Why Disney? Or Episode One: The Phantom Mouse

Luke

Reaction score
<<Could this be Disney playing nice? That is something that is a topic for debate. >>

EXACTLY Jamie, i think you hit the nail on the head. This is the first clear factual example we have of Disney 'playing nice' with Henson for some time - yet we have that other article from Jim Hill with all the imaginary stuff.

I wonder what Diz are gonna do with MCC ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I hear that MCC was shot in a different aspect ratio that would make cropping less distractng, though I hope it's still widescreen (unlikely). If I remember corectly there was a featurette for that too. I bet it will be close to the MTI disc.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i bet it will be similar to MTI too - it's a totally brand new MTI featurette on the disc isn't it ? So maybe they'll edit a brand new one for MCC too.

The one thing i didn't get about the MTI disc is that Steve Whitmire didn't appear on the commentary as himself, though Rizzo is there on the DVD, and Dave is on the commentary as himself and performing Gonzo. I guess maybe they thought threee voices (incl Brian) might be confusing ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke

To be honest, the commentary is great but it didn't seem as thought out as in other DVDs so this could be the reason that Whitmire, Goelz etc didn't appear on the track along with Brian.

The MTI featurette is not really new. It appears to be a mixtrue of previous bits from the Disney Channel and various press junkets mixed in with a few new shots. The new stuff consists of cutaways with Gonzo and Rizzo (with an appearance by Steve and Dave) and a very brief snip of Bill.

I don't mean to put the featurette down in anyway, but you know as well as I do what regurgitated material looks like. It seemed a bit rushed too, but I did enjoy it very much. Not enough real behind the scenes footage for me - mostly talking heads. I'm sure you get the gist. I am happy they included anything at all, but I still feel those who are calling it the best Muppet DVD ever is an exaggeration. It's the 3rd best IMHO behind TMM and MFS (DVD not the film iteslf). I found the camera tests and bloopers in those to be more interesting than the featurette in MTI.

CrockAlley

Reaction score
Thing that worries me: Whether Disney, Sony, Viacom, NewsCorp, or Time Warner, I cannot support any of it. These corporations are the five largest in the world. There is great difficulty in finding any media (movies, TV, etc) not connected (read: owned) to one of these corporations. And the freakiest thing is that they have dealings with each other.
My point is that with so much control over the media industry, any one of these giants would have significantly less interest in producing quality work than a smaller (read: independant) business.

Above all, it's a moral issue for me. To think that 90% of our media exposure comes from only five sources sickens me.
I could go on, but I won't.

Read this anti media monopoly propaganda!

uncleduke

Reaction score
Re: Bean

Originally posted by frogboy4
To DreamWorks’ credit they do have a sizeable film and animation division. I just think they're too new for the Muppets. They haven't had enough time to really prove themselves as a company. They don't have a theme park either and after the lackluster results of Spirit (that I saw coming from a mile away) I don't think they'll be up for spending much money. Disney is the big fish here and I agree - as long as the Muppets are going to be bought by a big company they deserve the best.
Here is where we disagree....
Although Disney is the biggest fish in the pond, I do not think they are the best.
I think if they aquire the Muppets, they (the Muppets) will be Cinderella to Disney's Stepmother and sisters.
They will not stick the risky concepts with their proven comodities, they will toss those bones to the Muppets. And if the product is a success, it will be because of the genius' at Disney... and guess who will be blamed for the failure of and of these products? Yup, Kermit and company (aren't there like 3 talking dog movies in production right now?).

I would prefer them to go to Dreamworks where they will be treated not only as equals, but with respect.

>>>They haven't had enough time to really prove themselves as a company<<<

Four Words
Academy Award Winner: Shrek (loser Monsters Inc)
Dreamworks beat the mouse once, C'mon do it again!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit to being quite pleased when Shrek won over Monsters inc. Others have flamed me for my views on this, but I still feel it was the better all-around film.

I have uneasy feelings about Dreamworks though. I don't have as much faith that it will be around in coming decades as I do that Disney will be. I do know what you are saying though. I have been a very outspoken critic of Disney for most of my life. As for poor project decisions - Disney may not help out much in that department, but Henson green-lighted Buddy, MFS, Jack and other disappointments on their own. That and I have really become unimpressed with Spielberg and Katzenberg in recent years. I do get your point - and I woudn't be unhappy if the Muppets went Dreamworks.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Ahhhggg!! Sheck don't make me sick!!! I m not saying this b/c im a Disney Freek im just saying this b/c the movie was NOT funny at all to me, i didn't even crack a :smile: so we re-turend the dvd back! Steven and the mr. K guy DO NOT imperss me one bit, look Mr. K STILL takes creddit for the Lion King and Aladdin , we have talked about that over at laughingPlace.com.

Just look at that sisie movie DreamWorks has put out "Speart" (or how ever u spell the darn thing! lol) I don't like that animation my self, sick-an-ing to moi. DreamWorks r all so "TRYTING" to fallow in Disney steps i here every now and then, Aggghhh Sheck 2 i think im sick know!

As i been saying for the past year Disney IS STILL the BEST!!!!

uncleduke

Reaction score
I wouldn't even mind seeing a dark horse candidate like Universal cone in from behind.....
They did a great job with the Dr. Seuss theme park, it would be fun to see what they did with the Muppets.