Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels like"Planes 2" Will not fail, but simply underperform? I expect a $30-35 mil debut.
Planes is a lost cause, but for WHATEVER REASON parents zoom into theaters and the kids eat it all up. Really? It's really sad how some pathetic DTV theatrical release could manage $90 million at the box office. But, ya I hope it under-performs, but considering it is one of only two CG kid films this summer, it unfortunately won't. For the record, a $30-$35 million debut would be nowhere near a weak performance since the first one made $22 million when it debuted. I hope it opens to about $20 million, but holds really weakly and ends up with a final gross of $55-$60 million, but Boxofficemojo predicts a final gross of $110 million, but then again that website is not always accurate, I mean they thought HTTYD 2 would make $325 million domestically thought it probably won't crack $180 million. But, I hope we won't be seeing a planes 3 anytime soon.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
If a Planes 3 were to happen, then it would mean there would be more "Planes" than "Cars"- WHAT???

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
P.s.- I actually liked the first "Cars". I am at the point where I swear to never see Planes 2 . And I hate the sappy song they play in the commercials for it!

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I knew Planes had a small opening. I could tell you how much any major cgi feature made in tue box office.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon 2 opened on the same day as 22 Jump Street, but hasn't fared nearly as well: through 18 days, the animated sequel has earned $124.2 million. That's lagging $10 million behind the original movie, and that gap is only going to get wider in the coming weeks. Ultimately, this could wrap up below $170 million, which is a massive disappointment for what was expected to be one of the biggest movies of the Summer.
(boxofficemojo)

Anyone else thinks that there's a chance the planes sequel could wind up making MORE than dragon?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dragons may have been a disappointment (I blame bad timing), but the shockingly bad box office for the Wizard of Oz movie is... okay, take back shocking.... HILARIOUS... it did hilariously bad, got terrible reviews, and I found this nugget on TVTROPES:

On Rotten Tomatoes, the reviews from professional critics were 15% fresh, while audience reviews were 86% fresh. But while there are genuinely positive reviews, the vast majority of the audience reviews come from simple usernames with otherwise blank accounts, suggesting Astroturfing rather than this trope (the weak box-office take doesn't help the film's case here).
Pa...the...tic. They've resorted to getting puppet accounts (or whatever that term is) to post phoney good reviews. I also remember the week after the horrible opening (where there were NO other films out there outside of Spidey 2) they went on The View and pushed the movie to heck and back. Can you say desperate? On the other hand, at least that's more effort than Dreamworks put in with Dragons after the first week. Maybe if they didn't have such a defeatist attitude towards the whole thing, there could have been a little more business. But so far, Dragons has outgrossed it's last two films domestically in its 3rd week.

As for Planes. Planes only made 90 million US in it's entire run. By all means, not successful. But Disney wants this to be a thing (I never see Planes merchandise move. Cars stuff, yes, Planes no), and the second one made in tandem with the first anyway. Plus, they have no animated movie from Pixar this year anyway. But then again, the movie can't possibly get an audience wider than anyone over the age of 5. It's too much of a lame toy commercial for anyone over that age to tolerate.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Dragons may have been a disappointment (I blame bad timing), but the shockingly bad box office for the Wizard of Oz movie is... okay, take back shocking.... HILARIOUS... it did hilariously bad, got terrible reviews, and I found this nugget on TVTROPES:

Pa...the...tic. They've resorted to getting puppet accounts (or whatever that term is) to post phoney good reviews. I also remember the week after the horrible opening (where there were NO other films out there outside of Spidey 2) they went on The View and pushed the movie to heck and back. Can you say desperate? On the other hand, at least that's more effort than Dreamworks put in with Dragons after the first week. Maybe if they didn't have such a defeatist attitude towards the whole thing, there could have been a little more business. But so far, Dragons has outgrossed it's last two films domestically in its 3rd week.

As for Planes. Planes only made 90 million US in it's entire run. By all means, not successful. But Disney wants this to be a thing (I never see Planes merchandise move. Cars stuff, yes, Planes no), and the second one made in tandem with the first anyway. Plus, they have no animated movie from Pixar this year anyway. But then again, the movie can't possibly get an audience wider than anyone over the age of 5. It's too much of a lame toy commercial for anyone over that age to tolerate.
Planes 1 had like a $50 million budget, so making $90 million was pretty successful for the film + all the money from merchandise. Though, I'm pretty sure Planes 2 was made a while back and meant as a DTV sequel, but NO they release that too, and I hope it bombs and Disney learns its lesson. Meanwhile, the oz thing had no chance anyways. It looked cheap, everyone hated it, and Rio 2 was still fresh, not to mention Lego, Peabody, and Muppets were still making some dough. So ya, that film had literally NOTHING going for it, and what's crazy is that it had a $70 million budget! Lego and Planes had $60 and $50 million budgets respectively and they did not look cheap, I mean seriously the oz producers lost so much money!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels like"Planes 2" Will not fail, but simply underperform? I expect a $30-35 mil debut.
Planes isn't even about the box-office money. It only exists for the enormous amount of money they make off merchandise for those ridiculous films.

Forbes article about domestic vs overseas box office:
'Pacific Rim 2' May Be A Box Office Game-Changer
America no longer drives the box office for American movies. This will change the shape of entertainment.
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. On one hand, if studios will focus more on international money, less films would be considered "flops" and there would be a large interest in those films allowing it to earn the money it deserves.

On the other hand, if studios are focusing more on international films, they will start catering to the bigger foreign countries and the industry will change rapidly. I read an article somewhere saying that the new Transformers movie and X-Men: Days of Future Past both feature scenes in China, in order to lightly cater to the Chinese moviegoers and drum up money for the films. Muppets Most Wanted was filmed all over Europe in order to get the international crowd more interested, so you get the idea.

I find it really interesting how the foreign markets are beginning to play a major role in Hollywood.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Planes isn't even about the box-office money. It only exists for the enormous amount of money they make off merchandise for those ridiculous films.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. On one hand, if studios will focus more on international money, less films would be considered "flops" and there would be a large interest in those films allowing it to earn the money it deserves.

On the other hand, if studios are focusing more on international films, they will start catering to the bigger foreign countries and the industry will change rapidly. I read an article somewhere saying that the new Transformers movie and X-Men: Days of Future Past both feature scenes in China, in order to lightly cater to the Chinese moviegoers and drum up money for the films. Muppets Most Wanted was filmed all over Europe in order to get the international crowd more interested, so you get the idea.

I find it really interesting how the foreign markets are beginning to play a major role in Hollywood.
The same was true for Iron Man 3. They filmed some exclusive scenes in China and they poured a lot of money into the budget. I guess the global economy is hitting the movie business now. It could add a little more flavor to the formula. We'll see.