You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So I’m looking back at a lot of posts of mine from 2018 in the rant thread…… wow. Just looking at those posts reminded me of how much of an absolute dumpster fire that year was, as was its previous years 2016 and 17. 2019 was at least a little better but could still get pretty frustrating from time to time with certain scenarios. Then came 2020.

But anyway, yeah, that was just an awful year for me. Cutting ties with so many toxic friends (that one and 2020 were two big ones far as removing toxic friends from my group), even getting to the point where I was getting sick of another close friend of mine and didn’t take him out until April of the following year (if you know who, you know who), my dad’s side of the family becoming completely divided no thanks to my absolute scumbag grandpa cheating on my late grandma and just being absolutely toxic (and sadly it only got worse since this year since she passed on from covid this year; my dad hardly talks to anyone on his side of the family now), dealing with that INCREDIBLY disorganized **** show mobile barbershop known as Mobile Cuts Boston (but if anything, it really helped me learn that it’s not worth clinging to if your boss is just gonna continually ghost you), among other stuff.

If anything though, I also really don’t like how I sounded that year. I matured a lot more by 2019 and 2020 especially. There were times I really just sounded like an absolute ****** and came off really cringey (if anything I also blame that on certain toxic friends who had a big influence on me like that). I’m really glad I changed more these past three years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
YouTube has always had some of the strangest video trends, and no, I'm not speaking of all of the various challenges over the years like the Ice Bucket Challenge or the Mannequin Challenge, I mean bandwagon trends like unboxing videos that even Cookie Monster jumped on board with years ago. Anyway, it seems like the biggest new trend right now is keyboard videos, in which people basically just record videos of themselves typing on their computer keyboards, and that's pretty much it . . . it seems like almost like it's becoming something of a subgenre of ASMR videos, since it seems like a majority of these keyboard videos are so we can hear what their keyboards sounds like.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of content creators on YouTube must be out of ideas right now, because there's suddenly an influx of videos of doctors, surgeons, and other medical professionals analyzing the injuries Harry and Marv endure via Kevin's booby traps in the HOME ALONE movies, and it's like we've already had YouTube videos like that for years - how many different takes could there be on these injuries?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein having that title? It is the first of the "Abbot and Costello Meet..." series of films where they meet movie monsters, but in this first one, Dracula and the Wolf Man are featured just as prominently (maybe even more so) than Frankenstein's Monster. I feel like it should have had a different title. Was Frankenstein just really marketable back then?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a song called "Words", by Missing Persons. The common lyric is "what are words for? 'Cause no one listens anymore."

So was that topical back when the song was written? Is it true that, at least back then, nobody listened anymore?

And if no one listened anymore, how could they be sure that people would listen to the song?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I think that song was mostly tongue in cheek to be honest. But that’s honestly one of my favorite Missing Persons songs, and they’re just an underrated band in general.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've recently been watching Fun and Fancy Free and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.... What was the point of the two segments in both movies having different narrators? Was it always planned that the stories would later be seen on their own?

It's odd in Fun and Fancy Free. Jimminy Cricket shows up and finds a Dinah Shore record.... Couldn't Jimminy have told the story? I guess if they stuck with the original plan for it to be its own feature film, we might have just gotten Shore narrating, without an introduction of her voice being on a record.

Seems like having Jimminy Cricket play the record seems like a set-up to lead to the second half, with Jimminy going to Edgar Bergen's party (gotta link the segments somehow!). But couldn't Bergen have just told both of the stories at the party? Or maybe Dinah Shore could have been a guest at the party and then left the movie (or watched Bergen tell the next story)? Even if they planned to release these on their own later all along and thought it'd stand out to have the same kind of linking footage for separate films, most solo releases of Mickey and the Beanstalk replace Edgar Bergan with a different narrator and different footage.

I can't decide if it's more or less redundant in Ichabod and Mr. Toad, where we never see the narrators. We just get Basil Rothbone tell the first story and Bing Crosby tell the second. It could have worked just as well with one narrator.