Was this really news? Fox News attacks Mr. Rogers

Drtooth

Reaction score
The scary part is Bill O'Reily is the most well behaved one now.

Search You Tube. All this information is out there, but nobody cares because the people actually watching Fox News (aside from comedians at the Daily Show and Media Matters) are conservatives who are just having their point of view reaffirmed. If you are curious, check it out. I'm typing this from one of my three jobs, otherwise I'd let the OCD take over and provide a long list of links.
Scary point #2... The comedy news has more fact than any real broadcast news of any side.

To me, I don't even mind Fox's attempt at news, so much as the big fat obnoxious talking heads who get people riled up enough to do very UnAmerican things. Again, anyone who actually listens to Glen Beck is as crazy as he is. He's like Angry Video Game Nerd who causes treasonous acts in the ultra-right. Attacking Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers in such a way is dispicable. Even if the left were to say something idiotic about SS, I'd be furious. And some of them do... check out this howlingly unfunny comic strip whining about how SS is an evil right wing consumerist brainwashing organization. I'd love to punch that guy in the snoot, that's for sure.

I've said it before, there's a difference between ultra left slants and ultra right slants... People pay attention to the ultra right and take it seriously. The Ultra-left comes across as a disorganized mass of do nothings. And I'm no fan of them either... especially PETA. I'm just sick of this news culture where people watch more opinions and experts and soundbites that get taken out of context. I wanna hear JUST the facts and make my own opinion about things.

ferrell

Reaction score
I just watched the video and I've seen fox and friends quite often here and there and they are just mocking the whole thing,I don't see that the commentators actually believe this story,in fact the whole "He's an Evil Evil guy" comment seems to be sarcastic as well as oher things said,notice they keep on saying "They claim..." when they talk aout it,for those who watch this show will know that sometimes they joke around with certain stories,I think they were just having a little fun with it...I'm not sticking up for Fox or anything but in this case I think they are just jesting.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I just watched the video and I've seen fox and friends quite often here and there and they are just mocking the whole thing,I don't see that the commentators actually believe this story,in fact the whole "He's an Evil Evil guy" comment seems to be sarcastic as well as oher things said,notice they keep on saying "They claim..." when they talk aout it,for those who watch this show will know that sometimes they joke around with certain stories,I think they were just having a little fun with it...I'm not sticking up for Fox or anything but in this case I think they are just jesting.
That was my take on it exactly. A lot of it was done tongue-in-cheek.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
check out this howlingly unfunny comic strip whining about how SS is an evil right wing consumerist brainwashing organization. I'd love to punch that guy in the snoot, that's for sure.
I definitely agree with you there- that was incredibly stupid.
Don't know about the Fox News video- I hope they were just being sarcastic and not honestly mocking Mister Rogers or Sesame Street. Those are both great children's institutions that are time-honored and still provide great educational and edificational benefits for children. Mister Rogers in particular is a hero to me for the way he truly lived out what St. Francis of Assisi said- "Preach The Gospel always. If necessary, use words." Tom Brokaw once said of him, "The real Mister Rogers never used the word God on his show. He never had to."
(Mister Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister, for any who didn't know. And he considered television his special calling from God to share His love through that medium.)
And I love his simple message that still is so true for all of us. You are special just for being you- because God made you.
And he never had to beat any message into anyone to convey that- Mister Rogers just lived it out.
Anyone interested in reading more about Mister Rogers, his life and his Christian faith should definitely check out this wonderful book- "The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers" I've read it and read through it many times and there are parts where I cry. It's really incredible.
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Faith-Mister-Rogers-Spiritual/dp/0849918944/ref=pd_sim_b_3

JJandJanice

Reaction score
. And some of them do... check out this howlingly unfunny comic strip whining about how SS is an evil right wing consumerist brainwashing organization. I'd love to punch that guy in the snoot, that's for sure.
Yeah I've seen that comic before, it's is totally lame and unfunny. That guy just comes off snooty in it too.

He also did this really awful and I mean awful Carmac McCarthy does Toy Story 3. Really who finds this guy's work amusing?

I wanna hear JUST the facts and make my own opinion about things.
Excatly.

Yorick

Reaction score
It seems that Mr. Rogers only had love in his heart, and never used religion to scare people or hate others. We could use more like him. He was the real deal, and an incredible man.

Fox on the other hand...their people have so much hate. (Plus, as previously stated, it has been proven that they lie a lot.) My goal is not to change anyone, or to preach to the choir and alienate everyone who disagrees with me (like Fox enjoys doing). Fans of Fox have a right to their opinion, and so do the people at Fox - but when one shares their point of view, it shouldn't be done with that hateful witchhunt way of speaking. That is my point.

I hope I said it in away that's not offensive, and I wonder if this is the most heated political discussion here - I hope so, because politics aren't any fun. But I thank everyone here for their posts. It was a very good read.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Nicely said, Yorick. I totally agree with you- I get very tired of hateful witchhunt-type speech and actions no matter what point or side it is for. It especially irks me as a Christian when I see people who claim to follow Christ and yet ignore what He told us to do. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)
There is certainly time and place to state your views and stand your ground on moral points, but even so- Jesus told us to "speak the truth in love".
I don't really care if it's conservative FOX News or the other "liberal" news networks. (I say that facetiously though I will acknowledge there's probably some truth to a lot of news networks having some liberal leanings.) Ideally I would like to believe that all the news networks and newspapers and news magazines are truly what journalism is supposed to be- fair and balanced, without leaning to one side or the other. It's supposed to state the truth. Just the facts, ma'am.
And honestly, if they're willing to be up front about it and admit where they stand from the get go, there's certainly room for liberal news sources and conservative news sources. (Just look at political blogs on the Internet.) But whatever view point you're getting across, you can still hold firm to your beliefs and say them in a loving way. I'm glad that most all the members on here seem to do a really good job of that. Kermit and Jim would be proud.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that comic before, it's is totally lame and unfunny. That guy just comes off snooty in it too.

He also did this really awful and I mean awful Carmac McCarthy does Toy Story 3. Really who finds this guy's work amusing?
Honestly, the TS3 comic isn't half as insulting as the SS comic. That reminds me of the time some ultra-leftist attacked the episode of Sesame Street about Cookie Hood for being consumerist, when SS was trying to teach kids not to grow up to be thieves. Really, it's a kid's show with so much love and thought in it and anyone who can make up an excuse to say "I hate childhood because I had a cushy one I'm never going to let go of" just demeans the work that SS is trying to do.

Plus, I bet those comics are drawn by one of those rich spoiled brat posers that pretend to care about things, go to long boring documentary movies made by the same privileged kids and they don't actually open their wallets to help anyone out because that's one less iPhone or Johnny Cupcakes T-shirt they have in their collection for a week. See... I swing both ways.

Yorick

Reaction score
Thank you, GonzoLeaper, and well said on your part as well! :smile: And I'm not just saying that because you liked my post and backed me up :super: