Why do the "New" Muppets look so off?

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I honestly dont see anything wrong with fozzie and gonzo when i look at them...... honestly I dont pay attention too much to new designs unless something drastically has changed like fozzie not wearing his tie, or kermit not having a collar, or even scooter not having his muppet show jacket on!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My examples are Gonzo and Fozzie. They look so off! I miss the classic look. Gonzo nose is fatter and shorter looking and Fozzie looks like a stuffed animal. Like bigger rounder head. I miss the old look of them. The rest are great!

I've noted this in several threads too. I really don't know why they messed with the perfection of Gonzo. I think the direction must have come from artists who don't know the character very well. As for Fozzie, I think there were fur issues. It appears that Disney likes to make multiple batches of puppets and it's hard to find a lot of fur material etc (or so I've heard). I could be wrong about that.

But as has been said, some characters like Scooter, Janice and Rowlf have never looked better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really feels the problem with Gonzo is that he's over-perfected and streamlined. The nose especially looks like they took the subtlety out of it and just went for a straight up how he usually looks in illustration and toy form. Other than that, the movements are kinda stiff.

Fozzie's a fur issue.Other than that, I don't really see much of a problem. He's had awkwardly shaped heads before.

That's the thing, though. The problems seem to be with those characters with mileage may vary things about others.

On the other hand, we're seeing the best looking Piggy puppets in years, the older characters that had to be rebuilt look fantastic.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
The Muppets were never cartoon cute, and I think that's what Disney/Puppet Heap has tried to do with them. That said, we could do a whole lot worse.

Don't forget, it ain't the size/shape of the puppet.... it's what you do with it. :stick_out_tongue:

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score
Gonzo bothers me, not so much because the current puppet is really that bad, but just because I really felt like they had him perfected before. He looked so good in pretty much everything from Muppet Treasure Island through Letters to Santa. I miss that design for him, but he still looks pretty good now. Fozzie doesn't really bother me. He definitely different, but not really better or worse in my opinion. It is true that there is a little something that seems to have been lost with a lot of the current puppets, but most of them still look good enough when they're performed that I have no trouble looking past it.