Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Every character should have a spotlight collection, even ones that had one before. Cookie Monsters Best Bites was followed by (quite some time later) C is for Cookie. If Telly had a best of, I'd leap at the chance of getting it.
Last year they put out the "Best of Friends" release (which will soon be released in stores other than Target) and that seemed like a good way of spotlighting all the current main characters (except for Baby Bear and Murray). I hope some more get released soon, especially for The Count.

Drtooth said:
As far as I'm concerned, I wanna see them do another "Best of Sesame Spoofs" compilation after the next season starts up. I mean, the parody segment has become so integral to the show's promotion now that every season has several. There was a lot left to be desired after the last collection that would be great on another.
That would be good. I wonder if it'd be called "Volumes 3 and 4". There's a lot of great classic spoofs that weren't on the last release (Miami Mice, Mysterious Theater, Squeal of Fortune, many Monsterpiece Theater segments), and if a new one came out I'd like it to have Birdwalk Empire and Upside-Downton Abbey.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think they pretty much covered most of the best spoofs in the first two volumes (except It's Hip to Be a Square). I think if there's another, it should be just one disc that's slightly over an hour.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking of what would make a good schedule for Sesame Street releases this year, after Elmo the Musical comes out:
June or July: A character spotlight video (preferably The Count or another Grover release) or a two-disc (or two-hour single-disc) celebration of Jerry Nelson on Sesame Street.
August: Either a single-disc release of two full episodes (like the Elmo's Magic Numbers release from last year) or a release of multiple street stories and inserts.
September: A video with original footage, hosted by Murray Monster.
October: A Target exclusive (seems the last two years Target put out exclusive releases around this time). I'd like a single-disc release of songs from the first 25 seasons.
November: Old School Volume 4. And if Sesame Workshop or Warner Home Video doesn't feel volume 3 sold well enough, then a collection of the show's best animation and film inserts.

I'll be surprised if we get all of these types of releases this year, though. But that'd all be great.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Since no one has posted about it yet, here's the next DVD which will be coming out 2 months and 2 days after Elmo The Musical is released:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_Playdate

Now, is it fair to assume that this will be Sesame Workshop and/or Warner Home Videos' idea of how they'll be releasing Sesame Street DVDs from now on?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Since no one has posted about it yet, here's the next DVD which will be coming out 2 months and 2 days after Elmo The Musical is released:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_Playdate

Now, is it fair to assume that this will be Sesame Workshop and/or Warner Home Videos' idea of how they'll be releasing Sesame Street DVDs from now on?
They did the same format of two full episodes last year with "Elmo's Magic Numbers."

I think the main format the DVDs are going for from now on is having virtually no original content, so they can get their monies worth from the newly produced material. Though, last year, three of the six DVDs they released had original material. The format they've been going for since around season 40 is "Three recent street stories with a segment in between."

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
They did the same format of two full episodes last year with "Elmo's Magic Numbers."

I think the main format the DVDs are going for from now on is having virtually no original content, so they can get their monies worth from the newly produced material. Though, last year, three of the six DVDs they released had original material. The format they've been going for since around season 40 is "Three recent street stories with a segment in between."
Ah, that's true. I never thought of it like that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For awhile I've thought that there should be a Sesame Street DVD themed around art. And interesting how this one has an episode from season 32. I was looking at the guide to see if it had anything from 1969-1990, but it looks like it doesn't (but maybe some of the non-Muppet inserts with eka's from the early 1990s might be 1980s).

I wonder if this will have any bonus clips (Elmo's Magic Numbers had all of the Pinball segments). I wouldn't be surprised if this one has ANOTHER release of the Bert's Bust clip (but that's a really great one, worthy of multiple releases). But then it would be great if it had one or all of the clips where Kermit draws with his finger. Or it could have the one where Ernie paints a picture of Bert. Or where Bert and Ernie cooperate to paint a picture. Or Ernie tracing Bert's face. Or maybe it'll have one or all of the Hero Guy segments (not as exciting a thought). Or maybe it won't have any bonus clips at all (last year there weren't as many DVDs with bonus clips, though the ones that did had many... The new trend seems to be including existing videos or video storybooks as bonuses).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've read it mentioned on Muppet Wiki, and I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I should point out that although the Elmo the Musical DVD comes out in a few weeks, it's already available at Wal-Mart.

Looking at the contents on Muppet Wiki, I'm surprised the episodes aren't in order. At least not broadcast order (maybe production order). The first one, Nacho the Musical, isn't included. Neither is Pizza the Musical, which I think premiered in the first week or two (but then again that one is in one of the episodes in the Arts and Crafts Playdate DVD).

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I've been thinking...as much as I want to see more classic episodes on DVD - complete seasons, random scenes here and there, anything - just like everyone else here, part of me insists that it's best they don't.

Why? Because they'll make tons of unnecessary edits like replacing the original title cards of certain segments with the updated versions, and cutting out scenes and sketches due to "rights issues" (or some other stupid excuse), even when said scenes are important to the episode.

To me, the only thing worse than old episodes not being released on DVD is old episodes heavily altered on DVD.

I'm willing to bet that if Julie on Sesame Street gets a DVD release, the first thing they're gonna axe is this number:

With all that said, I'd rather have crap quality yet complete episodes and specials than to have fully restored, heavily edited versions.