What Disney is getting from Henson...

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Hi gang,

On February 20 I e-mailed John Spelich, Vice President-Corporate Communications of Disney, about the Muppet buyout and I got a response today. Here it is:

Thanks for your note.

Sorry it took some time to get back, but we wanted to make sure we had as complete an answer as possible.

In this transaction, Disney purchased all titles with Muppets content. This includes from television the three main Muppet series (Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, Muppet Babies), the Muppet-related segments (but not the Storyteller segments) of the Jim Henson Hour; the Muppet interstitials (Muppet Time / Muppetisms) and the three episodes of Little Muppet Monsters.

From the movies, the deal included the Muppet Movie and the Great Muppet Caper as well as Muppet Meeting Films and the Henson company's ownership of all other Muppet movies.

In terms of TV specials and direct-to-video, the transaction included Muppet-show related titles as well as The Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Tale of the Bunny Picnic, and Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree.

We can't specifically comment on the negotiations except to note that a number of different possibilities were examined, and the this transaction was one that made the most sense for both parties. You may want to contact the Henson company regarding your second question.

Like you, we're big fans of the Muppets as well, and we're also well aware of the passionate dedication of Muppet fans worldwide. We hope to do right by the fans. Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,

John W. Spelich
Vice President - Corporate Communications
The Walt Disney Company
john.spelich@disney.com

And here's my e-mail to him, in case you're interested:

Hi,

Are you able to tell me exactly what titles from the Muppet film and television library that Disney is acquiring? Of course, you'll get The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight, but would you also be getting titles like The Jim Henson Hour and The Tale of the Bunny Picnic? I would just like to have a list of titles, please.

Also, how come The Walt Disney Company is buying the Muppet characters, and not the Henson Company itself. It is shocking that the Henson family would actually sell the characters to Disney, but keep the rest of the Henson catalog. I am just curious that in the six months of negotiations, if the possible acquisition of the Henson Company (or the entire film and TV library) ever came up.

Thank you.

jediX

Reaction score
Thanks for finding that out, boyraisin...that will really clear up a lot of uncertainty. All that's left of that is whether or not the performers will stay the same, which we can only assume, and hope, that they will remain the same as always. I'm sure there's much more, but this is a big help.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Wow, He actually gave you a pretty personal answer instead of some cookie-cutter response. That letter though gives me a little bit more hope in Disney.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah, I never even THOUGHT of the Muppet Meeting Films.

Nor do I ever THINK of the Muppet Meeting Films. :smirk:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have strong feelings about Disney, but you have to give the deal a chance I think. They're not stupid (with the possible exception of their CEO :stick_out_tongue:). They didn't just spend $60 milllion dollars so they could ruin something. We may not like everything they'll do with the Muppets but I don't think they are out to ruin them. Quite the opposite actually.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Like you, we're big fans of the Muppets as well, and we're also well aware of the passionate dedication of Muppet fans worldwide. We hope to do right by the fans. Thanks for your interest.
A promising position, and I'm glad they expressed it. "Doing right by the fans" is important--if the people who have always loved the Muppets are satisfied with what Disney does with them, then who can complain?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
What???!!! No "Muppet Family Chistmas" was part of the deal? :concern: Dang... and I was REALLY hoping that Disney would re-release the un-cut DVD or air it on Disney channel this year! :cry: dang man....... :sympathy:

GPrime1

Reaction score
He also doesn't mention "The Muppets Take Manhattan." I wonder if that means we'll never see another DVD release or a discontinuation of the current release. I remember back in the early '90s with Disney distributing Henson material, that "Manhattan" was also not part of the equation.

Beauregard

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
and the Henson company's ownership of all other Muppet movies.
I imagine that includes the others then. You don't get MC and TMM but not MTM, that would be ludicrous (sp)

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I imagine that includes the others then. You don't get MC and TMM but not MTM, that would be ludicrous (sp)
Ahhh lol, Beauregard what does MC TMM & MTM stand for? lol :embarrassed: :stick_out_tongue: :stick_out_tongue: and is "Its a VERY Merry MUPPET christmas Movie" part of the Disney deal too or no??!! :smirk: