Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I hate to double post, but I want to see if anyone wants to carry on a conversation about this.

Anyone else kinda disappointed that Battleship made back its money, especially overseas? It really seems like they're rewarding very bad decisions made exclusively by producers and giving them the reason to make more. I'm sure we'll see a Battleship 2 followed by Connect Four, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and Operation
I am! Why would they make a movie out of Battleship? They use the name and make up a whole stupid story about aliens attacking the world! I hate it when garbage like this makes it to the big screen! And I always wish this stuff doesn't ,make any money. More Hasbro movies are defiantley on their way.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Alf's creator/performer feels that his wisecracking Melmachian fuzzball has just as much or even more of a right to the cinematic treatment as the Chipmunks, Smurfs or the Muppets. I liked the 80's program and the animated series, but I'm not so sure that the concept has enough unexplored territory to warrant a motion picture. Maybe if it's a live action prequel set on his home planet. What do you think?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
A Viewmaster movie! Wow! I can't even imagine what the plot would be. That sounds like the most boring concept for a film either, unless some production company decides that Connect Four is ripe for a blockbuster.
Maybe it would be about a couple of dudes who find these "viewmasters" and discover that by looking through them, they can see the aliens that are living among us...

Oh wait...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Have you never seen They Live? The only logical movie plot that I can think of for a viewmaster movie would be a clone of They Live, only with viewmasters instead of sunglasses, which instantly makes it dumber

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Maybe someone could become "trapped" in a ViewMaster and have to fight to get out by jumping from slide to slide? Anything involving a movie based on a viewmaster would be silly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alf's creator/performer feels that his wisecracking Melmachian fuzzball has just as much or even more of a right to the cinematic treatment as the Chipmunks, Smurfs or the Muppets. I liked the 80's program and the animated series, but I'm not so sure that the concept has enough unexplored territory to warrant a motion picture. Maybe if it's a live action prequel set on his home planet. What do you think?
I WANT it to be a prequel set on his home planet. I love ALF. I love the sitcom, but I find the cartoon to have such a superior concept behind it. But all those Melmacian puppets and the cost of puppeteers... that's going to be very expensive.

Still, I dug, but was a little disappointed by Project ALF. I agree that something about it was flat, but it was decent enough as a made for TV movie. Germany got it theatrically.

Maybe someone could become "trapped" in a ViewMaster and have to fight to get out by jumping from slide to slide? Anything involving a movie based on a viewmaster would be silly.

The age of Dinosaurs!

Oh yeah... just editing this in because I just found it out.

The G.I. Joe movie that was due in just over a month has been all the sudden pulled for 9 months. http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...he-real-reason-for-g-i-joes-nine-month-delay/
They say it's so they can make it 3-D for optimizing the international Box Office, but you can tell they're running scared after Battleship's disastrous US opening. Of course, unlike Battleship, you have a LOT to go on with G.I. Joe. Still, the last one was released in August (a stupid move) and didn't get quite the amount of viewership they would have liked.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Huh, Since Nobody's Gonna Post On This, Probaly For Now, I Figured I'd Post The Box Office Records This Weekend
1. Men in Black 3 3D (Columbia/Sony) NEW [4,248 Theaters] PG13
Friday $18M, 4-Day Weekend $75M
2. Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,918 Theaters] PG13
Friday $9.5M, 4-Day Weekend $45M, Cume $523.5M
3. Chernobyl Diaries (Alcon/Warner Bros) NEW [2,433
Theaters] R
Friday $3.5M, 4-Day Weekend $11.5M
3. Battleship (Universal) Week 2 [3,702 Theaters] PG13
Friday $2.8M (-69%), 4-Day Weekend $13.5M, Cume $43.3M
5. The Dictator (Paramount) Week 2 [3,014 Theaters] R
Friday $2.6M (-53%), 4-Day Weekend $11.5M, Cume $43.3M
6. Dark Shadows 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,404 Theaters] PG13