Welcome to the Author's Corner

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
*sigh* Not working on anything... But I am determined to have a very productive year this year! I will come up with something to write, doggone it! (I hope!) :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes. Yu must. Writing is life, life is writing!

Beebers

Reaction score
There are two fundamentals to writing in book fiction form, short story or long: Write what you know; and allow your characters to develop themselves, which they will as you go. Reading quality writers is invaluable for sentence construction, readability, character development and patterns of dialogue. Dickens walked the streets of his London and wrote what he saw, heard, and experienced. The great American writers of the South (Faulkner, etc.) did the same. Eyes and ears open, out and about, paying attention.
Without exception the finest writers have been well-read and good listeners.
Script, teleplay and screenplay require strict focus on character dialogue and pacing/timing. Effective delivery of lines worth hearing is paramount. Never forget your audience.
Outlines are clarifying and thought-focusing for some, dampening and drudgery for others. As in every art, creative souls should work in the methodries that they find suit them best. In writing, you are telling a story. If you're telling a story that you believe is worth hearing you will tell a good story.

:cool:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Thanks to "Chicken Soup for the Soul: How to Live Your Dreams", I have now started 1 of at least 2 books I'm really gonna work hard on 'is year. :smile:

jediX

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
I'm working on THREE children's novels at the moment. (Part of a trilogy.)

The challenge with these scripts is that I'm working on a REEEEAAAALLY low budget, so they're really gonna work more like a stage play! (...With a low budget!)
I'm doing a trilogy as well, but it is by no means for children (there's some pretty intense action/terror in parts).

Beauregard

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Thanks to "Chicken Soup for the Soul: How to Live Your Dreams", I have now started 1 of at least 2 books I'm really gonna work hard on 'is year. :smile:
And in what way, i this the fault of Chicken Soup for the soul? :wink: Hope you do well.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Yay! Hope it goes well for you! :big_grin:
Erin

Manda:-D

Reaction score
So...Hre's a question for yall: How attatched are you to your characters?
See, I was watching Princess Bride w/William Goldman's commentary the other day, and he said that after he wrote the words, "Wesley lay dead by the machine", he CRIED. Now, not too ong ago, I realized in one of my stories that a certain character HAD to die. He was one of my favorites, and I was very attatched to him, so it was actually a real struggle for me...But the Muses demanded it. So....Am I crazy, or is anyone ELSE so attatched to characters that it's hard to kill them off, sometimes?

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
So....Am I crazy, or is anyone ELSE so attatched to characters that it's hard to kill them off, sometimes?
I'm kinda sorta like that in a few cases, but it's easier to kill 'em off if I know it's for the good of the story.

It's harder for me to kill off canon characters in fanfictions, because I'm alwasy afraid that if I do, the fans will kill me. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
So...Hre's a question for yall: How attatched are you to your characters?
See, I was watching Princess Bride w/William Goldman's commentary the other day, and he said that after he wrote the words, "Wesley lay dead by the machine", he CRIED. Now, not too ong ago, I realized in one of my stories that a certain character HAD to die. He was one of my favorites, and I was very attatched to him, so it was actually a real struggle for me...But the Muses demanded it. So....Am I crazy, or is anyone ELSE so attatched to characters that it's hard to kill them off, sometimes?
Well, I LOVE killing of my characters. The more that die the happier I am, or does that make me into some kind of sicko? LOL.

Anyway, I am writing a series of TV tie-ins and have been asked by a lit. agency to send in my first three chapters and synopsis. *crosses fingers*