What in the world is up with SOPA??

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
I've been on Instagram and the big thing is SOPA is wanting to stop
~Song Covers
~Fan Fics
~Fan Art
~Fan Pages
I'm just wondering if SOPA gets their way what will happen to muppet central??

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even if it's passed it will be hard to enforce. Congress creates laws with no teeth all the time. We really need to stop voting for these people, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jeez.

Come on.

This is why "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that skimmed through something" internet journalism is making everyone dumb and angry. It's no different from lame tin foil hat conspiracy theories that polarize our political system.

SOPA is not happening. It didn't pass the first time because it was crudely thrown together, vague legislation that would have been impossible to enforce or even enact on. It hasn't resurfaced, and only panicky idiots who read e-mail articles with like 50 forwards in them (who are DARN lucky not to get a virus from said e-mail by the way) believe anything's going to happen this time.

Secondly... the entertainment industry (with certain weird examples... i.e. Archie Comics) could give a rat's fez if you have fan fics and fan arts. As long as you don't sell them, they couldn't care less. The only thing they care about is the low quality taped off TV/captured from an iPhone from a movie theater (with terrible sound and ambiance) videos that aren't really taking away money, as the kind of internet users that torrent wouldn't exactly buy a legal alternative if they paid them. Essentially punishing an audience that they wouldn't have had in the first place.

And if that means that those crappy AMV's of clumsily created cartoon couples and Pooh's Adventures in unrelated movie that he shouldn't been their YT videos get taken down, I'm almost fine with having to go to a friend's house to watch Regular Show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well they must care about fan fics a little bit, didn't fanfiction.net have to remove their fanfics about real people?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well they must care about fan fics a little bit, didn't fanfiction.net have to remove their fanfics about real people?
You know, that probably could cross the line into libel if seen by idiots or the wrong sources. Making stuff up about real people, even if its obviously a story, can be really iffy and they are probably just covering their bases so morons don't find the stories and think its true.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not a patron of Fan Fiction. All I know is that you can't use Archie ones, due to the company's hyper litigious protection of the characters' purity, and Anne Rice for some reason I don't know or care about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know if FFN removes fanfics about real people or not, but I AM aware that many (sane) fans feel that to do fanfics about real people kind of crosses the line a bit... I mean, suppose you were an obsessive fanboy or girl writing about a certain celebrity whose work you really like, do you think you'd REALLY want that celebrity to read smething like that?

The only big no-no I can think of regarding FFN is you can't write anything with really explicit and/or graphic material, which I guess isn't really strictly enforced - I've read some things on FFN that made me feel like I needed therapy after reading.

It's actually been a long time since I regularly lurked on FFN (I have been reading an updating ARTHUR story with the kids in high school, and for some reason, Arthur and Fern like each other), but it's kind of amazing some of the stuff that flies past their radar... but then again, I think I heard something within the last year or two that FFN was going to start cracking down harder on those fics that do have really explicit content in them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not saying all or most of Fan fiction is...uh... relationships, but a good number of them are. There are ones that are just insanely terrible and just obvious "I want to *&^% this fictitious character so bad" (which if someone that wasn't a teenage girl would write would be creepy and "call the police"-y). But the thing that REALLY grinds my gears, and I mentioned this on another thread...

Someone is writing essentially a "Pooh's Adventures of [completely unrelated movie]" type fan fiction, and it's basically taking a bunch of unrelated characters who don't even work together and dumping them into movies that are perfectly fine without them. Almost as if to say "I love these characters so much that I want them to exist together TERRIBLY!" There's a difference between a crossover and a collage.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though I've done it artistically, I've always wanted to write a crossover fic of M*A*S*H and HOGAN'S HEROES, I just never have been able to find the right plot, or the right circumstances that would bring them together, since they take place in two different decades and two different wars.