Video: "The Muppet Movie - The (Nearly) 35th Anniversary Edition" coming to Blu-Ray in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMan418

Reaction score

Date says TBA.
Well, this is something I'm looking forward to getting when it comes out. I have the recent DVD release from 2005, but I'm sure the restoration will look great. Hopefully, this release will have more bonus features and the DVD would have a widescreen/fullscreen selection like the 2005 DVD has.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Well, this is something I'm looking forward to getting when it comes out. I have the recent DVD release from 2005, but I'm sure the restoration will look great.
Heck, the footage in the trailer already looks better than the DVD version, so I'm sure this will look great on Blu-Ray. I'm just hoping we get a release date soon, because this will probably be a first-day pick-up for me. (And that's rare for me on anything but Barney DVDs, so that should say something)

Just for the record, my Muppet Movie DVD is the Columbia Tri-Star edition from 2001, but I'm pretty sure that uses the same transfer as the 2005 Disney edition.

Oh, and welcome to Muppet Central Forum, John! :smile:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Hubba wha?! JohnMan's here! :crazy: Oh joy. Welcome.

But yeah, this Blu-ray's going to be awesome. Hopefully it'll be out in the summer.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Just for the record, my Muppet Movie DVD is the Columbia Tri-Star edition from 2001, but I'm pretty sure that uses the same transfer as the 2005 Disney edition.
It actually seems like Disney used the master print Sony used for their DVD but cleaned it up a little bit. It was an improvement, but not noticeable enough unless you are watching both versions side-by-side. But this new HD master looks much better.

anathema

Reaction score
The "extended" UK version of the Electric Mayhem's intro scene is missing a couple of lines:

It skips from :sing:: Zoot, sax is your axe,
to Animal's intro while omitting the following lines:

:sing:: Uh-oh, Zoot skipped a groove again.
:flirt:: Wow, like, I'm Janice, I'm lead guitar, for surely.

If they decide to include an extended version of the Electric Mayhem's intro and Kermit's plot summary with the visual footage, it would probably be best to make a composite scene from the US and UK versions, retaining all the dialogue from the band's intro, along with the flashback clips of Kermit's and Fozzie's adventures.....

The Muppet Movie - Dr Teeth Reads The Script (Extended Scene) - YouTube
No, the UK scene is complete. Unfortunately the print used for the early home video releases was badly damaged - from memory, there were a couple of dozen physical breaks in the film, resulting in the loss of several minutes of material. The scene you describe should include those lines of dialogue. The original theatrical UK release of the film runs about three minutes longer than the US cut.

All in all, those early releases were very poor - low-resolution, bits missing and a very poor transfer. Whether this is the reason later releases switched to the shorter cut of the film used for the US I don't know.

snichols1973

Reaction score
No, the UK scene is complete. Unfortunately the print used for the early home video releases was badly damaged - from memory, there were a couple of dozen physical breaks in the film, resulting in the loss of several minutes of material. The scene you describe should include those lines of dialogue. The original theatrical UK release of the film runs about three minutes longer than the US cut.

All in all, those early releases were very poor - low-resolution, bits missing and a very poor transfer. Whether this is the reason later releases switched to the shorter cut of the film used for the US I don't know.
After hearing that the UK print got badly damaged, it sort of reminds me of what happened with the Swedish Chef in the projection room during TMM:

:hungry:: Gersh gurndy morn-dee, burn-dee, burn-dee,
flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip.....

MuppetDanny

Reaction score

Did Germany have the same cut? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere some VHS prints had the cut as the UK.

anathema

Reaction score
I don't know. The only German home-video release I've seen is the early-90s Buena Vista tape, which was the same as the US releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.