Your Thoughts: "Being Elmo" Kevin Clash documentary on DVD and PBS

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It's being shown tonight at 9:00 to 10:30. I guess that means there are no commercial breaks (which is a good thing!).
I'll post my thoughts tonight or tommorow morning. :fanatic:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well I finally got it today. And it is a good documentary. I was a little surprised by all the images from The Muppet Show, which Clash did NOT perform on, as well as all the Sesame Street clips from before he joined. I expected Richard Hunt's Elmo, and maybe a few clips from when the show began, but was still a little surprised.

It's cool that the Ferlinghetti Donnizetti clip chosen is the one from the out-of-print "Getting Ready to Read". When Clash started talking about that character, I was expecting the "Rapping Alphabet" clip, and hoping for some Ferlignhetti clip I hadn't seen before.

It's a shame that when Clash talks about working on The Muppets at Walt Disney World they never show any clips or behind-the-scenes footage from that special. Maybe Disney didn't want to loan footage or charged too much, but they did manage to obtain footage from one of the Muppet Meeting Films (the only Disney-owned footage that appears in the documentary).

Interesting how on the packaging and main menu it mentions that Elmo is a trademark of Sesame Workshop, but doesn't mention the same about Sesame Street and its characters (and should I be surprised it doesn't give a trademark credit for the Muppets?). And I didn't notice this kind of trademark credit in the credits.

So in both this and the autobiography, Clifford gets the same amount of coverage, both for his appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show. Too bad neither acknowledges Clifford as a character on The Jim Henson Hour or Muppets Tonight (or The Muppets at Walt Disney World).

Although there's no talk about Dinosaurs, it is great that the talking Baby Sinclair doll appears in the background when Kevin's mom talks. And during the Muppet Workshop scenes near the end, it's cool that some of the puppets from The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss can be seen in the background (I would have thought they'd keep the Sesame Street puppets seperate from other Henson puppets while filming the documentary).

The only things I would have really changed about the documentary would be some clips of Leon from The Jim Henson Hour and a section on Dinosaurs, and the only change I'd make to the DVD would be the inclusion of some bonus Sesame Street clips. Otherwise, it's great, and I can't wait until the Caroll Spinney documentary (but I was already excited about that one).

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
I liked the many photos of Jim and the rare clip of Wogan interviewing Kermit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I saw the footage of Kevin visiting Kermit Love at his workshop, my first thought was "did Kevin bring a home movie camera on his trip?" But then I saw the "thoughts from the producers" feature where the footage was talked about. Interesting story on how they obtained it.

I wish they would have obtained footage from the 1979 Macy's parade. I wonder if that footage still exists. It was great seeing the photo, but then while talking about Kevin's performance as Cookie Monster they showed footage that's obviously from a more recent parade.

The stuff with Kevin mentoring that kid was better than I'd expected. After seeing him name the various people in that photo (even Caroly Wilcox!), I'd like to see him contribute to a Muppet Mindset article. The bonus feature footage is also interesting. So he was talking as Baby Bear in the float? Can't quite tell if that was just before the parade started or if he could talk throughout the parade. I would have thought the performers would have to be quiet during the parade (only vocal through the musical performance, which I assume is pre-recorded). Though it reminds me of when I read in Kevin's autobiography that he lost his voice after performing Cookie Monster in the float. I wondered why he would have talked so much while being an extra performer.

During the audition footage for Captain Kangaroo, it seems both characters shown DIDN'T sound like any Kevin Clash character I knew at first, though after a few words of dialogue they sounded like other characters. At first the first character sounded a bit like Oscar to me, and the next one initially sounded like a Jim Henson character to me (that second one also kinda looks like the hand puppet of Junior Gorg that's been for sale the last few years).

Yorick

Reaction score
I love the movie. Mr. Clash is super! I agree about the audition footage for Captain Kangaroo; there were a few moments where Kevin sounded very much like Jim! Very nice to see and hear Richard Hunt's Elmo, as well! So much more to talk about regarding the movie, but these are my thoughts for now!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I know that Kevin has done a lot more then just Elmo but the movie is just not about that. It's about him and Elmo as a team. I want to be on Team Elmo!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Had the chance to watch it last night.

It's a great documentary, I never realized how talented Kevin is! I always find it hard to believe that he's the guy performing Clifford. He's really good!

I had no idea how they had footage from Kevin in Kermit's workshop though, did he bring a camera? I liked hearing Richard Hunt's Elmo, I never heard it before, it's kinda weird how it sounded. I cried by some scenes but I can't really remember when. I think it was by the part with the kid who's dying wish was to meet Elmo. I just know I cried about something!
Was Whoopi Goldberg narrating the whole thing? I only started noticing it near the end of the film.

Was glad to see and hear Carol Spinney and Frank Oz. But they're only in the movie for about 10 seconds max. And I can't even remember what Frank said!

This movie is so inspiring. I just have to watch it again. Maybe I'll watch it on Wednesday at 2:30 on PBS. Whenever I have the chance!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had no idea how they had footage from Kevin in Kermit's workshop though, did he bring a camera? I liked hearing Richard Hunt's Elmo, I never heard it before, it's kinda weird how it sounded. I cried by some scenes but I can't really remember when. I think it was by the part with the kid who's dying wish was to meet Elmo. I just know I cried about something!
I was confused by that as well, but in the "thoughts from the filmmakers", one of them mentions that at all Q&As for the films people asked about that. She says it was for a syndicated show (she doesn't say the name of the show) which was having some focus on Kermit Love and the people who made that show asked if Kermit knew of any aspiring puppeteers they could feature, and he thought to invite Kevin for the show. That feature also explains the trouble they went through to get the footage.