What do the Muppets mean to you?

Elisha

Reaction score
Like most of you, I have grown up with the Muppets... Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock (my fav), Labyrinth, the Dark Crystal, all the Muppet movies etc. Being someone who grew up getting picked on and feeling "different" than everyone else, I loved their messages of friendship and tolerance. Being musically inclined, I also LOVE how much music is infused into pretty much all things Muppets. I think that's one of the reasons that Fraggle Rock has a special place in my heart; because music is so central and integral to it. The Muppets can make me laugh, make me cry, and even as an adult make me think and challenge myself to be a better person. I love them for that and that's why I will always be a Muppet fan.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I am a so-called 90s baby and well, I had a pretty sucky childhood and I felt really alone but I watched video tapes of The Muppets and re-runs (which I didn't know were re-runs) of The Muppet Show on Nickelodeon amd it made me feel a heck of a whole lot less alone.

Miss Piggy is pretty much why I have a backbone and always stand up for myself! I didn't have a great picture of male or female representation but, Kermit and Miss Piggy helped with that and they even showed me that every one has flaws and that that's okay too.

In addition, The Muppets helped me to learn English (I spoke Spanish first) and I know I've shared that numerous times but, even now I process in Spanish and because I speak Spanish at home all day I tend to forget menial English words now and then but, really, The Muppets helped me to get a pretty good grasp of English and helped me to phrase things beautifully with their music and lyrics!

In fact, in my college intro letter, the quote that starts it off is: "Life's like a movie, write your own ending."

The Muppets have had such a big impact in my life and they will always be very special to me :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I know I'm double posting here but I don't care.

I changed my avatar last night and was thinking back to my childhood. I then recalled that I use to pretend that I had an imaginary friend...who just happened to be Ernie from Sesame Street. I would pretend and daydream for hours that Ernie and I would do all the things he always wanted to do that Bert would complain about. I would get so loud and nosey that my mom in the next room would sometimes think that there where really two young boys just having the time of there lives. Now unlike most kids who have imaginary friends because they are an only child. I had a younger brother who never really like the Muppets like I did and never really understood me for who I really was. Through out the years Ernie and Bert taught me that even though my brother and I didn't like the same things or understand each other all the time we could still get along and have fun.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
The Muppets mean a great deal to me. I got into them when I was about 12, and like a lot of preteen girls, was shy and unsure of myself (not just because people picked on me all the time, although I'm sure that didn't help). At a time in my life like that, being a fan of the Muppets helped me begin to see that it was okay to be quirky, and even a little weird, because that's what makes you stand out.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I think of what the Muppets mean to me, the first thing that came to my mind was a lyric from the song "Through the Years:"

"I can't remember when you weren't there. When I didn't care for anyone but you."
And I'm glad that I don't have to. :smile:

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
The Muppets to me represent the best in everyone. No Muppet is perfect at what they aspire to be. They're not particularly talented at anything, but they can still entertain you because they refuse to give up trying.

Just look at Fozzie Bear. He's a horrible comedian, but you love him anyway because he has so much heart and he is endlessly loyal. Piggy can't sing, but her confidence in herself keeps her on her feet. Scooter is reliable, but sometimes he can be a bit of a push over and Gonzo is......well, Gonzo!

Kermit may be a fantastic host and leader, but he still makes mistakes. This is what I love about these guys! They. Are. Not. Perfect! They have room to grow as people. They have holes in their personalities and characteristics and it is that above all else that makes them so real to all of us!

Am I right or am I right?

Janice+Floyd<3

Reaction score
They mean so much to me! I know they're just puppets and I've never met them but I think of them as my family and mentors when I have a bad day I turned to the muppets for motivation and encouragement. kermit always has a postive thing to say about anything. They've helped me when I had dealt with bullying in grade 4 and 5 and they're been there for me as I am fighting thro high school and anxiety and depression they're prob the only reason I'm able to smile through life. One day I wanna come face to face with all of then and hug then and kiss em and thank them for my amazing childhood and helping me have a postive attitude

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread, until your wonderful post Kylie. I think during the holidays the Muppets mean something special to me. It's a time of sharing and caring for one another, and that is kind of what the Muppets are about. I love al lot of the Christmas songs they have put out over the years, and they always seem to put a warm Christmas sprit in my heart every time I hear them.

Janice+Floyd<3

Reaction score
I feel the same way. The Muppets have been there since I was a kid. Bear taught me about sharing, Kermit told me that it's not easy being green, The Electric Mayhem sang wonderful classic rock songs that I still listen to this day. Like Kylie if I have a bad day, I always turn to them. If I were to meet them, I would be honored to because they teach us so much. I thank them for being there for me every step of the way in my life.
Yea! They've been there when no else was