What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
No original songs, horrible characters, the muppets lacked any emotions(especially kermit), their was terrible back stories(the rats), Jeffrey tambor was in it, the jokes were cheesy, they have a million annoying relatives of gonzo running around, etc.

Reaction score
No original songs, horrible characters, the muppets lacked any emotions(especially kermit), their was terrible back stories(the rats), Jeffrey tambor was in it, the jokes were cheesy, they have a million annoying relatives of gonzo running around, etc.
I agree with you on most of your points, but I think there were some redeeming qualities of the film, too. Certainly, the movie wasn't the best it could have been, but there were some hilarious scenes and pretty awesome lines.
While it was disappointing that some of the main cast didn't really seem to have a big presence in the film, I think it's nice to have a film centered around Gonzo, especially since he's kind of taking a back seat in the newest films (especially in MMW). While I feel they could have done better on MFS, I wouldn't call it a horrible film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gonzo basically centered on the first three films after Henson. If you can think of MFS as Gonzo's movie, it does seem to view a little better. He was in top form in that film, as was Pepe and Rizzo... just everyone else (well... except for all the new characters used) felt flat, Kermit especially.

I REALLY hope there's a way Joey or someone could leak the working script to see where the director ruined it.

Reaction score
Gonzo basically centered on the first three films after Henson. If you can think of MFS as Gonzo's movie, it does seem to view a little better. He was in top form in that film, as was Pepe and Rizzo... just everyone else (well... except for all the new characters used) felt flat, Kermit especially.

I REALLY hope there's a way Joey or someone could leak the working script to see where the director ruined it.
Exactly- and that be awesome to see where it could have gone and what they were trying to work out in the script. I completely agree.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't think that Muppets from Space is that bad at all! It's the weakest of the eight theatrical movies certainly, but it sure is fun!

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Probably a good place to post this here. Last week, I downloaded and listened to the episode of the podcast A Bit Of A Chat with Ken Plume that had Kirk R. Thatcher on it. It's really good and actually a rather candid interview, and around the beginning, Kirk talks about the problems that happened with MFS (that particular discussion starts at about 12:50 in). Really interesting stuff and would definitely recommend a listen!!

I personally like the film. Yes, there are flaws and it is probably the weakest of the theatrical movies, but I still enjoy watching it. One of the things I quite like about it is how different it is from the other movies - it's Gonzo's story and he's the star! No other Muppet movie before or since has been like that! I also pretty much love the heck out of any scene with Gonzo and Rizzo, and I also loved the Muppet Boarding House and how they mixed in the classic Muppet Show characters with the newer (at the time) Muppets Tonight! characters. It's just a real shame we didn't see more of that and more scenes in the Muppet Boarding House IMO.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found a youtube video interview with kermit and piggy for MFS, take a look.

Wow, even the interviewer thought Piggy would use the mind mist on Kermit :smile:.