What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been thinking about two things in relation to Muppets From Space lately (I also notice that in the last few months I made the decision to use italics for titles instead of underlining them... huh). Thought that, rather than starting something new, I'd post 'em here for anyone interested.

The first is this. I read the interviews on The AV Club pretty regularly, and this one with Jeffrey Tambor has a great little bit that I think people would really like to know about:

"Billy Barretta"... that just makes me smile :big_grin:

The other thing was this. I'm not sure how common this knowledge is, but I was reminded by a friend the other day of a song written for Muppets From Space by my favorite band of all-time, Ween:

Obviously, they didn't use it, but I sure wish they had. Ween normally does some, heh, rather inappropriate songs, but this is a really lovely tune. I first discovered this on Steve Swanson's MuppetCast.

(Interestingly, Jim James, who is the frontman of my other favorite band, My Morning Jacket, wrote the first draft of "Man or Muppet," and two recent MMJ songs, "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)" and "Outta My System" were originally written for the Electric Mayhem to perform in the movie!)
Thanks for sharing that. There was so much potential that I wish had made it into the film. I purchased the Blu-ray for my collection and watched it again recently. There are some golden moments, but the experience left me kind of cold. The most remarkable thing that few people mention is the outright estrangement of Kermit and Miss Piggy. I know the film wasn't about them, but they appeared as if they couldn't care less about each other.

Performances from the Electric Mayhem have been missing in the last 4 films. Let's hope the recent Kimmel appearance is a nod to their importance in the future of the Muppets.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Performances from the Electric Mayhem have been missing in the last 4 films. Let's hope the recent Kimmel appearance is a nod to their importance in the future of the Muppets.
Much as I loved the use of "We Built This City," that was the PERFECT place for a new Electric Mayhem song. My roommate, a huge fan of the band, got so excited the second Dr. Teeth went "Well all riiiight!" but then just hit play on the boombox.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Much as I loved the use of "We Built This City," that was the PERFECT place for a new Electric Mayhem song. My roommate, a huge fan of the band, got so excited the second Dr. Teeth went "Well all riiiight!" but then just hit play on the boombox.
Many people felt that they weren't ready for actually performing together at that point in the film, but they could have at least faded out the original vocal tracks and had the Muppets karaoke it. The "We Built This City" portion reminded me of the "Brick House" misstep in MFS. The Muppets are good singers. They can do it on their own. :coy:

I still think they should have loaded up the end credits with more Muppety goodness that didn't fit into the picture itself. A Mayhem number and Animal telling people to go home would have been the perfect punctuation to end the experience. :cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The most remarkable thing that few people mention is the outright estrangement of Kermit and Miss Piggy. I know the film wasn't about them, but they appeared as if they couldn't care less about each other.
Even in films like MCC and MTI, Kermit and Piggy have shared some tender moments. The only 2 movie projects that didn't were MFS and MWOZ, but that one at least has conceptual problems to blame.

All I have to ask is WHY wasn't there even a scene where the Muppets were fighting over what to watch on television, and Kermit breaks through the chaos, calmly, and says "We have to support Piggy and watch her show." Kermit almost seems to say, "Ah, Piggy's little skit is on... I'm going to go downstairs and play Atari. Wake me up if something good happens." They're just... there. They could have done the movie entirely without Fozzie, Animal, or Kermit, and Piggy would only serve as host of that TV program. Gonzo has some great moments, as does Jeff and Bobo, Rizzo, VanNeuter, and Pepe... but Kermit's main laugh is quoting a Get Smart line, and it really feels he needed to have more closer heart to hearts with Gonzo.

Many people felt that they weren't ready for actually performing together at that point in the film, but they could have at least faded out the original vocal tracks and had the Muppets karaoke it. The "We Built This City" portion reminded me of the "Brick House" misstep in MFS. The Muppets are good singers. They can do it on their own. :coy:
I see what you mean, but the two actually have different motives behind them. Brick House is some establishing shot (and sadly, one of the best scenes in the movie), but We Built This City is one of the many references to 1980's movies they put in the film. The old "cleaning stuff up" montage. They probably could have used "Put One Foot in Front of the Other," but the cheese factor of the song (and the building part) really made the scene work.

Still, I really feel there should have been an Electric Mayhem number, but the film had SO much shoved into it that there wouldn't have been room. Heck, there was barely room for important plot points... but a line in a song is still more than they had since MTM. The next movie, however, should have an Electric Mayhem song in there. Even if it's a cover.

Misskermie

Reaction score
IMO I think what threw fans off, was the fact that they classified Gonzo as an Alien, as opposed to keeping him as a whatever.

Also, they need to sing more.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
but Kermit's main laugh is quoting a Get Smart line, and it really feels he needed to have more closer heart to hearts with Gonzo.
What was the Get Smart line quoted?

Drtooth said:
Still, I really feel there should have been an Electric Mayhem number, but the film had SO much shoved into it that there wouldn't have been room. Heck, there was barely room for important plot points... but a line in a song is still more than they had since MTM. The next movie, however, should have an Electric Mayhem song in there. Even if it's a cover.
Maybe the next movie should feature The Electric Mayhem as the stars, with the other Muppets appearing throughout the film.

Space Muppet

Reaction score
After seeing the finished product, I was less than thrilled. But the movie did have some good points, I especially enjoyed the scenes with all the characters at the house & on the beach (I worked on the beach scenes). And everyone I talk to tells me they really enjoyed the film, but then again they might be trying to spare my feelings.

It was probably a mistake to make Gonzo the lead, just because everyone expects Kermit to fill that role.

Drtooth

Reaction score
IMO I think what threw fans off, was the fact that they classified Gonzo as an Alien, as opposed to keeping him as a whatever.
That, again, is the fault of the director. If they did the original script, they were to have been a race of actual aliens who were such big fans of Gonzo, they basically cosplayed as him. Gonzo was revealed to not be an alien after all. But that's one of many concepts ol' Tim Hill didn't like. That and he felt the Muppets didn't paint the house enough.

What was the Get Smart line quoted?
"Ah, the OLD Invisible Spray in the Rubber Duckie Trick."

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know where it was stated, but what was Travelling Matt's supposed cameo?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Maybe the next movie should feature The Electric Mayhem as the stars, with the other Muppets appearing throughout the film.
I know this might not work as a full-length movie, but I'd love so much a TV special that was all about the Electric Mayhem. I imagine it as a cross between This is Spinal Tap, A Hard Day's Night, and The Blues Brothers. One of those "if I were a Muppet writer" dreams.

Actually - no one says I can't just do it for fun... :cool:

(Oscarfan, the line from The Muppets in your signature is one of my favorites from the movie! I had no idea other people love it as much as I do, though I should've guessed! :excited:)