Why isn't the Muppet Show on TV?

MuppetVision

Reaction score
Kids

I still call my self a kid (I am one) I'm 15. I love the muppets. I collect a lot of there stuff. But a lot of kids don't really know them that well, I think. They know Rugrats, Sponge Bob, and Pokemon. Muppets might be more well known if it is out there more. Nickolodean should still have it, or like someo one said, TV Land. O, well.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by sugarbritchez
Do you think we could email on of the many stations to see if we could request it be put on the air....maybe with a few hundred folks requesting it....it might do some good....what do you think?
This kind of thing has been suggested in the past and I can tell you that campaigns like these are usually a waste of time and effort. While we have no real way of knowing just how large the Muppet fan base is, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we're relatively small, even on a world wide scale. Our numbers just aren't sufficiently large enough to get results that way. Now if say about 10,000 or so people wrote to one of the major networks demanding an old series be brought back... THEN we might stand a good chance of seeing it happen. But even 200 letters/emails are insignificant to a major network that has a viewing audience of several million. AFAIK, the only time a campaign like this was ever successful was during the 80s when rumours of the cancellation of the showCagney & Lacey started circulating, and a massive letter writing campaign in the thousands resulted and thus saved its demise. ( though for how many additional seasons, I don't know) That's the only instance I know of, anyway.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster
Now if say about 10,000 or so people wrote to one of the major networks demanding an old series be brought back... THEN we might stand a good chance of seeing it happen.
Well, we do have a good 10,000...check out Warrick's Online Fraggle DVD Petition. That has yet to succeed in it's goal, and that has near 10,000 signatures.

I'm thinking more like 30,000 for action on behalf of a major network. And your right Scott, it is really a waste of time at this point. Its up the networks themselves, I guess :frown:

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Well, we do have a good 10,000...check out Warrick's Online Fraggle DVD Petition. That has yet to succeed in it's goal, and that has near 10,000 signatures.

I'm thinking more like 30,000 for action on behalf of a major network. And your right Scott, it is really a waste of time at this point. Its up the networks themselves, I guess :frown:

-Matt
Sooo, if everyone would just write 5 letters each...:wink:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster
AFAIK, the only time a campaign like this was ever successful was during the 80s when rumours of the cancellation of the showCagney & Lacey started circulating, and a massive letter writing campaign in the thousands resulted and thus saved its demise. ( though for how many additional seasons, I don't know) That's the only instance I know of, anyway.
Actually, there have been a LOT more instances than this, usually for sci-fi shows. The original Star Trek was the first show to save itself from cancellation due to write-ins from fans. Since then, shows such as Quantum Leap, Sliders and Beauty & the Beast have been saved from cancellation the same way. I'll agree with you that, unfortunately, it's not very effective anymore. Now whenever ANY show gets cancelled, it seems (even the really bad ones), hundreds of people write in to demand that it get put back on the air. Out of necessity, the networks have just started ignoring these things. Unfortunately, that means that good shows will get cancelled for the dumbest reasons, just like the old days, and no matter what steps the fans take, the network is deaf to their pleas (see Farscape example).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Out of necessity, the networks have just started ignoring these things. Unfortunately, that means that good shows will get cancelled for the dumbest reasons, just like the old days, and no matter what steps the fans take, the network is deaf to their pleas (see Farscape example).
And yet, NBC will never let A.U.S.A. die..... it's sad really!

Ooooh! I'm a lawyer, and my roomate's an idiot... HA hah hah.

And another thing... Grounded for life moved to the WB... Even if the stars of the show died for some reason, they'd come back from the dead to make more episodes..... You can't kill something that is Dead, brain dead that is....