Worst/creepiest puppets/puppeteer work

mr3urious

Reaction score
For every good puppet like the Muppet Show or Puzzle Place characters, there are dozens of awful ones. Here's what I think are some of the worst:

- These ones come from an awful, low-budget, straight-to-video SS wannabe called Peppermint Park. The human characters especially look ugly with their shrunken, realistic heads; linebacker shoulders; and monkey mouths. Witness the valley that is most uncanny.

- These Christian puppets sing about their non-resemblance to monkeys. I think they're right on the money, don't you? :big_grin:

- I didn't know Fizzgig could speak, and was German!

- Those teeth! :eek:

- Ick! Terrible lip sync, hard-to-hear voice over the loud music, and a downright horrifying puppet design!

Share your thoughts here.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Have you seen the "Helping Hands" video from England? It's chock full of hideous puppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but there are quite a few ugly characters on Letter People... but some that really overcome the handicap of their budget (the second Monty Swell puppet was very nice... looked better than some of the other characters). But unlike THOSE shows, it really didn't matter. The writing was fairly clever (i picked up watching a few episodes on YT), and after a while, when the budget allowed, they had some really good ones.

Buyt here's an example of what I mean...
This was from the first episode Note how generic Melissa looked...

But they got better as time went on, and again, the writing was clever enough to save their handicap.

Now Peppermint Park is an abomination. And naming one of the Characters "Ernie"... really. If there's one thing I've always hated is Puppets= kid's television because Sesame Street= kids television and Sesame Street=puppets. It also = cash grab. That said, I also can't say all that many nice things about New Zoo Revue... those are some UGLY characters... at least the Hippo is just dreadful looking. And I don't like the clear bulbs with eyes rolling around in them either... ick. However, there's a blooper that I CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ever show here that came about the final day of taping that was so disgustingly raunchy and hilarious, I actually have a small respect for the show.

But those Christian puppet shows... not getting against the religion at all, but Vegitales and 321 Penguins they are NOT. Unenjoyable on EVERY level. And Dogmatic at worst. Not relatable.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some of you HAVE seen how my Squirrely Squirrel puppets have turned out right? I believe that right there is enough proof that of my lack of construction skills. :smirk:

As for creepy puppets, I hate to admit, but even Henson and the Kroffts had their share of abominations... on the Henson side, there was Bozark the Elephant from Animal Jam... kinda creepin'. Then, I don't know, for some reason after the respective television show and movie in the early 70s, the Pufnstuf puppets didn't look good at all until more recent years; the puppet used at last year's TV Land awards was the best looking Puf puppet since 1970, IMO.

Goriddle Gorilla from The Great Space Coaster isn't exactly an attractive puppet either.

Just goes to show you, and I believe it was Boris Badenov who said "There's a little bad in everything good."

mr3urious

Reaction score
As for creepy puppets, I hate to admit, but even Henson and the Kroffts had their share of abominations... on the Henson side, there was Bozark the Elephant from Animal Jam... kinda creepin'. Then, I don't know, for some reason after the respective television show and movie in the early 70s, the Pufnstuf puppets didn't look good at all until more recent years; the puppet used at last year's TV Land awards was the best looking Puf puppet since 1970, IMO.
And let's not forget early Big Bird and Snuffy. *shudders*

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what the worst part about that puppet show is? There is NO WAY to keep a straight face when they say "Do we come from monkeys" and NOT make any obvious "Of course you do, you cheap pieces of felt" comments about them.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
The most disturbing puppets I recall seeing are the puppet versions of The Wiggles. I saw them on YouTube because the video came up in the related videos while I was looking for Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVV4h38wnMI

It must be the giant eyes and those freaky smiles. Anything that looks that happy must be up to somethin'!