Where were you when Jim Henson died?

Ernie101

Reaction score
Wow, that was pretty dang good.

Saddening..but it was good.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was a week away from graduating from Montclair State University, and Jim's death seemed to shut the door forever on my childhood- I felt that childlike innocence would be gone forever, and now I was forced to grow up and become part of the big bad adult world. The rest of 1990 was a bummer for me, but slowly I was able to accept his death, and the big bad world doesn't seem as scary. The greatest lesson I learned from Jim was to love others, and like Kermit in the Muppet Movie, one of my goals in life is to make other people happy.

15 years later, I feel more like a kid than ever before, that childlike innocence and that spirit of wonder still lives on in me, and I've found a number of ways to express myself artistically that Jim would be proud of. I'm writing and illustrating a children's book (with help from another devoted Muppet fan), I dabble with puppets, and embrace Jim's spirit every day.

Thanks for everything you touched, Jim, including my heart.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
for some of us younger members, the only muppet stuff we saw before Henson died was Sesame Street, since they usually show reruns for a couple years mixed in with new stuff. I too never had the shock of discovering that he died, since he's been gone as long as I can remember

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I'm gonna go right ahead and double-post, just so nobody misses it:

You can't top mine.

I was 7. My 8th birthday was the next day, May 17th. I was at the kitchen table, eating dinner with my family, and watching the news on our little black and white TV (where I had often watched TMS and SS). The newscaster announced the death of Sammy Davis Jr. at the age of 64. They showed some clips. I remember a little voice in my head saying "at least it wasn't Jim Henson". Then the newscaster said Jim Henson was dead (I can't remember his exact words). I instantly started crying, the dream of meeting my idol was over, and the next day at school everyone was telling me the news, as I was my class's resident Muppet obsessor. That's all I remember about my 8th birthday.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

mummytomb

Reaction score
My Dad and I had Just hopped in the car after an orthodontist appointment. Iwas in the sixth grade. I remember holding it together just long enough to get home then I ran to my room, locked the door, and cried for the rest of the day.

I blame you, Arsenio Hall!