Why the Time is Right for a New Muppet Babies

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think this show will need some recasts in the voice department if a new MB does go through. Frank Welker will probably get the axe considering the cost, and I don't know if Russi Taylor can still do the raspy tone of Baby Gonzo. But Nanny will obviously need one. I'm thinking Patricia Heaton (The Middle) or Julie Bowen (Modern Family) because corporate synergy, that's why. And also because June Cleaver originally voiced her, so they should maintain the pattern of a sitcom mom voicing her. :big_grin:

I'm also curious as to how Dee Bradley Baker will pull off Baby Animal. He should be able to do it as it doesn't sound too different from some of the animal sounds he does in other shows.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think this show will need some recasts in the voice department if a new MB does go through. Frank Welker will probably get the axe considering the cost, and I don't know if Russi Taylor can still do the raspy tone of Baby Gonzo. But Nanny will obviously need one. I'm thinking Patricia Heaton (The Middle) or Julie Bowen (Modern Family) because corporate synergy, that's why. And also because June Cleaver originally voiced her, so they should maintain the pattern of a sitcom mom voicing her. :big_grin:

I'm also curious as to how Dee Bradley Baker will pull off Baby Animal. He should be able to do it as it doesn't sound too different from some of the animal sounds he does in other shows.
Ooh yeah, I like the idea of Patricia Heaton as Nanny and Dee Bradley Baker as Animal.
Baby Kermit and Baby Gonzo shouldn't be too hard to replace, they're voices seem pretty easy to imitate.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I'd much rather see something in traditional animation myself, or at least fluidly-animated Flash like The Lion Guard. We don't get enough preschool shows in that medium nowadays. If cost is the reason, then shouldn't the merchandising bucks more than cover it? Preschool shows are a very lucrative market, are they not?
I would be in favor of traditional/flash as well. The characters and animation were very expressive in the old show (not to mention high quality as well), so if the show ever does get a new run in CGI, I hope they could retain the expressiveness of the old show.

About the voice actors...I think Greg Berg and Katie Leigh might be able to reprise their characters. They've made various appearances the last ten years doing their characters (here's an appearance of them at SDCC in 2006), so it might be a possibility. I'm not sure about Laurie O'Brien - I just glanced at her IMDB page, and it looks like she hasn't done a voice role for a while. 2002 is the most recent year she's had a voice credit according to IMDB. I'd love to see Russi as Gonzo again, but if she can't get the same raspy voice like she did years ago, I wouldn't mind if somebody else can do it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering this is all hypothetical, I would honestly rather see the one thing the original series never did. Just have the characters voiced by their respective puppeteers, or at least their understudies. I think that could very well be accomplished.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Considering this is all hypothetical, I would honestly rather see the one thing the original series never did. Just have the characters voiced by their respective puppeteers, or at least their understudies. I think that could very well be accomplished.
I'd much rather there be professional VAs for the sake of keeping the Muppeteers from spreading themselves too thin. At least have Artie Esposito play Baby Kermit.

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
Since we're talking about who should voice the characters, here are some of my VA suggestions for any "new" Muppet Babies:

Link Hogthrob--Jeff Bennett
Denise--Jennifer Hale
Beauregard--Phil LaMarr
Rizzo--Ben Diskin
Swedish Chef--Matt Hill?