Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I have some info about Mr. Steve Whitmire and him performing Kermit The Frog. It's not much and it's very much through the grapevine, but here goes....

As today is my birthday I get a personal message from a friend on Facebook, here's how it reads...

"Here's a Happy Birthday for you...My friend is working on the Muppets...I asked him about Steve. He said,
"Steve is still Kermit. We had him here yesterday."

Take that as you will, but it's something. I'm trying to get more info as we speak. Or type.
Ah the first ray of hope!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I have some info about Mr. Steve Whitmire and him performing Kermit The Frog. It's not much and it's very much through the grapevine, but here goes....

As today is my birthday I get a personal message from a friend on Facebook, here's how it reads...

"Here's a Happy Birthday for you...My friend is working on the Muppets...I asked him about Steve. He said,

Take that as you will, but it's something. I'm trying to get more info as we speak. Or type.
Just as StarrFilter's post was taken with a grain of salt, so must this one be. Don't jump the gun too soon, gang.

However... this does sound like a more plausible and attractive answer to the question in... question. :coy: And if this were a sports game, I'd be pulling for this post's team. :shifty:

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
A message for you all, SSLFan

What kills me is everyone is judging him based on this one post, yet you have not gotten to even know the guy as a person.
I know slander when I see it, and it doesn’t make it any less outrageous that it’s being passed on by a “good guy.” I don’t care who posts stuff like this, it’s about what he posted.

And since SSL is in close ties with SW, a company Steve Whitmire work(ed) for, it is possible to obtain such information.
Again, take a moment to appreciate the difference between information and opinion.

Fact: "I heard someone gossiping about Steve."
Opinion: "This gossip I heard about Steve is all true!"

Another Fact: It's not a good idea to repeat gossip about the Muppet performers on a Muppet fan forum.
Another Opinion: People who defend that gossip are self-serving finks.

Look, I’m not for a second disputing that it’s possible StarrFilter heard this gossip, I’m disputing (a) whether there’s any actual truth to it, and (b) whether it’s appropriate to post unsubstantiated hearsay in a public forum.

FYI genious, I wasn't referring to you directly. I clearly said YOU'VE ALL, which means the general public, not just you.
Let me see if I’ve got this clear: Your post was addressed to me and all of your comments were in specific response to quotes from me. But when you said “you’ve all” you meant “the general public, not just Kynan;” and when you said “not just Kynan” you meant “the general public, including Kynan, except if later Kynan calls me on it, in which case I mean not including Kynan.”

And the reason I only mentioned you [was] your post was … the perfect example of the point I was trying to make.
You're a smarter man than me if you can use a single message from an individual as the perfect example of “ganging up”.

"What I think is really fascinating is how you feel the need to defend a pseudonymous forum user for propagating negative gossip about a Muppeteer"

That's right...and I will CONTINUE to defend him. He's a cool guy & a good friend of mine around the forums
Defend him as a person all you like. His cool-guy-ness is not at issue here. It’s about the specific comment that you’re defending him for.

Your entire defence boils down to this: StarrFilter has the right to say anything he wants about Steve Whitmire because he’s a cool guy and a friend of yours.

You've all been saying these past weeks "Someone has to say something", "I hope we know what's happening with Steve", etc., and yet when someone finally posts something you all complain & get out the pitchforks and say "That's not true!".

Oh...before I go on, that last sentence was not aimed directly at you.
Then don’t include me in it!

And as far as me not caring about the guys reputation blah blah blah ... Saying that I don't care is an insult to me as a fan.
By your own admission, you only joined this discussion to defend StarrFilter’s right to smear Steve. And until the message I'm responding to, you hadn’t said anything at all to defend Mr Whitmire. If those are your priorities, it’s quite logical to point out that you obviously cared more about looking after your pal.

Of course, by your standards, it isn’t fair of me to judge the quality of your arguments based merely on the content of your arguments. If I was a “friend of yours on the forums,” then I’d know that you’re “a cool guy,” and I’d understand that what you write and post is no way to measure what you really think.

He wasn't trying to smear the guy's reputation. Most of everyone took offense when he quoted "diva" in his post, while when he was typing that, he probably didn't mean nothing by it.
If only there was some way for us readers to know what writers actually meant as they typed their words. I guess until someone invents a better system, we’ll just have to go by the meaning of the words they choose to type.

