Why the Elton John Muppet show is my favorite

Slackbot

Reaction score
I think that they sang the song so badly, jumping in somewhere in the middle, that Kermit couldn't tell what it was. I don't blame Kermit; I still can't tell which part of the song they were yowling.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I think that they sang the song so badly, jumping in somewhere in the middle, that Kermit couldn't tell what it was. I don't blame Kermit; I still can't tell which part of the song they were yowling.
All I've gotten so far is that the la la la la la is "bennie and the jets"

DrDientes

Reaction score
This is my favorite episode as well. The running gags are amazing, I love every song, and everything just fits so perfectly (like the Pigs In Space sketch being interrupted by the Swedish Chef and the chicken).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I've always understood that to be ignorance on the part of Scooter- i.e. I think maybe he heard it on the radio or something and didn't realize that it was actually an Elton John song...:wink:
After reviewing that scene, I don't think so. Scooter showed no surprise at hearing that it was one of Elton's songs, and neither did any of the others who sang it. Kermit was the only one who acted as if it was a surprise. I think that Scooter was just showing off, displaying more enthusiasm than talent at that point.
Hmm-okay. Good point. Maybe Scooter just wanted to particularly request that Elton John play "Bennie and the Jets" on the show? That doesn't seem like such a totally unprofessional request to me...but I suppose it is up to the guest star's prerogative to some degree....still, if you agree to appear on The Muppet Show, it seems you would also agree to do what you're asked (within reason) if you want to get the paycheck. (Such as it is...I think Sir Elton's paycheck might have been his adoring lunch.:wink::big_grin:)

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
Admittedly the EJ episode of TMS introduced me to what Elton really was (more than just Lion King). The only thing that irked me is when I later discovered "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was edited on TMS. Maybe "vodka and tonics" (http://www.eltonography.com/songs/goodbye_yellow_brick_road.html) was taboo in late-70's family programming (though ironically the Peter Sellers episode had that "Cigarettes and Whiskey" song).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I also love that episode. The Swedish Chef and chicken gag, Scooter going all Walter on Elton John, and especially the last backstage scene with Sam which cracks me up everytime.