What happened in this skit?

LittleChrissy

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the skit where a professor is teaching a class of muppets about trees, mainly by pointing to a picture of a tree? I remember that there was a skit like that, but I don't recall what exactly happened, since I was little, and I haven't seen it since. Also, what happens at the end of it? If anyone remembers, please tell me. Thanks in advance!

ssetta

Reaction score
Professor David was teaching the class. It was David dressed up as a professor. He does have a picture of a tree, and he says that all they're good for is leaning against, but kids in the class keep saying that they're good for many things, like hanging a swing from and for birds to live in. But David doesn't agree, he just says they're good for leaning against, so he leans against the picture of the tree, and it falls over.

Censored

Reaction score
LittleChrissy said:
Does anyone remember the skit where a professor is teaching a class of muppets about trees, mainly by pointing to a picture of a tree? I remember that there was a skit like that, but I don't recall what exactly happened, since I was little, and I haven't seen it since. Also, what happens at the end of it? If anyone remembers, please tell me. Thanks in advance!
The professor was played by Northern Calloway; he had a drawing of a tree on a stand in front of the class. He mentions that a tree is good for "leaning on" and says something else like it's good for providing shade. He then says, "And that is it. That is all a tree is good for." The muppets have various occupations such as farmer, carpenter, etc. and they describe how trees have had other uses for them. The professor conceded one by one that there is another use for a tree, but keeps trying to end the discussion. At the end, the professor reminds everyone that his original assertion of a tree being good for leaning on is correct. He demonstrates by leaning on the picture of the tree, knocking the stand over, and falling down.

rjschex

Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of that Electric Company "Without an S" sketch--where Rita Moreno leans upon the "S" wreath on the easel, knocking it over.