You all act like he commited murder. Give him a break.
Or to put it another way: Nobody is acting like he committed murder. Including, and most especially, the person you’re addressing, who is me. You all are getting your pronouns mixed up.

Everyone is judging him off of one post.
No. “Everyone” is judging that one post he wrote.

When it boils down to it, yes. I will continue to believe Starr, however, will believe it more when (if) he ever confirms the source, though I doubt he ever will with all this negative feedback.
Now the truth is not only up for vote, it’s also available on a sliding scale!

Shorter SSLFan:

StarrFilter’s gossip is 100% true now, and it’ll be even TRUER when he backs it up with facts, which he won’t, because all you mean people asked for verification, and gossip doesn’t have to be true if it’s being spread with the very best of intentions, which I assume it is, because only a stand-up guy would call Steve Whitmire a “diva.” PS. On an unrelated note, I’d love to hear salacious gossip about Carroll Spinney.

SSLF, you’re no “genious,” but you sure are fun to debate.

beaker

Reaction score

*feels slightly more relieved* :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just don't think Starrfilter's post was productive. It was the repeating of unkind gossip. Basically this guy is a person that nobody here personally knows citing a secondary source we don't know with the assumption this source knows what's going on in the situation. That's terrible behavior any way you look at it.

I hope this new "good news" info about Steve is accurate, but still, it's secondary-sourced. At least it's kind and hopeful and doesn't resort to name-calling. I think that's what offended me the most.
:sympathy:

unclematt

Reaction score
I haven't been in this thread for a while but I can see it got a bit heated. Let'ds just all remember to respect each othera nd each other's opinions.

How many people have signed the Steve petition? Just curious

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I haven't been in this thread for a while but I can see it got a bit heated. Let'ds just all remember to respect each othera nd each other's opinions.

How many people have signed the Steve petition? Just curious
As of this second... 115.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not think that I would fit in around here. For one thing, I try to be an optimistic Muppet fan, I am well aware that the Muppets are not the same as they once where when Jim was around, but I have stuck by them and have have enjoyed their recent projects. Its been a rough road, but it is clear that they are trying. In recent years, I think Disney has gotten on the right track.

The second thing is, I am also a Disney fan. So clearly, I would not fit in well here.

On the contrary Muppetfan55, i think you'll fit in around here just peachy keen.

I mean for one thing in your just-barely-started-posting-haven't-had-a-chance-for-anyone-to-bake-a-cake-yet history, you've already given us a lot of hope and may have provided a clue to what's been a very perplexing, emotionally draining mystery. If you're able to accomlish something like that in one day, i wonder what other ways you might brighten things up if you were here for a year!

Optimistic Muppet fans are more than welcome. We're all a mix of different types with different outlooks who manage to get along in the end though it's not always easy (remind you of a certain group of fuzzballs we all know?). We have optimists, pessimists, and realists (how do you tell the difference? An optimist looks at the water in the glass and says its half-full - a pessimist looks at the water and calls the glass half-empty. A realist looks at the water, calls the waiter and points out "I ordered the soda")

Your above statement is actually mirrored by several here - that it's been a rough ride, but The Muppets have seemed like they're finally going in a great direction many of us have waited for for a long time.

Don't worry about being a Disney fan either. It's allowed. We have Disney lovers, Disney haters, Disney could-care-less-one-way-or-the-other'ers. In all truthfulness a lot of the times when people have misgivings about Disney, it's more about how the company has a corporate history of shrewdness. Two of the most feared words in the English language are "Disney lawyers". A lot of us were horrified or scared when Disney bought the Muppets and were worried that they'd really treat them poorly or take away a lot of the things that Jim Henson made them. This whole missing-Steve thing has ressurected a lot of those fears.

However, as someone like you who was at D23 should well know, Disney has won a lot of us over in terms of how they're handling the Muppets overall. Many of us ARE optimistic about how Disney is working to make 2010 the "year of the Muppets" (and again Steve being MIA kind of made our record player skip a groove because of concern that all those plans may not mean much if Steve's not there at the head of the parade as our frog prince). After three tries, i personally feel Ms. Breier is an excellent head of Muppets Studio (though i don't agree with EVERYTHING she's done - i'm happy she's there).

So give it a chance. The second day of school's always easier than the first since there's not so much sensory overload.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
In all truthfulness a lot of the times when people have misgivings about Disney, it's more about how the company has a corporate history of shrewdness.
Yeah. That's understandable.

