Where were you when Jim Henson died?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Where were you when you heard Jim Henson died?

I think it's akin to hearing that Reagan was shot or the Challenger blowing up.

I was a sophomore at Cornell when my mom casually told over the phone, and man was I floored.

The single most influential man of my generation - for me- was gone. The only other time that I felt this way was 14 years later when Fred Rogers passed, and then it hit me that the cultural icons of my childhood were going way, and I really felt aged.

Ernie101

Reaction score
I was about 4 years old, I have no idea where I was. Nor did I know that he had died at the time..

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Ernie101, the banner on your post says your 17, like me, so we were 2 when he died, so we wouldn't remember it

doctort13

Reaction score
I was at work, and read about his death in the morning newspaper. I was very upset and had a crummy day at work.

Xerus

Reaction score
I had left college and had gotten my first job. After I got home from the first day of my new job, my dad announced that 2 people had died. Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson. I was shocked when I heard my hero, Jim passed away. Then I kept reading reports in the papers and magazines and on TV wondering what will become of the Muppets. Then in November, the salute to Jim Henson special aired and Kermit was speaking again.

muppetsforever

Reaction score
let me think....

i was 12 when Jim died. all i can really remember is that i was really into drawing and painting at the time. hearing of his death killed my creativity until i was about 14/15. the only person i ever really hoped to meet in person, was taken away too soon.

on a lighter side and a twist of fate.....

I have a friend ( almost old enough to be my dad, but with a great behind lol) who is a muscian. He is friends and business partners with Jim Henson's neice!!

:eek:

how cool is that!

Ernie101

Reaction score
Sorry Gonzo, got the date confused of his death.

leliebel

Reaction score
I was about 6 or 7 years old and I saw it on the news. I didn't understand the cause of death. For years I thought he died of flesh eating micro organisms. I remember being sad, but not grieving, at that point I had not yet lost a family member and dind't understand the concept of death.

Effralyo

Reaction score
I was 4, but don`t actually remember something relating to it- since I learned about ALL the Muppets and loved them forever only in 1997... and recalled the Fraggles...
Here`s a poem I wrote this year on May 16th. Rather late, but that`s my tribute. Actually, it was in one of my fanart threads, but, okay, I repost.
The Tears of Convincing John

When you were holding me, I could talk,

And laugh, and live by your only word;

You`ve placed me here, in this fancy world,

The Greatest Master of Fraggle Rock.

I wasn`t around when you were gone,

But still believe that the dream will come true -

I`ll one more time be a part of you,

And let the others have lots of fun.

You were only one who made my eyes

And vested me with a persuade,

While building my body, you gave me soul