I opened the laundry parcel, there was a scorch-mark on one of the sheets!"
Ma: "Ohh, well, maybe I can knock off a little bit on the price...I, er...?"
Gretchen: "You certainly shall. Remind me of that when I pay you - next week. Ta."
Ma: "Well, I got the bill right he...here - and since it's three days 'til Christmas I'd really appreciate it if...you'd...fall off the dock."
(Emmet laughs)
Emmet: "Way to go, Ma!"
(Ma laughs)
Ma: "Yeah, well sometimes you gotta talk tough to these people."
Will: "Yup, that's tellin' her, Alice!"
Ma: "Mornin', Will Possum!"
Emmet: "Mornin'!"
Ma: "I didn't see you sitting there!"

Edit2:
Emmet: "Say Ma, that sounded pretty nice!"
Ma: "Better lean into that starboard oar - there's old Gretchen Fox on her dock waitin' for her laundry. Ooh, she looks friendly as a pole-cat today!"
Gretchen: "Well, it's about time you got here!"
Ma: "Same time we always get here."
Gretchen: "Yes. You're late every week. And last week when I opened the laundry parcel, there was a scorch-mark on one of the sheets!"
Ma: "Ohh, well, maybe I can knock off a little bit on the price...I, er...?"
Gretchen: "You certainly shall. Remind me of that when I pay you - next week."
Ma: "Well, I got the bill right he...here - and since it's three days 'til Christmas I'd really appreciate it if..."
Gretchen: "Ta."
Will: "Yup, that's tellin' her, Alice!"
Ma: "Mornin', Will Possum!"
Emmet: "Mornin'!"
Ma: "I didn't see you sitting there!"

In Waterville:
Edit1:
Emmet: "Well, Pa *should* have gotten rich on snake-oil. But there just aren't enough..."
Emmet & Ma: "...people who want to oil a snake!"
(both laugh)
Emmet: "Wait, now! Would ya look at that!"
Ma: "What?"
Emmet: "That swell guitar!"

Edit2:
Emmet: "Well, Pa *should* have gotten rich on snake-oil. But there just aren't enough..."
Emmet & Ma: "...people who want to oil a snake!"
(both laugh)
Emmet: "Oh, Pa used to always say that when business was bad..."
Ma: "Yup...he said it a lot!"
Emmet: "Wait, now! Would ya look at that!"
Ma: "What?"
Emmet: "That swell guitar!"

On the way home:
Edit1:
Emmet: "Well, at least there ain't no hole in the washtub!"
Ma: "Oooh! There ain't no hole in the washtub! That's what you call your basic keepin'-warm-while-you're-rowin'-home kinda song."
Emmet: "I'm rowin'. Where's the singin'?"
(song starts)

NB: Ma's line is *very* out of sync with the puppet's mouth movements - so much so that it's possible that a) this is why it was cut from Edit2; and b) it may in fact have been a different line of dialog to that performed on-set

Edit2:
Emmet: "Well, at least there ain't no hole in the washtub!"
(song starts)

"Ain't No Hole in the Washtub":
Edit1:
Ma: "...I'll be there to treat you to a soothing back-rub!"
Emmet: "When there ain't no hole in the washtub!"
(instrumental)
Wendel: "Hey, Emmet!"

Edit2:
Ma: "...I'll be there to treat you to a soothing back-rub!"
Emmet: "When there ain't no hole in the washtub!"
(instrumental)
Ma: "Lunch with the upper-crust, Dinner at the club, High on the hog when there...
Emmet & Ma: "...ain't no hole in the washtub!"
Emmet: "Watermelon gardens, Berries on a shrub, Cookies in the kitchen..."
Emmet & Ma: "...when there ain't no hole in the washtub!"
(instrumental)
Wendel: "Hey, Emmet!"

Start of the second day:
Edit1:
(underscore)
Kermit (v/o): "One morning, Frogtown Hollow woke to discover winter had arrived, with ice on the river and snow in the fields. Emmet did his chores, not knowing that it would be a very special day."

