Your Feedback: Save Internet Radio

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Good info, Phillip!

I wasn't going to mention much about this on the podcast, but I think a LOT of Muppet fans enjoy listening to Muppet Central Radio (myself included of course), and losing that always-accessible connection back to the music we love would be horrible. I've decided to spend a couple minutes next week talking about the legislation, where we are right now, and what we can do to make sure that this new legislation introduced by Messrs. Inslee and Manzullo does take hold.

Any specific information you'd like me to share, Phillip?

peyjenk

Reaction score
I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I don't quite understand the threat. Could somebody spell it out in layman's terms?

Luke

Reaction score
Basically any broadcast company, whether internet, radio or satellite has to pay royalties to play the music they do. Internet radio pays per track played. The rate looks set to rise by anything upto around 90% over the next few years and would also impose a $500 fee each year per channel, and backdate them all to last year. MC Radio is part of LIVE365 and has to pay their fees. If their fees go up this much to cover the royalties and extra costs it could mean MC Radio and other small stations could no longer afford to continue in the way they do.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Yikes, 90%? AND backdated? That seems really extreme. What is the motivation behind it?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Federal Register pushed back the royalty due date from May 15th to July 15th. This increases the window of opportunity for webcasters to fight the unfair royalty rates with better strategies and planned campaigns on Capitol Hill and awareness campaigns in media. Many believe that the pressure of HR 2060 (the Internet radio Equality Act introduced to the House of Representatives) might have played an important role in the extra time granted.

Please continue your efforts to call your Representatives. Ask them to cosponsor HR 2060. For their numbers and the talking points, visit www.live365.com/choice.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes, 90%? AND backdated? That seems really extreme. What is the motivation behind it?
As in most things, it's about the money. What they don't realize is that the CRB ruling would all but extinct most legal on-line radio stations that play music. That's why everyone needs to contact their Representatives to help get the Internet Radio Equality Act sent to Congress for a vote.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I think it's more likely, they really don't care.

This is not the first time this issue has come about.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Day of Silence

Live365, along with the SaveNetRadio coalition and thousands of Internet radio stations throughout the U.S. will be participating in a Day of Silence on Tuesday, June 26th.

On June 26th, from 3 a.m. Pacific to midnight, all 10,000 Live365 stations launched from the website, and Internet radio broadcasts nationwide, will go silent. Free listeners who tune into Live365.com stations will be redirected to a Day of Silence stream that offers an explanation, broadcaster testimonials and a call to action. VIP listeners will receive a Day of Silence PSA before being connected to the station's regular programming.

We understand the possible disruptions this can cause, but feel drastic measures are necessary. Joining together with all other Internet radio stations we will show what listeners can look forward to if things don't change quickly... Silence.

Internet radio needs your help. Take time today to contact your congressman through the link below.

http://www.live365.com/choice/

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Private donations

This is, of course, a terrible thing, most of all because it will bring an end to the wide variety of music that different people enjoy. I was wondering, is Muppet Central open to pdirect donations? I realize it is possible to subscribe to Live365 and support stations that way, but I'm sure you can understand why I'd rather go the more direct and personal route!
:smile: Of course, I'll also be supporting you by buying all the cool new merchandise on Amazon!
:wink:
:excited:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So everybody knows... Tomorrow, June 26th, all stations that are part of Live 365 will observe a Day of Silence as if they were bracing for the worst case scenario. Subscribers who listen free will get the Day of Silence silent feed and broadcaster testimonials. VIP members will get the information about Live 365's Day of Silence, and then be connected to the station's normal programming.