"Where the Wild Things Are" Trailer

Beauregard

Reaction score
I saw the trailer, and assumed it was CGI, but was totally pleased to see it's wonderful JHC puppets. It's so beautiful. And doesn't that look just a bit like Doglion's shadow in the opening of the trailer? Hehe.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Man, this is gonna be awesome, but It seemed a very odd trailer. The start of the trailer appeared to be like a horror film, but then turned all upbeat, but still with these massive, not-so-friendly monsters. And parts of that reminded me of Gorgs. The puppets look amazing, not just with texture, but the grandoise aspect that acommpanies the size and shape of the "wild things"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes! There's a moment when one of the Monster's jumps down..either into a ditch, or down a hole or something...and I thought "Gorg!" They are sort of Gorg's crossed with Doglion :stick_out_tongue:

Looks like there is also one Feather covered monster. The creepy carvings in boats creeped me out a bit though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This looks simply visionary...nay, astonishing. My goodness, Spike Jonze with the Jim Henson Creature Shop. I think the delay has been well worth the wait, and I am *so* glad this film looks to be 100% avant garde art house faire. (I can just imagine how sucky it'd be under the usual children's book adaption directors...the monsters would've been all cgi, the look garishly appauling...even Tim Burton woulda screwed it up)
Tell me about it. All this sudden interest in making all these films based on kid's books has been very disappointing to say the least. We either got low budget Walden Media crap like "How to Eat Fried Worms," or some big budget blowout based on a 20 page picture book that adds stuff that needn't be added, and that actually takes away from the story. I saw the preview for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and I was mortified! I actually shouted, "Have you even READ the book?" in the theater. They explained something that needn't have been explained, thus ruining the magic of the book (see, it was all a kind hearted mad scientist... something we clearly didn't steal from Igor or Monsters Vs Aliens).

But this film looks like it has heart. We'll actually see what makes Max tick, we have these monsters become warm, furry beings (something Henson has been doing since Jim first cut up his Ma's old coat)... and we have a very simplistic, but not cheap look to the film. Indeed, I actually want to see this. I just hope the changes that kept this movie a year late won't screw up any of the artistic vision.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I saw the trailer, and assumed it was CGI, but was totally pleased to see it's wonderful JHC puppets. It's so beautiful. And doesn't that look just a bit like Doglion's shadow in the opening of the trailer? Hehe.
Actually, Wild Things author Maurice Sendak was friends with Jim Henson, and I always suspected there was some cross-influence in their work, especially Jim being inspired by Where The Wild Things Are.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Tell me about it. All this sudden interest in making all these films based on kid's books has been very disappointing to say the least. We either got low budget Walden Media crap like "How to Eat Fried Worms," or some big budget blowout based on a 20 page picture book that adds stuff that needn't be added, and that actually takes away from the story. I saw the preview for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and I was mortified! I actually shouted, "Have you even READ the book?" in the theater. They explained something that needn't have been explained, thus ruining the magic of the book (see, it was all a kind hearted mad scientist... something we clearly didn't steal from Igor or Monsters Vs Aliens).

But this film looks like it has heart. We'll actually see what makes Max tick, we have these monsters become warm, furry beings (something Henson has been doing since Jim first cut up his Ma's old coat)... and we have a very simplistic, but not cheap look to the film. Indeed, I actually want to see this. I just hope the changes that kept this movie a year late won't screw up any of the artistic vision.
I was just about to say that. And though I am very excited for the film, I hope they kept true to the book (but we all know the book is NOT a hour long movie) I also am a bit afraid it will make me change my look on the book. I grew up on the book, it was my fav in the whole world. I have so many childhood memories of it and its magic. I guess Im just a little afraid to let that change.

Also I wonder how it will change how future little kids view the book since its been so popular for so many years.

I just bought this book for a friends kid last week actually :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course, let's not forget that few movies based on books are actually dead on true to the original. Jurassic Park and The Shining are classic examples. I see the same sweetness of the book in this movie's veins. Not some crass, loud, cheap laughs so the dad that reluctantly had to take their kids can feel he got his moneys worth, because he'd rather see the action hero movie and pretend he's said action hero because he's stuck in a dead end job because he married his high school sweetheart too early and had too many kids, and she let herself go.

Is it true there was an AIDS joke in Cat in the Hat? Crass, man.

But this film seems to be a study of Sam's character. Why he became terrible, why he got sent to his room without his dinner... something with a true message to it, and not just a meaningless after thought wedged in.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think the body's are suits, but the heads are actually CG. It's a nice blend of the tow art forms if you ask me.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
OH MY GOODNESS! Ok, so I saw this trailer for the first time yesterday when my mom and I went to see "Earth". I have been wired ever since lol. I was watching the trailer and I was like "Dude! They look a little like Gorgs! They did amazing work on these... Henson had to have had a hand in this!" I didn't even know they were making this book into a movie, and now I'm super hyper about it. (I'm kind of obsessed with children's books, especially because I'm currently working on one of my own)

EDIT: Oh, and here's my take on the whole animatronic/suit/cg thing: I believe they are almost completely suits with robotics built in to certain parts like the mouth, and only a few parts (mostly the eyes, sometimes the mouth) done in cg. That's how I've seen other studios do it, and is usually the most realistic/logical and beneficial. You get all the movement a human can make (despite being in a large suit) such as carrying the boy, swinging their arms, jumping, etc, plus realistic mouth movement through a remote-control operated headpiece, and realistic looking eyes through cg.