What's your favorite baseball team?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Analyzing the current likely World Series teams

Let's go Mets! Heh heh, I'm not a Met fan. I'm a fan of the other New York team, the Yankees. But I'd love to see another subway series. I think the Mets have the talent to get in the playoffs. But those St. Louis Cardinals look like the most likely to win the championship. Let's see; Oakland, Houston, and Atlanta are all tough but usually choke in the playoffs. The Redsox are strong but winning too many hgh scoring games (eg. 10-9, 8-7). With bad pitching like that I think the Bosox have very little chance of repeating this year. The Whitesox have solid pitching but weak hitting and are starting to come back down to earth. Florida is very good but just can't seem to get any consistency going. But if they do make the playoffs, watch out. They don't choke. Angels are decent but not quite the best. Cleveland is in it too, playing very well. But the Yanks are still better.
So the way I see it now as we enter the crucial final month of the regular season is the Yankees vs. the Cardinals in the World Series. But hoping the Mets can upset the Cards and give us a Yanks-Mets Series once again! (since 2000's subway series).

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Sorry Ziffel, but I'm pulling for the Red Sox in the East and the Indians for the Wild Card. I don't want to see you're Yankees playing any October games this year. I'm sick enough about my Royals' horrid season, my stomach couldn't bear to see the Yanks in the playoffs again. If the Yankees are kept out of it, I'll just be happy to watch whoever makes it all the way. I'd pull for the Padres, though I don't see them making it past the first round, so after that it'd be either Houston (if they make it) or Boston (just because they're a fun team to watch).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Heeheehee you would probably like the sentiment one guy has, Docnzhoss. He says he's a fan of whoever plays the Yankees. So when the Yankees play the WhiteSox he's a Sox fan, when they play the Twins he's a Twins fan, etc.
And I thought about you when the Royals had their 19 game losing streak recently. The local Phillies fans were hoping the Royals would keep losing because the Phillies have the all time consecutive games lost record at 23 in 1961. They were hoping Kansas City would take away that blemish. :smile:

And since I've made my last post the other night, the Mets have lost twice to the Phillies. :frown:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Hey Skeeter Muppet--

I'm a Cubs fan too, been one all my life. I can't help but ROTFL at the Yankees fans who think their team will win zee division. Red Sox in that division, Tribe in Wild Card, and Cubs NL Central! Finally, the ******* Cardinals don't win the ******* division!

BJ

PS Please pardon my French.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I used to love watching "This Week in Baseball" each week. Especially when Mel Allen did it. His voice was unique and great to listen to and his heart for the game came through loud and clear. Loved his famous. "How about that!". The show had great footage of the top errors and bloopers of the previous week and then followed with the best amazing dazzling plays of the week.
Loved the TWIB notes segment, too. And the opening theme music was cool. Even better was the awesome closing music. I'd love to hear that again. I remember they had the Mets at the end jumping up and down after winning the '86 Series and then later had Kirk Gibson's dramatic pinch hit '88 game winning World Series homer - truly one of the best moments ever in sports.
Any other baseball fans loved and appreciated this show?

Ziffel

Reaction score
I see pitching for the NY Mets in the bottom of the ninth inning right now is a guy with this name . Hooper Hooper! Just thought I'd do this for fun. :smile:
He's a pretty good pitcher too (must be at over $5 million a year salary, eh!)

By the way, Muppets Rule if you see this post I wanted to ask you: Being that you are a lifelong Brewers fan, the other day at work we were all stumped by someone who asked, "Past or present can you name any Milwaukee Brewers pitchers?" I know of Ben Sheets currently. Couldn't think of any past ones. I looked online and recognized a few names from the past, like Moose Haas and Teddy Higuera. But I didn't really see any big names. Would you say the Brew Crew has ever had a pitcher that would be considered an ace? (along the lines of a Steve Carlton, Ron Guidry, Pedro Martinez, Tom Seaver, etc.) If not, no wonder they haven't had a WS title yet, eh? :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
Hey Skeeter Muppet--
I can't help but ROTFL at the Yankees fans who think their team will win zee division. Red Sox in that division, Tribe in Wild Card, and Cubs NL Central!
Well us Yankee fans are the ones with the last laugh, my friend. EIGHT straight division titles now!!
So it's the Yankees-Angels, Redsox-WhiteSox, Cardinals-Padres, and Astros-Braves. I pick the Yanks, WhiteSox, Cards, and Astros to win round one. Then the Yankees and Cardinals in the World Series. And I have to pick the Cards to win it all. But I'll be pulling for those awesome Yanks to bring home another title! :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well I was right about 3 of those four picks. But the one I was wrong about was my Yankees. :cry: Well, I'll say the Cardinals and White Sox in the Series now with the Cards winning. But the Angels are tough so we'll see.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
RAAAARRRGGHHH!!!! The Yanks lost to the Angels! *sob* No World series for us again this year!!!! :cry: :mad: :grouchy: