Weirdest Sketch

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Ah, very cool. Unfortunately I find it near to impossible to find any muppet DVDs in stores.. :smirk:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
The Count said:
BTW: You can find the Brooke Shields TMS episode on Volume 8 of the Time-Life Best of the Muppet Show DVD series.
Which characters are on the cover? I think the Barnes & Noble near me has the one with Swedish Chef on it. (I don't know the volume numbers of the DVDs :embarrassed: ) I remember the Jabberwocky poem, the book was at the library at my last school. And one last thing, I read part of Alice in Wonderland, I barely understood a word! :crazy:

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
To this day I find it an odd choice to have penguins dressed as pilgrims on the Mayflower singing "Alabama Bound" Or Eskimo pigs singing "Lullaby of Broadway"

See those are just random decisons that Jim was fond of doing. And don't get me wrong I love them but they are wierd. Though perhaps I love them becasue they are weird.

Some times it made sense the way he performed a song. For example what better to have sing "Why can't we be friends" than soldiers in the middle of a battlefield? Or "I'm looking through you" sung by semi-transparent ghosts? In that reguard it make perfect sense to have a monster eat someone then sing "I've got you under my skin" (Though personally I would've had the monster eat a girl muppet as the song is clearly ment to be sung from a man to a woman)

But having mummies and sarcofigai (sp?) singing "Night and Day" is strange (albiet one of my faves) as is "Lime in the coconut" turning a hospital room into a jungle with a witch doctor.

Jabberwocky is supposed to be totally bizzare. And if you notice Jim and co. actually read the whole book becasue they made the toves, borogoves and raths look exactly the way they were supposed to.

BTW: Good luck fidning the dvds in stores Apparently they're out of production now. But the season sets should be coming. (just hope they don't cost $180 each like Star Trek does)

DerekJ

Reaction score
The Count said:
Well... The reason they performed the poem of the Jabberwock, was cause the whole episode where it appeared was the one with Brooke Shields. And that was the Muppets In Wonderland episode.
BTW: You can find the Brooke Shields TMS episode on Volume 8 of the Time-Life Best of the Muppet Show DVD series.
And also--as explained later in "Through the Looking Glass"--the various Muppet creatures we see in the sketch are the Jub-Jub Birds and Frumious Bandersnatches as described in Carroll's poem--
Which is much too sensible for it to qualify as a "weird" sketch.

Now, the semi-improvisatory Marty Feldman and Spike Milligan episodes, OTOH... :confused:
"<throttles chicken> Now, tell me: WHICH CAME FIRST???"

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
And also--as explained later in "Through the Looking Glass"--the various Muppet creatures we see in the sketch are the Jub-Jub Birds and Frumious Bandersnatches as described in Carroll's poem--"
Actually they were the creatures in the first verse;

Tove: a small creature that's a little like a mole and a little like a corkscrew

Borogrove: a scraggly looking bird with long legs and scrffy feathers sort of like a live mop.

Rath: a type of green pig

D

Dil

I think the Opera Number in a UK Spot for the Beverly Sills is the most weirdest thing EVER on the Muppet Show. You know why? These strange furry creature have their performer's mouth. The grey one had a low-pitched voice, as the brown one had a high-pitched voice. Muppets with real human mouths are really weird.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I think In the Navy sung by the Viking Pigs pillaging a village to be a rather weird touch on that song. The big joke being that the Navy was once an old term used to refer to the Vikings.
And then there's all those whatnot skiers singing Tumbling Tumbleweeds as they crash into trees or each other some of them literally tumbling cartwheels just like tumbleweeds.
Then there's When the Saints go Marching in performed by Hal Lynden and the Electric Mayhem while silly old Beauregard is testing trapdoor releases for the stage and they fall down but climb back up and resume singing.
Finally my favourite muppet show skit is really pretty weird when you come to think about it. The Happy Wanderer sung by three pig alps-climbers who fall off one by one. A very weird bizarre dark twist on what is supposed to be such a jolly happy sort of song.:big_grin: :wink: :zany:

G-MAN

Reaction score
That Opera bit used to scare me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of the skits that I think are weirdest:

Mahna Mahna
The Windmills of Your Mind (the way the lyrics are written in The Muppet Show Book are even weirder)
the UK spot from the Beveryl Sills episode
The Raggmopps
many Pigs in Space, Swedish Chef, and Muppet Labs skits
Muppet Sports: Wig Racing
Jaborwocky
Muppet News: Furnature Monsters (it's never really clear if the man watching the news on TV is supposed to be watching the news on-stage or if he is watching The Muppet Show)
All of Me
all Koozebanian skits
Somethings Missing

Oddly enough, very few of the skits I listed here were included in Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Ah, very cool. Unfortunately I find it near to impossible to find any muppet DVDs in stores.. :smirk:
Have you tried Wal-Mart? At my Wal-Mart we have the 50th anniversary DVDs, Elmo in Grouchland, Kermit's Swamp years, The Muppets Wizard Of Oz and a few others. If you want any PM me.:wink: