What bonus features would you like on The Muppet Show Season 4?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Babies, I feel should be released at a separate time, just so no one lumps them together as "those kid's characters Jim created in a cartoon," a bad stigmata for the Muppet license. The cartoons at least have some sort of a connection with the adult characters. Plus, I'm sure the fanbase is just curious as the monkey George to see the ones that never made it to air.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Anything Muppet Baby related does not belong as a bonus feature on a TMS set. Not only would this take away from stuff that belong on there and wouldn't be appropriate elsewhere, but they're really two very seperate projects (even if one is based on characters from the other) with different intended audiences and tones.

I don't doubt Muppet Babies will eventually (when the timing is right ... which is NOT now) get dvd sets. I fully expect it...i would be surprised if it DIDN'T happen. And that is where the Little Muppet Monsters would work best as bonus features.

I touched on this above, but my main thing when it comes to bonus features is to use them as an opportunity to get stuff out that ties into the main feature as excellent (and appropriate) supplements to the main feature. Movies get rereleased all the time to it being almost laughable. Tv shows - not so much, especially when you're doing them in complete box sets. If you miss a "no-brainer" opportunity to include an extra that should be on there (like the original promos), you're not going to get a "second chance" (if ever) to correct that mistake.

Disney should have (and now more than ever i'm sure they do) a long-term plan in terms of getting out the stuff we want to see released. Rule of thumb: if something would work better (or could be) released via some other venue like a seperate release, leave it off and save it for the means by which it would be more appropriate. As rare and nifty as it was, i even thought "Muppets on Puppets" was really pushing it as a bonus feature but i'm more willing to give that a pass more than i would specials like Frog Prince only because of its rarity and being more obscure (and would seem like an odd headliner on a dvd again as opposed to Frog Prince) and because it showed something really archival that showed the beginnings of what eventually led to TMS and things like Don Sahlin working with Jim and Frank to show construction and character development gave fans a chance to hear things from these people who (with one exception) aren't around to record anything new.

There's a whole lot of stuff i want to see on dvd as many of us here do...but when we're thinking of stuff we'd like to see as bonus features on TMS i think some people have a tendancy to mix that specific question up with the more general question of "what would you like to see on dvd" and include it as their answer to the first question even if it may ultimately not be a real good choice.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think any episodes of Muppet Babies, Little Muppet Monsters, The Jim Henson Hour, Muppets Tonight, or Muppets TV belong on this set.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow I was not aware of how passionit people would be over the idea of putting anything like Muppet Babies on the set. I kind of see everyone's points, and it would make sences for them not to put anything like that on there.
I do feel like some have posted and that of Muppets and men should be put on season 5, and then put a where are they now a look at where some of the more obscure Muppets from Season 1-4 have gone to, kind of give them a little bit of a return. Now am I thinking clearly, for a second there I thought people where going to tar and feather me for the Muppet Baby idea.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There are so many gems they could load onto the Season Four, but I would really like some commentary. I don't see why they can't pick a couple of episodes and get Dave or Jerry or Steve to record some comments.

If I were at the beginning of this DVD project, I would have themed each season menu differently: ie Muppet Labs, Pigs in Space, Statler & Waldorf, Electric Mayhem, Swedish Chef kitchen segment. I'd like to see some of that in the menus going forward.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Though not from season 4, but I really think the scene with Mary Roose from Germany should make it to the DVD. I don't know why it wasn't included on the season 1 DVD.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Ooh - good one; totally agree! That's exactly the kind of stuff i'm talking about in terms of really only making sense as a TMS bonus feature as opposed to somewhere else.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anything Muppet Baby related does not belong as a bonus feature on a TMS set. Not only would this take away from stuff that belong on there and wouldn't be appropriate elsewhere, but they're really two very seperate projects (even if one is based on characters from the other) with different intended audiences and tones.

I don't doubt Muppet Babies will eventually (when the timing is right ... which is NOT now) get dvd sets. I fully expect it...i would be surprised if it DIDN'T happen. And that is where the Little Muppet Monsters would work best as bonus features.
Yeah.,.. I see what you're getting at, myself. Though my main problem is that I just don't see them releasing Muppet babies with any major special features... in fact, if they release it any way besides just kiddy 5 episodes or less for 15 dollar DVD's, I'll be surprised. Not so much just the copyrights or anything, but it really seems that Disney has yet to be really good about a cartoon season set release.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I think I may have posted this elsewhere, but here's a few things I'd like to see on Season 4 of The Muppet Show:

(Okay, actually I just want to see this released and it should be released in conjunction with The Muppet Show- I don't care so much if it's on Season 4 or Season 5 or what.)

"The Muppets Go Hollywood" (true, it doesn't exactly fit with TMS, but I'm not sure I see where else it might ever get released- unless Disney releases "The Muppet Movie" yet again with this on it.)

"The Muppets Go to Walt Disney World" (yes, I know this is definitely not from the TMS era, but then neither was the Weezer music video, but I certainly wasn't gonna turn that down either. Besides, Disney owns The Muppets now- this really should be a no-brainer to release at some point, somewhere.)

"The Muppets Go to the Movies" (After finally getting a chance to see this, I definitely think it needs to be on one of the TMS releases. It feels like an additional episode of The Muppet Show, complete with guest stars like Dudley Moore and Lily Tomlin.)

"Of Muppets and Men" (This is by far one of the most no-brainers on here- it's a documentary made during the last season of the show! This is a great special that just needs to be on DVD.)

"The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show" (I don't know where else this might get released and I would certainly be happy to take it if included as an extra on one of the TMS DVDs.)

Muppets.com stuff would be great too. I would love to have that in addition to everything else I've listed, but since I can easily access those on the Web of course- I'd rather have those specials released first. But both would be even better!:smile:

There's lots of other things I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'd rather have the other specials out there and TV shows released in their own box sets. Here's hoping.:super:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Disney should have (and now more than ever i'm sure they do) a long-term plan in terms of getting out the stuff we want to see released. Rule of thumb: if something would work better (or could be) released via some other venue like a seperate release, leave it off and save it for the means by which it would be more appropriate. As rare and nifty as it was, i even thought "Muppets on Puppets" was really pushing it as a bonus feature but i'm more willing to give that a pass more than i would specials like Frog Prince only because of its rarity and being more obscure (and would seem like an odd headliner on a dvd again as opposed to Frog Prince) and because it showed something really archival that showed the beginnings of what eventually led to TMS and things like Don Sahlin working with Jim and Frank to show construction and character development gave fans a chance to hear things from these people who (with one exception) aren't around to record anything new.

You know, I feel like The Muppets Valentine Show could work as a stand-alone DVD, as a valentines release. I'm surprised that it was never released commercially on home video. The cover could have a big heart-shaped image of Mia Farrow with some of the Muppets from the special, and maybe smaller heart-shaped images on the side (if by chance there aren't any good non-still photos of Mia and Kermit).I sort of feel like Sex and Violence could work as a stand-aloen release as well, but I figure Disney wouldn't want to release a DVD with the word "sex" in the title (heck, on the first season DVD, it's only listed on the packaging and menu as "Original Pilot").