What are YOUR ideas of headcannons for Lips??

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
I wanna hear your suggestions of what you think Lips's background is. Like what kind of family life you think he had or how do you think he got in the Electric Mayhem? Something like that.

To me, I think Lips grew up with a loving mother, an identical twin sister (who is basically like a second mother to him and is in the US Army as a general), and by a very abusive father. Lips ends up moving to San Francisco throughout his teen life with his family and then moves to Los Angeles when he grows to an adult after high school. Lips eventually becomes homeless and the Electric Mayhem discovers him and his talent, and then asks Lips for an audition and a even offers a place to stay. He became famous later on. :smile:

So what are your thoughts on a headcannon for Lips??

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Who would've thought Lips had such a fan base :smirk:.

Anyways, Lips is a pretty regular guy. He inherited his dad's business, but music was always his true passion. He wasn't very close with his father, but his mom is one of his best friends. He's been playing the trumpet since he was a teenager, and played in a big band for years in his hometown in New Orleans.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
Who would've thought Lips had such a fan base :smirk:.

Anyways, Lips is a pretty regular guy. He inherited his dad's business, but music was always his true passion. He wasn't very close with his father, but his mom is one of his best friends. He's been playing the trumpet since he was a teenager, and played in a big band for years in his hometown in New Orleans.
I can see that :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I always thought it would be cool if there was an origin movie or special for The Electric Mayhem. It could be pretty wild. I think some parts of Steve Whitmire's origins could parallel with Lips' story since he was the last member to join the band, and Steve was essentially the last new addition to the core group of Muppet Show performers.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
True. But Lips should get more attention. He never gets that much attention :cry:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I often thought of Lips as someone who's really shy unless he's playing the trumpet, which explains his silence (though in most instances of him talking, he seems to talk with wild confidence). He kinda looks a bit shy when he's shown without his trumpet. And there's also the fact that people who worked with him have said that Steve Whitmire is or was shy (I don't think I've actually seen any mention of his shyness in the last decade, so maybe Whitmire overcame it by now. Of course most interviews I've seen where they say he was shy were talking about what he was like during the days of The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock, so maybe he'd even overcame it before those interviews). In fact the writer of Muppet Snow White cited this as why Lips was a perfect casting choice for Bashful.

Then again, with Whitmire being more confident with giving the character a voice in recent years, he doesn't really seem so shy anymore, even when we see him not talking or playing the trumpet. Could it be that it was in the puppet used (since he was recently rebuilt for maybe the first time ever)? Or when looking at him in those group/crowd scenes when he's not playing, I'm wondering if it should be shyness or just him not feeling like interacting with others.

As a backstory, I like to think that he was a fan of The Electric Mayhem, maybe especially a big fan of Zoot, and wanted to join the band. I also like to think maybe he had a crush on Trumpet Girl (since they both play the same instruments) and joined the orchestra to get closer to her, or maybe they did start dating and she arranged for him to be in the orchestra, agreeing to take up a different instrument, and his own skills led to him becoming part of The Electric Mayhem as well as the orchestra.