Who is going to win "American Idol"?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by HeraLirambar
I'm rooting fer Clay. Actually, I liked him ever since he first tried out. Geeky dudes are the best. But I wish they'd stop making him all sexy and stuff. It seems like everyone is "sexy" these days. I mean, I think Clay's sexy, but I thought he was since the beginning, and I have weird tastes. I mean, I think, oh I don't know!

Go Clay!
:flirt:
I agree!! How could Simon say Clay was ugly at the beginning of the show? That was so rude? I don't mind how he looks now - as he's said, it's just clothes and stuff like that, it's not that big a deal -- I just don't want to see this competition change him.

As far as being contemporary, I've never liked contemporary music so I guess Clay's seeming kinda old-fashioned is a big draw for me. I'm worried about what kind of music they're going to write for his first CD. The CDs he home-produced were all covers. I'm hoping he signals a change in the music business.

I don't think they'd fix the votes in Clay's favor. I'd like to think they wouldn't fix them at all, and I hope they don't. But there seems to have been a big bias toward Ruben in this competition. For instance, he would do something that other contestants got criticized for but only receive praise. So it really seems like they're pulling for Ruben. If Ruben wins, though, he's a great guy and a great singer so I won't really care. Whoever wins, I think it will almost be the luck of the draw because both phone lines were completely booked for the three hours last night. I was over at a friend's house for about an hour of that time and got through for Clay twice, while a girl voting for Ruben got through twice. I don't like the voting system! I think they both maxed out on votes majorly so it will just be a matter of the few votes that slipped through the cracks, probably be like a .5% difference or something.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I definitely think both are very talented and no matter who wins, the other will get a record deal as well. However, I'd probably buy a cd from Clay because I prefer his voice more. His "Somewhere out there" and "Bridge over Troubled Water" from last night were just so good. I agree though that it is a little "Broadway" but then, I'd rather be on Broadway than a "pop idol" anyday so if he did that, it would be cool too. I agree with Jamie though about Kimberly, I wanted her to win because I respected her so much. I'd much rather buy a CD from a girl like her than any other current pop "I don't know how to wear clothes" idol.

So whoever wins, I can't wait to watch tonight!!!:excited:

Luke

Reaction score
Actually y'know something, it wouldn't suprise me if Ruben wins, but they go on to give Clay the better exposure and deal. Oh yeah, the top 3 are all usually given management with '19' who own the show. So to them, it doesn't matter who actually wins the competition.

What happened last year in the UK is that we had 'Will' - a posh public schoolboy who was the underdog, and 'Gareth' who was your average schoolgirls dreamboy. All the publicity was on Gareth but suprisingly Will won. However, they put a lot more effort into promoting Gareth in the months after the show and he's always been the more 'hip' one who's had the better career. I wonder if they'll do the same thing with Ruben and Clay.

The phone line pattern you say is exactly the same one they use over here for most of the reality shows - they weight down the phone lines. There isn't an equal amount of lines for each contestant - what happens is theres a group lot of lines for them both, the line allocation gets shifted across the two numbers according to demand (the idea is that if nobody called for one contestant, his lines wouldn't be left empty not taking any money, while the other contestants were full yet could be taking in more money if they had those extra unused lines). So you get the situation where at various times during the voting one contestant has more lines available until someone in charge actually decides to shift them - at the producers discretion. It's completely legal to do that and as they always say after the show once people complain 'The same amount of lines were AVAILABLE to each contestant' which is true, but it doesn't mean they actually had them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Clay sung Somewhere Out There again? LOL! He must really like that song. I didn't watch last night. I'm kind of Idoled out. They ran that meaningless show on Monday that didn't count and half the show last Wednesday ran during the finale of West Wing. I just lost momentum. :smirk: I'll watch tonight, but probably only the last 20 minutes. :zany:

BTW, Simon has been very enthusiastic about Ruben. I don't think there will be any vote-fixing on either side. There really is no point.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Clay sung Somewhere Out There again? LOL! He must really like that song.
Oh, no. I just meant that was one of my favorites. Only "Bridge" was from last night.

:smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I am going to win.

Anyhoo, Simon has already stated Clay is going to win. I've never watched the show this season (watched it a few times last year, and didn't get what the big deal was), but, I've seen a few interviews with him, and that's what he's said.

If you ask the other two, I think they're both undecided in their predictions.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Simon has said that both Ruben and Clay should/will win at different times. The night before Kimberly got voted off,he said that all three of them deserved to be in the final two but he also said just to Rueben that he definitely deserved it. And then last night he said to Clay that his "Bridge" may have just won him the competition. It's obviously much better group this year and a much harder decision - ie. I would have thrown up if Justin had won last year:grouchy: :big_grin: - this year I've liked most of the top finalist, all of the top four.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I definitely think this year's race is a lot tougher to call, although if Tamyra had been up against Kelly (as she should have! :mad: -- no offense Justin) I think it would've been a lot closer. I think Tamyra should have won but she maybe is better off not having won. I think most of the contestants this year ought to get a record deal of some kind. The Top 5, almost definitely. And I really hope Rickey Smith gets one too -- he's terrific and should NOT have gone out as early as he did.
Erin

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Clay all the way. Earlier in the season I was rooting for K-Lo, but alas she didn't make it to the final 2 (and I thought that she was better than Ruben last week). But then Clay sang BOTW, and you know, singing Simon & Garfunkel is the way to win my heart.

And after tonight it will be all over. *sniff*

Oh well, The Amazing Race starts next week (May 29. 8 PM. CBS. Y'all better watch it!), and I love me some TAR!