What's next for the Muppets?

Angelo Thomas

Reaction score
In an effort to steer some of the conversation away from the recasting of Kermit the Frog and to keep things movin' right along, I wrote an opinion piece for Rotoscopers.com about my thoughts on the future of the Muppets at Disney, and I thought I'd share it here to see what everyone thinks. http://www.rotoscopers.com/2017/07/17/whats-next-for-the-muppets/

(If there's a better place for this thread, let me know or feel free to move it if you're an admin here.)

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I would love to see either a Streaming TV Show or movie or a theatrical film with the film crew who brought us Muppets 2011 and Muppets Most Wanted!

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Honestly I hate to be the downer, but I don't see any signs yet of future plans for The Muppets.

We're in another dry spot again and we'll probably have to wait for the next Jason Segal to come along.

I do want them to surprise me though.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I agree but however after the Muppets 2015 got canned we all thought that it was the end of projects for a while. We've had things at Disney world and the Hollywood bowl. But I expect that after the Muppet babies return we will be seeing less of the Muppets on tv and film. But we never know what Disney is planning
Honestly I hate to be the downer, but I don't see any signs yet of future plans for The Muppets.

We're in another dry spot again and we'll probably have to wait for the next Jason Segal to come along.

I do want them to surprise me though.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I even wonder if the puppeteers will be involved in the new MB series or if they'll have different VAs voicing the characters like they did in the cartoon. Most of the original MB cast is still around (save for Barbara Billingsly) so it's possible Frank, Russi, Greg, etc. could reprise their roles. We'll see.

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
Maybe a Netflix series? That's possible....
Considering that Disney is going to soon be launching its own streaming service as a rival to Netflix, I doubt they'd do a Netflix series. More likely, they will wait until their own Disney streaming service is launched, and then produce a muppet series (or whatever) exclusively for that.

jobi71

Reaction score
My wish is that the Muppets focus on quality and not quantity. I have long thought one of the reasons the recent show was not a success was that it was rushed into production. The pitch reel was so good and executives so impressed that the green lit the show immediately. That's good. But I think they only had about 60-70% of the premise fleshed out. So they were learning as they went. Were there great bits and very good episodes? Yes. Miss Piggy buying the gift was a stand out for me as was the Mindy Kaling and Jack White episodes. I do wish the Muppets' apparent disdain for Tom Bergeron was a running gag though.

To that end I would like to see the Muppets continue with their youtube videos. Not just the thought of the week, but also longer ones like Kodachrome and Flowers on the Wall.

I would love it if they developed a new holiday special. With Deadly becoming a core character (another great aspect of the new show) why not a Halloween special? Imagine a one hour Halloween special hosted/narrated by Uncle Deadly. The structure could be similar to The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horrors. Three shortish stories (either original or spoofs of classics - Dracula, The Mummy etc). They could possibly fit a guest star into each of the stories. The main cast of Muppets could be spread among the stories so they would not need to fit everybody into one. They could round out the hour with some cut a ways like The Chef making something with pumpkin spice or people trick-or-treating at Bobo's house. A song with the Electric Mayhem or such. Plus plenty of roles for the monsters and frackles. Plus I bet many a character would be eaten by the end of each story. I know Jim would approve of that part of the pitch.