Your Muppet mistakes

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
I don't really have any muppet mistakes, unfortunately. I watched sesame street but I was too little at the time to remember much, and I wasn't really exposed to muppets until a few years ago.

However, a while back, before I really got into the muppets, I watched a youtube video comparing muppet voices, and one of the videos showed how Gonzo's voice changed over the years despite being played by the same guy and I thought "Wow, this guy must be a jerk, cuz he thinks he can get away with changing the character's voice just because he's always played him." I have no idea why I thought that. I'm not even sure how old I was when I first saw the video, lol.

Also, does it count if I thought the Bunny Picnic was the best thing ever when I was in first grade? :stick_out_tongue:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, I think initially it was intentional (not unlike the way Mel Blanc changed Barney Rubble's voice towards the end of the first season). Since Gonzo was originally a depressed type character, but after the first season Dave decided to give him more energy and I guess some time later Dave decided to give him a more energetic type of voice. But in recent years I think the change was more of Dave getting older and not being able to perform the same raspy voice for the character that he used to. Just thought I'd share.

I've noticed the same for Bunsen Honeydew who was also voiced by Goelz. I notice a difference in how he sounded on The Muppet Show than how he sounded in the recent movies, but that change wasn't quite as noticeable.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In The Muppet Christmas Carol, in the scene where Belle breaks up with Scrooge, I misunderstood the meaning of her saying "another year before our wedding".

As a kid, I thought it meant "just one more year before our wedding", don't think I noticed that she didn't sound excited when saying that. Can't remember when I realized what she really meant was "we have to wait at least another year before our wedding, which we've had to do before".

During Fozzie and Rowlf's rendition of "I've Got Rhythm", it took a few years before I knew what was going on. I didn't understand Fozzie was singing bad, or why Rowlf kept basically saying he was wrong. When Rowlf showed him how to sing, I thought he was telling Fozzie what his line was (as opposed to how he's supposed to sing the line) and wondered why Fozzie apparently got it wrong when he repeated. I didn't realize that Rowlf changing it to "I Don't Got Rhythm" was because he didn't (of course when I first heard that, I didn't know what rhythm was, though unlike a lot of other things I was confused by, I actually did ask within a short amount of time after seeing it). It wasn't until I watched "It's the Muppets!: Meet the Muppets" with the closed captioning on, where the captions say "(out of rhythm)", that I finally knew.

Similarly, I had a bit of trouble understanding Statler and Waldorf's heckling in that song. After Rowlf and Fozzie sing the line "who could ask for anything more?", Statler says "we can!" and Waldorf says "yeah, earplugs!" I couldn't understand what Statler was saying, but Waldorf's line made me think that Statler said "Earplugs!" (even though I didn't think it sounded like that) and Waldorf was just repeating/agreeing.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
As a kid, I used to think Bip Bippadotta had characters that looked like him.

The orange muppet in "Fat Cat" and "None Some All" I thought was his annoying brother. The "Air Guy" (as I used to call him) I thought was another character that liked to act jazzy.

And the Mahna Mahna puppet from the Muppet Show I thought was another annoying relative of his.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
A Follow That Bird mistake I've made:

When I was little, in the Don't Drop Inn scene, I thought the Grouch who ordered the spaghetti with maple syrup was Oscar, even though Oscar is clearly shown to not have ordered anything yet, and the Grouch with the spaghetti isn't wearing a hat.

It wasn't until I was older that I realized the spaghetti Grouch is just a generic Grouch, and not Oscar. Kids make dumb mistakes sometimes. :smirk: