Was Disney Desperate?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and not sound like a know it all here. Jim Lewis or Kert T. Thatcher never wrote for the Simpson's. They have been working for JHC and the Muppets for over 15 years or more now. At least one of them is still writeing if not both of them are. So how would it make them feel?
That was rather condescending and not completely accurate, but I'm letting that go because it likely wasn't intentional. :confused: go to imdb

Thatcher and Lewis worked on Oz and the Christmas special with Tom Martin. He's the one who worked on the Simpsons, Still Standing and other projects that don't exactly fit the Muppets. I tend to mark him for some of the unmuppety moments. :sympathy:

I certainly wasn't referring to Thatcher. In fact, I didn't mention him at all. I actually like his influence on the Muppets and really think he "gets it", well, most of it, with the Muppets. Time will tell if Segel can pull it off as good or better. :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ok it seems me and you are going to end up fighting. I'm at IMDB right now. I'm going to list who wrote Oz, and the christmas movie your talking about Ok maybe we can get to the end of this.

Muppets' Wizard of Oz

Debra Frank (Teleplay) (Televison Story)

Steve L. Hays (Telaplay) (Televison Story)

Tom Martan (Teleplay)

Adam Goldberg (Teleplay)

A Very Merry Muppet Christmas

Jim Lewis

Tom Marten

Now I am not going to really say anything to mess up a friendship with someone dear to my heart, so I'm not really going to say everything I know. I am just saying that i am starting to look at this movie a little diffrently.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What the hey?

Ok it seems me and you are going to end up fighting. I'm at IMDB right now. I'm going to list who wrote Oz, and the christmas movie your talking about Ok maybe we can get to the end of this.

Muppets' Wizard of Oz
Debra Frank (Teleplay) (Televison Story)
Steve L. Hays (Telaplay) (Televison Story)
Tom Martan (Teleplay)
Adam Goldberg (Teleplay)

A Very Merry Muppet Christmas
Jim Lewis
Tom Marten

Now I am not going to really say anything to mess up a friendship with someone dear to my heart, so I'm not really going to say everything I know. I am just saying that i am starting to look at this movie a little diffrently.
There was no fight in me. It's widely known and posted that recent Muppets projects have been influenced by Simpsons writers. For some reason you decided that I was speaking of Thatcher and others and kind of lashed out there before actually looking at exactly what was said or referencing the actual writing credits.

Reading back through the posts I really feel that there was some preexisting chip on your shoulder that had little to do with me or the actual content written in my post::
Originally Posted by frogboy4
I also have a feeling that whatever Bill Barretta and Brian Henson were cooking up that some of the humor (if not some story elements) will make its way into this project. It makes sense that he'd [Segel] go straight to the performers first rather than rely on Simpsons staff backup.
If I were wrong I'd admit it, but the fact is that Tom Martin (click here) wrote and produced for the Simpsons program and although I enjoy the yellow family their humor is different from the Muppets. He might not be to blame, but I'm not the first to pose the question. :search:

Why is it that so many people are hot around the collar when discussing this project? We all bring our own knowlege and input to the discussion. Nobody needs finger wagging or barking at. :sympathy:

Personally (except for some out of place snarky lines) I liked the TV specials and have remarked about it many time on the forum. I also believe in this project too - possibly more that a fan like us is writing and directing it. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ok cool i think we understand each other now i think I'm sorry i am in a lot of pain tonight and that may be why I'm being hatefull.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
ok cool i think we understand each other now i think I'm sorry i am in a lot of pain tonight and that may be why I'm being hatefull.
I'm sorry to hear that. I certainly don't think you were hateful. I've been known to post many times when I'm "on edge" :embarrassed:. It's rather epic. Certainly no harm done. I just needed to make sure you knew I wasn't trying to insult the people who have given us starving fans such Muppety goodness in recent years. I do hope you feel better.

You do pose an interesting quetion - How do Bill Barretta, Brian Henson, Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher think about Jason Segel's swift green light for this project? Come to think of it, how do the Muppeteers feel? He is a relative outsider, but he is a fan.