West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, there's been all kinds of outbreaks and epidemics lately, but it seems like sequelitis has especially gotten out of control in recent times. I mean, just look at all the sequels we're getting soon: The Muppets (2011) 2 (that goes without saying), Monster's University (technically, prequel, I know), Smurfs 2 (are we sure this isn't just an excuse to give NPH yet ANOTHER movie?), Alvin and The Chipmunks 4 (assuming it hasn't been shelved in favor of the new animated series), Hotel Transylvania 2, Wreck-it Ralph 2 (and number one of both JUST came out), among others.

Will there ever be a cure? Or at least a containment of some sort?

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Squelitis? I have NEVER ever heard of an outbreak of that before in my entire life. I am not sure if there is a cure, but there are squels. Dang! :sigh:

Hubert

Reaction score
*itches skin*

Though the Muppets one may not really be a sequel, yet only marketed as one for the time being, as such TMM and GMC.

*continues itching*

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's natural to want a sequel. You get involved with characters for 90+ minutes and you want the story to continue. Movies usually have a sequel hook, anyway. The question really is if we'll get the sequel we'll deserve or something like Cars 2, which seems like a comic book adaption/Saturday morning cartoon episode. I mean, I love the Men in Black movies, but the second one was far inferior to that cartoon adaption. The third was an improvement.

I will say, half of those films deserve a sequel, The Chipmunks doesn't. That one's for money. Wreck it Ralph is about Fix-it-Felix Jr. There's a built in sequel right there (maybe we'll get more involvement with Nintendo this time, so we won't have pallet swapped princesses covering their faces). I'm not too happy Smurfs 2 has them come back to our time, but the plot actually sounds slightly better (Gargamel makes an evil army of clone Smurfs). I dunno about Hotel Transylvania 2. I liked that movie, even with problems with script and too much Adam Sandler. I guess there's something to Dracula's daughter being in love with a mortal, leading to the inevitable of him dying, and losing him forever until they turn him into a monster... but knowing them, they'll go for something not half as deep as that.

The funny thing is, to the far future the only Dreamworks sequels I see are 2 for How to Train your Dragon (one in 2014, one in 2016) and one for Kung Fu Panda (2016) (unless you count the Penguins of Madagascar the movie... and SO HELP ME, they better keep cartoon continuity with that).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's natural to want a sequel. You get involved with characters for 90+ minutes and you want the story to continue.
I can go along with you on that one (I know Dana Carvey was really wanting a sequel to The Master of Disguise), and while that actually can be the case some times, it seems more like in this day and age, sequels for movies has pretty much become an overused and overrated gimmick... y'know, like 3D? Also seems like the fact that some movies already have sequels in the works right when the first just comes out kind of speaks volumes, but then again, like you say, some of it may have to do with hooks and clauses and such.

Still, it almost seems like it's gotten out of hand.