Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I may be hopeful, optimistic, naive, or all of the above, but WHV did a good job with the Looney Tunes sets, SOME of the Hanna-Barbera sets (such as the multiple Scooby Doo boxsets) and the Peanuts DVDs (truly awesome how lovingly they remastered the You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown DVD, I was expecting more of a longshot on that one).

If (IF being the optimal word here) having a video distribution deal with Sesame Workshop gives WHV as well as SW a conduit for releasing far more titles from the SW catalog (such as Ghost Writer, Square One Television, etc.), then the deal will be a good one. However, it remains to be seen if that will indeed be a good thing.

BJ

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I didn't even know Laff-a-Lypics was even on DVD. :insatiable:
The optimal word there is YET. They've announced it for release in January 2010, to coincide with the Winter Olympics in Vancouver (about time). I'll probably buy it because I loved watching that show when they were still showing Laff-A-Lympics on Boomerang. Plus, it sounds like it'll be a cheap DVD pickup. BONUS!

BJ

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, one thing that'd make an interesting release would be a three-disc "Sesame Street Christmas" release, featuring all six christmas specials (assuming Sesame Workshop owns A Special Sesame Street Christmas and that the music rights aren't troublesome... And that Warner and SW would be willing to release it), maybe a featurette or two, and the two Sesame Street News segments involving Santa Claus.

And man, if only Warner Bros. would have waited until the ACTUAL 25th anniversary of Follow That Bird to release a 25th anniversary addition... They would have been able top include some bonus clips from the show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, one thing that'd make an interesting release would be a three-disc "Sesame Street Christmas" release
I'm not exactly sure, but I BELIEVE there was a release like that a few years ago, only instead of all six specials, they were just simply DVD versions of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Elmo Saves Christmas and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays released in a three-disc boxed set, much like how Paramount did with the three Peanuts holiday specials (and I happy to own this set).

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
(and I happy to own this sex).
Hey, hey...family forum! :search: :grouchy:

I will withold judgement until I see some plans but I hope we get more Old School. I would even settle for just DVDs of the skits, I don't even need the entire episodes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure, but I BELIEVE there was a release like that a few years ago, only instead of all six specials, they were just simply DVD versions of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Elmo Saves Christmas and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays released in a three-disc boxed set, much like how Paramount did with the three Peanuts holiday specials (and I happy to own this set).
I know that. It was made before the last two christmas specials. In fact, Sony Wonder released two different three-disc sets (one with the packaging for all three releases included, one with one thing of packaging).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but is THIS what they're planning to do with classic clips? "Lookee! One classic segment! That'll make you fans happy. Now go out and buy some season set of a current TV show that didn't even finish it's season yet!"

If this is the case, I hope this license crashes and burns, leaving SW to look for someone competent for DVD releases.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but is THIS what they're planning to do with classic clips? "Lookee! One classic segment! That'll make you fans happy. Now go out and buy some season set of a current TV show that didn't even finish it's season yet!"

If this is the case, I hope this license crashes and burns, leaving SW to look for someone competent for DVD releases.
I wouldn't overreact just yet. I think this is only the second announced DVD from Warner Home Video, and it doesn't seem too different from what Sony and Genius have been doing. I mean, aside from the Old School and 40th anniversary DVDs, classic material on new DVDs has been semi-scarce (we have gotten some that had quite a bit of classic material, like A Celebration of Me, Grover! and Kids' Favorite Country Songs... The Play with Me Sesame DVDs also have a bit of "classic" material, though very few of it's from the 1970s). Heck, the stuff marketed mainly at adults have been scarce, with one a year (and no adult-marketed stuff in 2008).

And while we have gotten quite a few DVDs with bonus sketches since 2004, not every DVD since then has had bonus sketches. I am hopeful that Warner Home Video will release SOMETHING for the fans this year, but of course I don't know.

Heck, I wonder if we'll get anything with new footage this year. Since summer 2009 there haven't been any new Sesame Street DVD with new linking footage, nor have there been any announcements for such.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After thinking about the recently-announced springtime video only having one classic clip, a thought occurred to me. There really aren't many sketches about spring. The Cookie Bunny is close enough, as the Cookie Bunny is an obvious parody of the easter bunny, and easter comes in spring. All other inserts I know of that represent spring treat it equally with the other seasons (and that statement applies to one of the episodes included as well). Even "I'll Love You in the Spingtime" treats them all equally despite the song title. Man, this is making me wish for Sesame Street DVDs relating to summer and winter... At least there are plenty of classic clips relating more specifically to those seasons.

it's also interesting how the bonus clip is promoted on the cover... Have any previous Sesame Street DVDs promoted their bonus clips that way?