Why Isn't The Forum More Hoppin?(pun intended)

beaker

Reaction score
Hey hey hey. I am still here literally every day, I just have a lot less funny things too say that I used to, and my rule is that if its not funny (or at the very least doesn't add something to the conversation) don't say anything.

The explosion of Facebook/Twitter/etc led to new ways for me to get my internal needs for an Audience to my comedy met, plus MC gave me the confidence to be a lot more funny/interesting/real outside of here too in #reallife. So, I guess that just meant that I could get my crazy out 24/7, and I didn't need such an amazing, safe place as MC to do it anymore.

I love everyone here! I'm sure we'll all be back together to review/nitpick/complainabout/LOVE the new movie.
Well I am glad you are here! MC means a lot to me. It was exactly 15 years ago almost to the day I was on my college library computer I discovered Muppet Central. That night? I was chatting with Jerry Nelson on the chat and people working on Muppets From Space. Yeah, I was a pretty immature little cretin, but I will always hold those moments close to my heart. I understand change is inevitable...arcades are gone. Video stores are gone. Landline phones are gone. And I know forums are no longer a cool thing.

It kind of hurts to think back to the pre Tough Pigs exodus split or the Palisaides input period, and know MC will never get to that level again. And Ive made peace with that.
But I just feel like this place deserves to be thriving again. Its great everyone can tumblr twitter vine instagram facebook some Muppet love...but I like forums as a clearing house for all things muppety and fun.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Like I stated earlier, it is what you make of it. It can be a thriving scene or it can be a barren desert. I honestly feel the moderators and everyone actively involved here are trying to keep it as relevant as possible, and maintain a level where newcomers can feel welcome (hopefully) and encouraged to participate without feeling threatened. In an ideal world this would work, but at the same time it's a task to keep the trolls and spammers and pests at bay. But if everyone puts a little effort into it, it can reach another peak, or at least a reasonable standard.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
hmmmmm...it says I've been a member since 2005 but I know I've been hanging around since the Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie came out. I want to say that I had to resign up for membership or something...or maybe I just lurked. To be honest I like coming here but never really have much to say (and to be honest when I do I'm hardly ever noticed). I was thinking...even between now and 2005 I've just reached 1000 post. I guess my thought is unless you are very popular around here it can be difficult to be involved. And I certainly don't mean any offense to those who are, but I've always felt this is a tough community to become part of. Even as a puppeteer, beyond just being a muppet fan, I've felt that I've been looked down upon because I only perform and do not have the talent to build my own puppets. So yeah..I like it here and I still stop in almost every day...just don't have much to say. A little bit of a rant here but not meant to offend anyone...just some thoughts :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know forums are a little outdated now, but I love em. As much as I am an 80s kid, I am also a kid of the 90s and early 2000's too.
I think that's the nail on the head right there. This is essentially the only forum I'm bothering with at the moment, and I have a foot out the door every so often. I'm thinking of up and leaving after the MMW film. That doesn't mean I'm not a Muppet fan, by any means. Just, I don't want to forum much anymore, even though I'm here almost every day. I'm sure I can get the same news on Mindset and Toughpigs that I can get here, if only having to wait a little longer in cases. I've had problems on some other forums and the others where I didn't, I just gave up with and haven't been compelled to come back.

There is a fandom, maybe a disappointingly casual one. I just doubt we're going to get huge traffic every time there's a movie, and when there is, they don't stick around much.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I guess it depends what the point is. I still think this place exists for a reason -- its a different outlet to Facebook, etc, in that you know that your voice will be heard by people who at least know what you are talking about. ("Foo-Foo is back!" is greeted with, "I wonder how Floyd feels about that?" rather than, "Who-who is back!?")

So for those kinds of discussions, this place is necessary. Its just all the more personal, or more crazy fun stuff, that has sort of migrated across to other forms. That's why I only post if I am either going to be funny, or have something to add.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I was promoted to Hospital Educator in August, and a time of transition (computer charting, etc) has kept me absurdly busy.

How busy, you ask?

Can't even update my fics more quickly than once a month or every other month, THAT'S how busy.

I am eagerly anticipating the new movie, but I don't want it spoiled, so I tend to stay away from those threads.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
*Steps up to microphone* Is this thing on? It is? Oh good.
So hai. Yep, I'm here. I've been away for quite awhile - life offline has gotten VERY real for me in the last nine months or so...I'm having a baby in a couple of weeks. Yep. You heard me right. The newest little Muppet fan is due to arrive around December 13th. And after learning I was having this little guy (it is a boy) I just found I didn't have the draw or desire to come around here as much I guess. It's also due to my workload just being more true work. I used to have a very boring job with little to do and those days are long gone.

I miss the old days of the forum, I still love the Muppets so much, but I agree with anyone who has said that Facebook and Twitter have kind of taken over - I know that's where I focus most of my online time these days.

So anyway, I guess I just wanted to poke in and say hello to any oldies who remember me at this point - I don't know how much/at all I'll be posting or around, but that's my story and where I'm at. Excited for the new movie, most definitely. But I have to be a mom first and I guess that's my main focus now!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously, where does this, "Oh hai" thing come from? I feel so left in the dark.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Seriously, where does this, "Oh hai" thing come from? I feel so left in the dark.
I come back after months away and that's all you have to say to me Snowthy? I'm sad now! But I can speak to this at least for me - a friend of mine does it all the time so honestly I just copied it from her. I'm not really sure of it's origin...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I come back after months away and that's all you have to say to me Snowthy? I'm sad now!
I follow your blog and we're both on Facebook. :stick_out_tongue:

Just kidding, but seriously. I think I've become just a tad desensitized to old timers popping in on occasion.