Edit2:
(underscore)

Deciding to enter the contest:
Edit1:
Emmet: "We *would* make a good jug-band...but to put a hole in Ma's washtub...!"
(Emmet returns home)
Emmet: "Ma! I'm home! I cut the Christmas Branch!"

Edit2:
Emmet: "We *would* make a good jug-band...but to put a hole in Ma's washtub...!"
Ma: "He sure would like that guitar..."
Emmet: "Nothing would make her happier than having a good old piano again..."
Ma: "I just don't know..."
Emmet: "I just can't decide..."
(Emmet returns home)
Emmet: "Ma! I'm home! I cut the Christmas Branch!"

After rehearsing "Barbecue":
Edit1:
(the Riverbottom gang ride off on their snowmobiles)
Wendel: "What was *that* all about?"
(the shot pans left and dissolves into a left-panning shot leading up to the Town Hall)
(underscore)
Kermit (v/o): "And so the evening came for the talent contest."
Harrison (v/o): "Er...contestants, contestants, I'd like you all to go to your dressing rooms now please if you would..."

Edit2:
(the Riverbottom gang ride off on their snowmobiles)
Wendel: "What was *that* all about?"
(fade out)
(underscore)
(fade in on a left-panning aerial shot of Waterville, which dissolves to the left-panning shot leading up to the Town Hall)
Harrison (v/o): "Er...contestants, contestants, I'd like you all to go to your dressing rooms now please if you would..."

After Yancy Woodchuck sings "Barbeque":
Edit1:
(cut to Will and Harrison backstage)
Will: "Better fill, Harrison, we're off to a shaky start."
(Harrison nods)
(fade out)
(fade in on the alley where the boys are rehearsing)

Edit2:
(cut to Will backstage closing the curtains as Yancy takes a bow)
Harrison (v/o): "Welcome if you will, George and Melissa Rabbit."
(the curtains open and the rabbits do their act)
Will (to himself): "Well...it's gonna be a long night..."
(cut to the alley where the boys are rehearsing)

In the Riverside Rest:
Edit1:
(the song ends and the camera pans right to Kermit)
Kermit: "And so, Ma and Emmet and the boys started to make a little regular money and a lot of really fine music. And from then on, Christmas was a little merrier on the river."
(fade out)
(fade in on Ma and the boys walking home, with soft underscore)
Ma: "I sure enjoyed our first night's work!"

Edit2:
(the song ends and the shot dissolves from Ma and the boys on-stage to Ma and the boys walking home, with the song's instrumental as underscore)
Ma: "I sure enjoyed our first night's work!"

"When The River Meets The Sea (reprise)":
Edit1:
Ma and the boys: "Though our minds be filled with questions, In our hearts we'll understand, When the river meets the sea. When the river meets the almighty sea."
(instrumental)

Edit2:
Ma and the boys: "Though our minds be filled with questions, In our hearts we'll understand, When the river meets the sea. Patience my brothers, And patience my sons; In that sweet and final hour, Truth and justice will be done. Like a baby when it is sleeping, In its loving mother's arms; What a newborn baby dreams is a mystery. But his life will find a purpose, And in time he'll understand, When the river meets the sea. When the river meets the almighty sea."
(instrumental)

End Credits:
------------
Edit2 omits the Henson Associates copyright from the credit roll, and cuts to the JHT logo as soon as the last credit leaves the screen.

Kiki

Reaction score
I know how funny are they?? :smile:
The drum thing goes on for EVER!!

"Can we do it again, Ma?"
"Shuddup, Emmet!"

LOL, it sounds so weird to hear Frank voicing Ma... :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My favorite drum moment is when Ma says, "You stupid...!" lol

stick

Reaction score
I have this video, yea VHS and i just found it unopened... so i watched it. i've had it for years and didn't even know it. is it worth anything?

PhenixInd

Reaction score
Are there any plans to release an un-butchered copy of Emmet Otter?