You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I guess all those people who claimed that Cheerios commercial with that little girl who had a white mother and a black father was evil and Satanic are probably shitting their pants now that we have this Swiffer commercial with a one-armed white guy and his black girlfriend/wife/significant other.

Incidentally, the kid in that Cheerios commercial looks a bit like my (also biracial) niece.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember reading when she was first building up her career, producers tried to talk Lena Horne into passing herself off as Hispanic since she was light-skinned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess all those people who claimed that Cheerios commercial with that little girl who had a white mother and a black father was evil and Satanic are probably shitting their pants now that we have this Swiffer commercial with a one-armed white guy and his black girlfriend/wife/significant other.
The amount of brain-numbing backwards thinking out there is horrifying beyond belief. I hope to see more mixed race couples in commercials to rub their 1918 noses in it.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Could the light-skinned/dark-skinned thing be "truth in television"? I don't know the races of anybody here, but when it comes to black women I know, the light-skinned ones seem to be more pleasant while the darker ones seem like they have attitude problems. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.
well im dark skinned and i don"t have any attitude problems the only way i get an attitude is if someone does something like start an argument or steel something from me or if someone tries to make my life misrable by constanly doing stuff like make it hard for me to get something that i really want like for example if i apply for a job that i want but someone i know works there that i do not get along with and that person tries everything to stop me from getting the job that"s when i will get an attitude problem other than that my attitude is peaches and cream so the that sterotype needs to end

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I notice Lifetime (not that I regularly watch Lifetime or anything) seems to have a trend in movies right now that all have the exact same plot: a guy meets a girls online, they get together, and it turns out the girl is a deranged psychopath who ruins not only the man's life but her family's life as well.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I notice Lifetime (not that I regularly watch Lifetime or anything) seems to have a trend in movies right now that all have the exact same plot: a guy meets a girls online, they get together, and it turns out the girl is a deranged psychopath who ruins not only the man's life but her family's life as well.
yeah i noticed that two and how about the lifetime movie plots teen makes friends . friends turn against teen

Drtooth

Reaction score
Two things...

One, HEY! Welcome to 1999, Lifetime! We were waiting for you to get hip and relevant for all the homies getting crunk in the cloughb. You got any films in the works about hanging chads? pretty sure they were warning kids about going in chatrooms and meeting people back when people were actually stupid enough to do that... or rather, were able to actually meet each other outside of the computer.

and two. I'm surprised that they have stories about a guy meeting a dangerous woman online. It's Lifetime. Isn't everything they do supposed to be about how evil men are and how they're all trying to hurt you because it's Lifetime (or however that Family Guy quote went)? Unless the guy is cheating on his wife, and then it's supposed to be how men are all horrible because they're unfaithful or something.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Something I've noticed about fandoms in general: On TV Tropes, a certain episode of iCarly entitled "iMeet Fred" is an especially hated episode (it seems to be pretty universally hated, but it's gotten a lot of backlash on TV Tropes), basically because it involves Freddie becoming a pariah because he said he doesn't find YouTube one-trick pony Fred all that funny (which, in that universe, is apparently only an opinion Freddie has, hence his becoming a pariah; most people in the real world would consider that opinion far too generous, but I digress). Okay, so that episode is hated on TV Tropes because it makes it seem that it's unacceptable to have an opinion that most people share. Why, then, is that same attitude considered acceptable in real world fandoms? Seriously, in many, many fandoms, people will treat you like you have no right to have an opinion that most other fans don't share (even if you give your opinion in the most reasonable way). I think it's especially hypocritical for TV Tropes users to have this attitude, because not only is that where I've seen most criticism of "iMeet Fred," but it's also the place where I've come across the most people who have the "OMG-how-dare-you-express-an-opinion-that-the-majority-doesn't-share" attitude. Is it just Moral Myopia on their part?:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the risk of completely changing the subject, is there a trope for a most hated episode of something? Not that I feel like looking it up, but I just want to have the name attached.

But that's the problem with fandoms, anyway. There are some things that some fans are so passionate about that they actually take offense to other fans not liking things. It shouldn't happen, but does, even to those who want to be above that sort of thing. It's also why I stay the heck away from the Transformers fanbase. They're (supposedly) one of the worst with tremendous amounts of infighting over G1, Beast Wars, The Movies, Animated... the most general consensus is that they really don't like some of the anime series. Especially the Unicron trilogy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At the risk of completely changing the subject, is there a trope for a most hated episode of something? Not that I feel like looking it up, but I just want to have the name attached.
It was proposed a while back as a YKTTW, it was originally Scrappy Episode, then it was shortened to Scrappisode, then it was discarded altogether because everybody hated it.