What made you think today?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are people like that in every family. For the most part my family avoids that, except when politics come up.
Then the show starts.
Two aunts in particular worshipped the ground Obama walked on. They used to gush over how well he spoke, and because he’s left-handed, he must be a genius!
Things used to be worse when my dad was alive. After a few drinks he’d get belligerent, argumentative, and start telling people where they can go.
Back in the early 2000s I used to avoid family get-togethers. It’s a little better now. My cousin’s wife is an absolute sweetheart, and I do look forward to seeing her, and watching their kids growing up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A tweet I saw somebody post earlier today about when the kids of today are grown up, they'll never know what a rare treat it is to actually come into possesion of physical animation cels that were actually used in the production of animated shows or features that they're growing up with now, because it's all digital, and physical production materials like cels, or in some cases even storyboard pages and the like are pretty much no longer in use.

Even though I really miss traditional hand-drawn animation purely from a quality and asthetic perspective, I've never even considered this - I know there are people out there who actually do collect things like this; I have a lady friend who owns a lot of animation cels, model sheets, design boards, and other material from past iterations of The Chipmunks, and she's really proud to have them. But yeah, if you're a collector, then this would really be a draw back.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly this has been in the back of my mind for a long while now.

One of my New Years goals is to honestly cut back on cannabis. Cause honestly since moving into my current apartment, which I will be done with in two weeks, I have been getting stoned so much more to the point that I feel like it’s controlled my life, and sure the feeling of being high is a nice sensation, but honestly I just haven’t felt happy anymore buying so much.

It’s my choice to get baked and purchase it obviously. But part of this also comes from the stress of literally just living here having to deal with the sounds of trucks backing up and being able to make out every small detail from my neighbors in every unit surrounding my own. It’s gotten to the point to even tolerate physically living in here I have to be stoned. And it’s resulted in some serious withdrawals.

Like once I move in to my new place, I just want to mostly purchase cannabis for my insomnia as I typically do, but also just purchase one strain I know I can make last for a good couple months so I’m not just binging through it within a week.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly, this month has reminded me why I always prefered to expect the worst to happen and then happily be proven wrong as opposed to getting my hopes up and having to deal with disappointment, because that's exact what this month has been, a tremendous disappointment. I was so looking forward to a wonderful Christmas season this year, and I had been in the mood for such since back in the fall - the anticipation just kept increasing with each passing week as we got closer and closer to December . . . and then this happens: warm, muggy, springline conditions that feel nothing like Christmas, and it has absolutely killed the festive mood was so looking forward to. I'm so put out and disappointed and I've just been in a bad mood all weekend. Also doesn't help that December is usually one of my favorite months, so this really bites.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The animation cel market was huge back in the 90s. Art galleries sprung up overnight, and the Disney and Warner Brothers stores had sections just for cels.
It was a collector’s market, but the prices were beyond the means of most people. Some of the most sought-after pieces cost tens of thousands of dollars. I did manage to get one sericel (it was #35 in a production of 500), the lower numbers were worth a little more.

Here’s the deal with you and low/no expectations, and why you’ll always get the short end of the stick.
If you’re really excited about the holidays, it shouldn’t come as a bummer just because the temperature gets warm. Because now you’re putting conditions on your expectations. I will be happy ONLY IF the temperature stays below 40. If not, all bets are off, my conditions weren’t met, so now Christmas will suck.

Living like that, not getting your hopes up, expecting or settling for the worst, from now on your life will only be mediocre at best.
Life will give you what you expect.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean as a New Englander I personally do like to have snowy, or at least cold, weather during winter time. And even in an area where we get some intense snow storms it’s not always the case. Unfortunately the weather is unpredictable and anything can happen. You just gotta learn to make the best of it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, my sister and her family have been living in Nashville for 25 years now. It was 70 degrees on Christmas Day, but they loved it. Before that, they lived for a year in Michigan and nearly froze to death, and it wasn’t unusual to get four feet of snow at a drop. After that, they vowed never again.
Christmas 1984 it was 75 degrees up here. My brother and I were driving in his car wearing t shirts and the top down. It was a nice change from the frigid winters we usually get.

So Snowthy is bummed Christmas was warm, while a hundred miles west my sister’s family was rejoicing at their good fortune.
One man’s curse is another man’s blessing.
snowthy, my sister’s old house is vacant right now. All you have to do is sign the lease and move yourself in. What are you waiting for?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean at most I’d probably just be bummed, but in the end there’s nothing you can do regarding mother nature’s weather.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I may be thinking too deeply into this, but seeing how kids today feel as though a typical cartoon show has run its course by the time it reaches its third season, when back in my day, most cartoon shows lasted an average of four seasons, and if it got renewed beyond that, it was a legit excitement . . . but, in a way, I think maybe I know an underlying reason for this mentality. . . .

Back then, cartoon seasons were typically 13 episodes, so by the time they finished their standard four-season runs, that'd be 52 episodes . . . nowadays, cartoon seasons are now 26 episodes, so after just two seasons, they've already reached 52 episodes, which used to be a typical standard run . . . so maybe a cartoon show nowadays may feel a little stale and tired after just two seasons after all.