Well?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see, but I don't see how releasing a TV show on DVD is going to hurt or hamper any plans. If anything, a DVD set released a while before the movie comes out might just give the film a push. Though, I do think they want some movie Behind the scenes/Trailer teaser stuff somewhere on the DVD. That's the most reasonable excuse for holding up any production on the final released set, releasing season 5 either just as the film comes out or when it comes to DVD. I'd absolutely hate for it to be released next November. It really should come out way before then.

Even if that's the case, the show can sell well all its own. Most shows, even older ones get a yearly release. We've seen 3 sets released in 5 years, with the next one inconstantly coming out sometime next year when they PROMISED to get it out this year.

Nick22

Reaction score
there's probably a good reason that it's not out yet. i don't think anyone should worry about. we're getting a movie, aren't we?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i understand what our dear frogboy is saying and i agree with the post, and mostly the decision to hold season 4 till after the movie...why release it now and only get so many "y" number of sales that are mostly older fans ,when you can release it after a (hopefully) very successful relaunch and get "x" number of sales plus maybe more

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see how releasing it after the movie will help or hurt sales and help or hurt the film. Plus, if anything, I'd tend to see this released just before the film as a tie in, with BTS footage and trailers.... with season 5 released once it hits DVD.

Still, I'd wish they could get this out early spring or something... That's over a 3 and a half year wait if they do it for the movie... and again, it's not like it's a 4 season show and nothing else. There's enough Muppet footage to be released and rereleased from now till the movie comes out.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I don't see how releasing it after the movie will help or hurt sales and help or hurt the film. Plus, if anything, I'd tend to see this released just before the film as a tie in, with BTS footage and trailers.... with season 5 released once it hits DVD.
I have to agree with this. Sales would be the same regardless of whether season 4 came out six months before the movie or six months after the movie. When season 4 does come out, it'll always be out. Besides, most Muppet newbies would probably want to purchase the previous seasons first. I admit the fact that we haven't seen season 4 yet or even the drop of an official announcement is a tad strange. I was a sophomore in high school when season 3 came out... now I'm a freshman in college. That's too long of a wait for a DVD box set.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
look at it from a sellers point of view and it does make some sense

they are hoping for a giant come back from the muppets so that when new merch is out it sells hard...not just to the fan base

i mean i see it now alot of stores near me have muppet stuff mostly in stores like spencers and newbury comics..currently they are trying to reach the retro style/tween/young adult age and get a new fanbase as well as some bring back some of the older fans

i have the stuff that appeals to me but there is so much more i know other people will buy, im sure they are hoping for all that to be sold in landslides once the movie comes out

Drtooth

Reaction score
look at it from a sellers point of view and it does make some sense

they are hoping for a giant come back from the muppets so that when new merch is out it sells hard...not just to the fan base
The problem with the "Come back" aspect is that every single year they've owned the characters was that, other than the initial buy out every year they announced the NEXT year would be year of the big comeback. Season 4 should have came out in 2009, but was supposed to be released THIS year because it was the "Year of the Muppets." Apparently, a comic book series, a series of Award winning videos and the rest weren't enough to get it out on DVD until they made a movie. Now, I understand holding things to hype up a film, but again, we have 2 season of a show, Muppets Tonight, Muppet Movies, Muppet specials and all that other stuff that COULD be released or re-released.

Face it, we're NOT talking T-shirts, action figures, or a brand of baloney here... this is a TV show, a well known classic that has been a solid seller time and time again. While I see store shelves clog, nay, choke themselves on a gluttony of current shows that get canceled almost a week after the "season 1" of them was just released. Not to mention throwaway kiddy films and 3 episode DVD's that go straight to the bargain bin.

The show is strong enough to stand on its own 2 feet. It could sell very well without needing a movie for people to conveniently remember it. If the whole series was out by now, it would have actually made the aspect of a movie stronger.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
just wanted to clear up i know exactly what you mean and your also right on every point as well...im just giving others that maybe point of view

dont forget fox canceled 1 show before it aired and another the day it aired( sorry had to put that)