Your Thoughts: Dog City DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Dog City: The Movie" will arrive on DVD this Tuesday June 8. Here's our review of this anticipated DVD. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Since most of us will be getting "Dog City: The Movie", we'd like to mention that if you order the Dog City DVD from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

Once you receive your "Dog City: The Movie" DVD, post here and let us know your thoughts on this anticipated release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In early promotional material, Lionsgate planned on including two animated episodes of Dog City as bonus features. These were unfortunately not included on this DVD. We’ve heard that Dog City: The Animated Series may be released by Lionsgate in the near future if the original version sells well on DVD.
Uh... it's not that I won't get this, but I'm devastatingly disappointed. "May if" usually turns into no freaking way. I'm very disappointed that they couldn't even manage a SINGLE episode, much less 2. I'm sure there's some good reason or something... but this really seems bare and...again, disappointing.

I mean, I'm still going to get it, but really...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Has anybody else had trouble finding a copy of this today? I searched my local Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and Toys R Us, and couldn't find it at any of those places.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
We’ve heard that Dog City: The Animated Series may be released by Lionsgate in the near future if the original version sells well on DVD.

Uh... it's not that I won't get this, but I'm devastatingly disappointed. "May if" usually turns into no freaking way.
"Well, we'd have enough if we had a hit on Broadway!":mad:
(Okay- maybe it won't take that much.:wink:)
Have faith- Dog City: The Animated Series may see a release on DVD yet. (By the way, it is available to watch for 2 bucks per episode on Amazon.com, just so you know...-Though I'd still rather just pay the money all at once and get the whole thing on DVD.):concern:

ploobis

Reaction score
Got my copy today at Best Buy. There were only two copies on the self!

This is a great DVD. The movie is a Henson Classic and I love that the JHH Theme Music plays at the disc menu and during the Art Gallery and Behind The Scenes gallery. Could have included more bonus features though.

Another great thing about Dog City is that they kept Rowlf's scenes in tack! :sympathy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Got my copy today at Best Buy. There were only two copies on the self!
SO I guess either this DVD is selling out, or many places didn't order many copies, or something is delaying it from coming to my area (I don't know what else was supposed to be released today).

I downloaded it on iTunes, but I might still buy a physical copy if I can find one.

GarlicGuy

Reaction score
I checked blockbuster (dumb move, I know) and the idiot man says there was "no such thing" but I ended up finding it at Target while shopping for Rice Cakes :smile: Great movie too!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have faith- Dog City: The Animated Series may see a release on DVD yet. (By the way, it is available to watch for 2 bucks per episode on Amazon.com, just so you know...-Though I'd still rather just pay the money all at once and get the whole thing on DVD.):concern:
Me too... I hate buying single episodes online because... well, what happens if the file doesn't play properly? You're out the money, and I don't know if you can return the data for a better version. I tried downloading the free Sesame Street Podcasts before, and they didn't play right on my iTunes. In fact, they kept crashing iTunes.

I really hope they DO release the series... either in season sets or whatever. Not several episodes on a disk, though. I haven't seen the series except for the 2 episodes that were on the Big Squeak video for years. It'd be a shame if this series was lost.

But I'm still getting the movie in spite of that. You'd be mad not to get it at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I downloaded this off iTunes, and I must say I am surprised that the Jim Henson Hour closing theme music appears during the theme credits. With the exception of Living with Dinosaurs I've seen every JHH special outside of JHH and when shown as their own specials all the others have different closing music (The Secrets of the Muppets is the only exception, but that's the only one shown outside the series to contian the regular Jim Henson Hour closing, though would it count as being shown outside the series since the opening and Jim's intro/outro are shown...?). I would have expected typical gangste rmovie music, or maybe an instrumental version of the "Dog City" song.

Interestingly, two years ago every episode of The Jim Henson Hour was uploaded on Youtube, but sometime afterwards Dog City and Song of the Cloud Forrest were removed. The person who uploaded them said on his channel page that it was taken down by Henson, but I suspect it was actually HIT (too bad this note isn't mentioned in the description for the "health and fitness" episode... people watching it on youtube who don't check the users page might wonder why they can't find Song of the Cloud Forrest there). Anyway, back when it was uploaded, I watched all of the MuppeTelevision portion, but not much of the actual special. I think I just watched the first few minutes of the special, and then went to the last part and skipped to Jim Henson's outro and the show's closing. So I saw all the stuff that couldn't be on this DVD but not much of this special until now.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I thought it was fun, I mean it's not the best Henson thing I've seen but it's not the worst either. It was great hearing the Jim Henson Hour theme music play on the dvd, shame we didn't get any bits with Jim. I also loved how much Rowlf was in the movie, I forgot how much air time he got.