Luckily, for Disney fans, Micheal Eisner is gone. And I think that a lot of the shrewdness was built under his watch.

Generally speaking, the Walt Disney Company has been a lot better since Eisner left and Bob Iger took over.

Iger is a lot more candid about things. Plus, since John Lasseter became the chief creative officer at Disney Animation, the most recent films have been better, with emphasis on story and emotion--the animation studio has now become more creative driven, rather than executive driven.

Anyway enough of that, (because this thread should stay on track) getting back to the Muppets, yes, I'd say that most recently, Disney has finally gotten a good handle on the Muppets, they seem to be headed in the right direction.

As for this Steve MIA thing, I do think that writing letters to Disney is a good idea. If this is really is about contract negotiations (or any reason), they need to know that Steve is an important asset and should not be given the brush off. :smile:

Still, I will probably not be coming back to this thread for a while. (if at all).
Things have gotten WAY too heated and out of control for my tastes. I have had way too many bad experiences with message boards in the past and I will have no part in any mud slinging or arguing in circles.

~Take care guys. (and play nice. :wink: )

BTW dwmckim, I did get that Fraggle reference. Good one! :excited:

muppetperson

Reaction score
Enough!

I know slander when I see it, and it doesn’t make it any less outrageous that it’s being passed on by a “good guy.” I don’t care who posts stuff like this, it’s about what he posted.

Again, take a moment to appreciate the difference between information and opinion.

Fact: "I heard someone gossiping about Steve."
Opinion: "This gossip I heard about Steve is all true!"

Another Fact: It's not a good idea to repeat gossip about the Muppet performers on a Muppet fan forum.
Another Opinion: People who defend that gossip are self-serving finks.

Look, I’m not for a second disputing that it’s possible StarrFilter heard this gossip, I’m disputing (a) whether there’s any actual truth to it, and (b) whether it’s appropriate to post unsubstantiated hearsay in a public forum.

Let me see if I’ve got this clear: Your post was addressed to me and all of your comments were in specific response to quotes from me. But when you said “you’ve all” you meant “the general public, not just Kynan;” and when you said “not just Kynan” you meant “the general public, including Kynan, except if later Kynan calls me on it, in which case I mean not including Kynan.”

You're a smarter man than me if you can use a single message from an individual as the perfect example of “ganging up”.

Defend him as a person all you like. His cool-guy-ness is not at issue here. It’s about the specific comment that you’re defending him for.

Your entire defence boils down to this: StarrFilter has the right to say anything he wants about Steve Whitmire because he’s a cool guy and a friend of yours.

Then don’t include me in it!

By your own admission, you only joined this discussion to defend StarrFilter’s right to smear Steve. And until the message I'm responding to, you hadn’t said anything at all to defend Mr Whitmire. If those are your priorities, it’s quite logical to point out that you obviously cared more about looking after your pal.

Of course, by your standards, it isn’t fair of me to judge the quality of your arguments based merely on the content of your arguments. If I was a “friend of yours on the forums,u201D then I’d know that you’re “a cool guy,u201D and I’d understand that what you write and post is no way to measure what you really think.

If only there was some way for us readers to know what writers actually meant as they typed their words. I guess until someone invents a better system, we’ll just have to go by the meaning of the words they choose to type.

Or to put it another way: Nobody is acting like he committed murder. Including, and most especially, the person you’re addressing, who is me. You all are getting your pronouns mixed up.

No. “Everyone” is judging that one post he wrote.

Now the truth is not only up for vote, it’s also available on a sliding scale!

Shorter SSLFan:

StarrFilter’s gossip is 100% true now, and it’ll be even TRUER when he backs it up with facts, which he won’t, because all you mean people asked for verification, and gossip doesn’t have to be true if it’s being spread with the very best of intentions, which I assume it is, because only a stand-up guy would call Steve Whitmire a “diva.” PS. On an unrelated note, I’d love to hear salacious gossip about Carroll Spinney.

SSLF, you’re no “genious,u201D but you sure are fun to debate.
OK, you have made your points.You think it is slander, others dont.Please do not keep arguing and raising counter replies.That is what causes "fights".You have voiced your opinions/concerns, now let others have there say without jumping back.Everybody is intitled to opinions, but please move on if you dont necessarily agree.Thanks.This is a Forum, not a Debate venue!

Status
Not open for further replies.